Just Released- 2015 Itinerary

mammaminnie

Original Poster
Typically cruise prices open low. As the rooms sell the supply goes down so prices go up. Things like IGT/OGT/VGT get offered if they aren't filling a ship. GTY is when a stateroom category is almost sold out. They offer a GTY rate, not much of a discount, guaranteeing at least that category but possibly a better one. No room number is given until closer to sailing. Basically, a GTY booking is a wild card when final room assignments are being made. So, yes, opening day is the best way to lock in a price that's low. Holding out for discounts can be a bit of a gamble. Opening day prices are low. Discounts sometimes get lower than opening day but not always.

Military rates many times follow the same manner. They are offered more in off-season and on cruises that aren't filling up. They can definitely be hit or miss for dates and itineraries. Right now, the only military discounts available are for Apr 3, 10 and 27- all 3 night Bahamian cruises.

mammaminnie

Original Poster
I'm on a cruise this summer. Usually they give a 10% discount for booking onboard. Might that make the most sense?

In addition to possible Blackout dates, by waiting until this summer, you also run the risk of not getting the category stateroom that you want (especially for the popular itineraries).

tracyandalex

thanks @sweetpee_1993 We have generally done florida resident rates in the past and we did a VGT this year, but it looks like for some of the more awesome cruises we'll have to be ready for opening day! I imagine there aren't many discounts on the med and baltic and even alaska cruises. thankfully we have few more years to plan before DD5 is really old enough for the cooler cruises.

Ralphlaw

Information overload. But with that being said, when do y'all think the DCL website will start allowing people like me to "Find a Cruise"? Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about both a Northern Europe AND a Norway cruise, back to back. Hey, it's only money, and if we're going to blow all that money on flights, we might as well make it all worthwhile.

mammaminnie

Original Poster
Information overload. But with that being said, when do y'all think the DCL website will start allowing people like me to "Find a Cruise"? Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about both a Northern Europe AND a Norway cruise, back to back. Hey, it's only money, and if we're going to blow all that money on flights, we might as well make it all worthwhile.

They should be available for searching on Thursday when booking is released to the general public. I think a back to back Northern and Norway would be a dream cruise!!!

sweetpee_1993

I think we're going to shoot again for PC in May. Pushed it off this year because timing wasn't looking good for hubby. Next year it'll be Chandler's graduation cruise. Literally. He wants me to give him his diploma onboard a Disney ship. Definitely sucks that there's no stop at CC or even Key West. Maybe we'll consider something else. Have to consider quick so we can book tomorrow. :D

PensFan

FWIW - I just spoke to a DCL phone agent and she told me that there were no blackout dates listed for the Magic in the summer of 2015. I hope she's right!! Norway / Iceland you are calling our names!

Ralphlaw

Dumb question: What is a blackout date? It seems whenever we wanted to go, we were able to go. Does that have to do with cast members not getting discounts for certain dates? Or lepers? Or terrorists? Or disco fans? I hope I don't fall into one of the forbidden categories. I am a lawyer, so perhaps, well . . . whatever.

PensFan

Blackout dates refer to dates that you cannot use your onboard booking discount. For example, we booked a dummy cruise when we sailed on the Fantasy last summer and are looking to change it to the booking we actual want to sail in 2015. I was afraid that the new northern Europe cruises could be blacked out. Hopefully the agent was correct and we'll be fine. (not sure about a lawyer though )

mammaminnie

Original Poster
Just what PensFan said :) Typically though all cruise dates are black out dates for terrorists ;) Disco fans on the other hand tend to be the life of the party! We will have official confirmation on black out dates tomorrow when booking opens for Gold and Platinum.

joanna71985

As I don't think I'm going to be able to afford anything overseas (not right now anyway), I think I'll be looking at either Alaska or Panama Canal. Is there any chance of Hawaii being added?

216bruce

Been on hold for 62 minutes. Boy, they could at least have a take-your request DJ on the phone to take requests for your favorite Disney on hold music. LOL

216bruce

Been on hold for 62 minutes. Boy, they could at least have a take-your request DJ on the phone to take requests for your favorite Disney on hold music. LOL
It took 2 hours and 10 minutes. Got a 12 night Northern Europe and, as a unexpected bonus, the same stateroom we had a few years ago for a Med cruise. Perfect. Now, if could only get the "on-hold' voice out of my head...

mammaminnie

Original Poster
I'm at 2 hours 20 minutes and still waiting :) That's awesome that you got what you wanted!!! Still not black out dates for Europe?

ChuckElias

In doing this, you run the risk of a category being sold out and the prices might be higher then.
Might? :)

Might as well get a deposit down on it now. Then go to the Future Cruise Desk while you're onboard and re-price it. If it comes out cheaper (including the onboard credit), then cancel the original one and book it at the lower price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom