Just spent 10 days at the World with scooters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugsbunny

Original Poster
Here we go again....I don't think there's a popcorn bucket big enough for these kinds of threads....

Here's a cliffs notes version for those interested:

1.) Person complains about amount of ECV's and rudeness, traffic problems
2.) Some people agree
3.) Some people say it should only be for those with medical problems
4.) Some people act very offended and say not all people who are fat drive ECV's just because of it
5.) Other people claim that it's still worse than years ago
6.) Someone else chimes in they were hit/saw someone get hit by one
7.)...........and round and round it goes.

Yes, I agree 100%. Didn't want to start the thread, but needed to vent. Just felt like there were two classes of people on my trip and it obvious from the looks, neither one cared for each other.

scout68

It takes one test for me to spot an ECV "pirate"... If your shoes be worn as the ships wheel then you be needin' to hoof it in the world as well. :wave:

palmage

Here we go again....I don't think there's a popcorn bucket big enough for these kinds of threads....

2.) Some people agree
4.) Some people act very offended and say not all people who are fat drive ECV's just because of it
You forgot the part where all those people chime in and say it's a thyroid issue.

LoriMistress

Fat+Human.jpg

3321829085_d7c38f2efd.jpg

No comment other than I really LIKED WALLE :)

I like Wall-E too! Good call.

I've seen many threads regarding obese people and their use of scooters. I believe both sides makes some valid points. Now, I'm over weight (I need to drop at least two dress sizes). I was a lot fatter about three years ago, but I put the time and effort to exercise and cut back on my calorie intake. And before my last trip to WDW I dropped three dress sizes. Was it easy? No. But I'm a lot healthier than I was before. It's a struggle every day, but I believe my health is important. I don't need to be thin; but I want to be tone and healthy. I feel bad for people who are that obese that they need to roll around in a scooter. You can tell what their addiction is. It's so easy to say, "Just put the fork down, fatty. And run around the block." But cutting back on food and exercising won't help the person who's obese/over weight until the person has resolved all of their emotional baggage. There is a REASON why these people have turned to food as their vice. I'm not making excuses for them, but I can understand why they got obese/over weight because I was them (and in some ways I'm still that way). Did they put themselves in that situation? Yes. Can they do something about it? Of course they can. Some people on the other end mention that the person is over weight, but they also have other health problems (diabetes, etc.) But A LOT of those medical conditions are caused because the person is obese/over weight. I feel bad for people that have to rely on a scooter to be mobile.

mousegeezer

How about giving etiquette lessons those scooter riders and the yuppie mothers that use strollers to shove through crowds. I don't think I would be so upset if they did not use those things to bully their way through the rest of us. :shrug:

rsoxguy

I believe that WDWMAGIC has a variety to choose from. Voice your opinion on a model before the choice is made for you. Thank you for shopping at Locks-Are Us! :)

MasterLock-main_Full.jpg

lock.jpg

bigstockphoto_Security_Pad_Locks_40080-thumb.jpg

JediMasterMatt

I'm not talking legit handicaps where you need a wheelchair or have an obvious ailment, I'm talking about people that have only one affliction: obesity.

Bugs, I'm not picking on you or perhaps I'm a bit overly sensitive about the subject today because I've just spent the last 8hrs with my wife in two doctor's appointments... but... there is a word mentioned above that is very much at the heart of the matter.

"obvious"

That's the problem word. It's a word that is the cause of many additional words, thoughts, and feelings.

I don't think anyone would argue about how someone feels about another person or group of persons that they have definative knowledge where someone knowingly manipulates a system for their advantage. Most everyone is capable of feeling the consequences of an injustice that they observe.

Again, the key word is "obvious". How do you know what is obvious when it comes to the reason why someone chooses to use a wheelchair or an ECV? Is it when you see someone who is obese using a vehicle? Is it when you see a person in a wheelchair stand up without effort? Is it when you see person after person go by you while you are in line and question their disability when it isn't obvious to everyone?

I don't know the answers to the question above.

What I do know is the word "obvious" isn't the right way to think about it. Unfortunately, I now have first hand knowledge of why you can't think this way. My wife and I are now facing the tough decision of if an ECV is needed for her on our forthcoming vacation. Due to a chemical spill at her workplace, she now has a severe disability that leaves her with an acute asthma like condition. In addition to not being able to breathe, she has no stamina. Outwardly, she doesn't appear to be disabled if you don't catch her in one of her constant coughing attacks, wheezing, or using one of her many inhaled medications. Her condition is so severe, that she decided it wasn't worth getting sick going with me to Disney earlier this month so it doesn't jeopardize our annual annivesary trip in early February.

Not more than 15 minutes before reading this post, we were on the way back from the doctor's office discussing renting an ECV. We talked about if she wanted to "cut in line" and "get the evil look" from the other guests. She exactly said that she doesn't want people to think she's not disabled because she doesn't look sick. Again, "obvious" is the key word. Ultimately, it a choice she is going to have to make on her own. I don't know how much fun it would be sitting down at waist level all day long. Not seeing over a crowd. Getting those accusing eyes sent your way all day long. I'm sharing with her my thoughts and letting her decide what is appropriate for her.

"Obvious" is a bad word in my opinion. I think the more appropriate way to describe how people feel about what is being discussed in this thread is "control". The question is why don't people have the self control to make the choices I described above when they decide to use an ECV or wheelchair and instead lack the self control when they try to take advantage of a situation by using an ECV or wheelchair. There are multiple reasons why people use these mobility devices. Sometimes it is because they need to. Sometimes it is because they want to. Self control (or lack of) why be the reason why they are in a position where they need to use an ECV.

The one thing I do know is that over the last two years, my thoughts and feelings about this subject have changed considerably now that I have see the other side.

BTW - this problem with the "obvious" isn't just a WDW issue. My wife deals with this daily when she decides to use a handicap parking place at the store.

[Steps down off the soapbox]

LilMommyBug

I take offense to the fact that you have ASSUMED that they are in a motorized scooter because they are obese, rather than the fact that they could be obese because they are not able to move around like us "Normal Sized" people. Just because someone is able to move around and do some physical things does not mean that they are capable of living a normal life. Perhaps they have circulatory issues where if they walk all day they get Edema and have other complications. Perhaps they have had a hip replaced, or a knee and cannot take the abuse of a ten mile walk on concrete all day.

I believe there is a saying about "Walking a mile in someone else's shoes". Perhaps we should think about this before we pass judgement on others.

I agree that the policy for scooters is out of control. The problem lies with the fact that the Queue systems are not designed to handle the size of a scooter or wheel chair, so they must take alternative routes. As new rides are put in, the thought is being taken to think about all people being able to wait in the same lines. However, when you have constantly moving attractions, it will take some special needs to handle the equipment that people are using whether it be a regular or motorized wheelchair.

I understand the frustration, but don't label people as just being obese, but rather think that they may have some affliction that you are fortunate enough not to have to bear yourself.

Just my $.02

Dizneykev

Yup. My "normal" sized father had a stroke & ended up in a wheelchair the remainder of his life which caused him to gain a LOT of weight. It wasn't because he was lazy - it was because he simply could not get up and exercise.

kimmychad

For your information, on the majority of the rides, if the person using the ECV is merely obese and is completely able to walk i.e. transfer to the ride vehicle without issue, then the CMs tell them to park the ECV and go through the regular line. Only guests using the ECV with an obvious handicap are allowed to bypass the line if necessary because the standby line does not accommodate ECVs/Wheelchairs.

I was unfortunately enough to have to use an ECV on my trip last week due to having stress fractures and a walking cast. There only 4 lines that I truly "bypassed" and those were for Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Snow White and SSE. Everything else I either had to go through the line like everyone else or I went through the fastpass line WITH a fastpass or with a return pass given to me by the CMs working the line because I could not walk through the line. For example I could not take the stairs in Space Mountain's queue.

Just because a wheelchair/ECV goes through a handicapped entrance, doesn't necessarily mean that they get on the attraction any faster than the standby line. In fact for Spaceship Earth, we waited longer than the standby line did. The standby line was 10 minutes but we waited over 20 minutes to board because they waited for about 6 people in wheelchairs to show up before they allowed us to board.

When I was waiting for my return pass to be written at Buzz Lightyear, I watched one of your obese Americans ride up on and ECV and cut in front of me, I had pulled back from the fastpass line to allow others access, and try to get into the fastpass line without a fastpass. He figured because I was waiting there he could go in that way with his ECV. The CM writing my pass, refused him entry and told him in no uncertain terms that he had to park his ECV and WALK through the standby line if he wanted to ride. I was allowed to take my ECV through due to the obvious cast on my foot.

Oh and Bugsbunny...for your information, not all ECV users are American. I'm Canadian and I used it on this trip due to an injury I sustained a month before my trip. I tried my best not to run into people but when people purposely walk not even an inch in front of me while looking directly at me, I can't help it if I run into you. Believe me, being in an ECV was the last thing I wanted but it allowed me to go and enjoy my vacation with my mother.

Using common sense in this thread will be very difficult, please just give in.

The Mom

Premium Member

2.) Some people agree

Throw in the hidden medical problems issue, and with some insulting all obese people while others get offended, and you've got it covered. ;) And since no one has ever come up with any information that will change anyone's mind, the discussion is pretty much over before it begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom