Just got back from my 11 day stay. We had a blast but feel extorted by Mickey Mouse.

NickMaio

Everything has a price at Di$
ney anymore it's such a shame. You want a dessert party-pay the mouse, you want a villain party-pay the mouse, you want to see a parade at night-pay the mouse, you want to park at the resort your staying at now-pay the mouse. We usually go every other year and don't do all of the extras but it is still getting crazy with what is being charged. The same room we stayed in last Sept will now be $50 more a night next Sept, WOW.
50 more a night........wow thats nuts.
We almost always stay off property. A kitchen is a must do for us while away. We tried the WDW hotels, moderate and value, the park food was killing our stomaches by day 3.
I did not know it was THAT high of an increase to stay with the mouse.

FettFan

The complaints about bottled water don’t register with me. Every theme park in the world has expensive bottled water. Bottled water at an MLB or NFL game is even more. You can get tap water for free at the park or, if the taste does not suit you, you can have cases of bottled water delivered to your room.

Or just get a Nalgene bottle or two and fill them up with the bottled water of your choice from the nearest Walgreens/Wal Mart/CVS/Gas Station.

Thanks to Disney's contract with Coca-Cola, the only bottled water you can get there is Dasani....a bottled water with enough in the way of mineral additives in it that for whatever reason makes you MORE thirsty as you drink it.
gmcdowell005.jpg

Maybe that's the idea....

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Or just get a Nalgene bottle or two and fill them up with the bottled water of your choice from the nearest Walgreens/Wal Mart/CVS/Gas Station.

Thanks to Disney's contract with Coca-Cola, the only bottled water you can get there is Dasani....a bottled water with enough in the way of mineral additives in it that for whatever reason makes you MORE thirsty as you drink it.
gmcdowell005.jpg

Yert3

Just got back from a trip to New Orleans. That was much more expensive than a trip to WDW.
Agreed. Every time we’ve vacationed somewhere other than Disney, it’s always been way more money. Not even in the same ballpark. So while Disney is expensive, I don’t exactly get why people think it’s way more money than another destination. From personal experience, it’s way way less.

drizgirl

Agreed. Every time we’ve vacationed somewhere other than Disney, it’s always been way more money. Not even in the same ballpark. So while Disney is expensive, I don’t exactly get why people think it’s way more money than another destination. From personal experience, it’s way way less.
That really depends greatly on how you vacation at Disney (Deluxe with dining plan? Value with snacks you carry in?) and how you vacation elsewhere (a week at the beach in a modest condo? A week at a 5 star resort?).

CAV

I agree WE accepted it it was just very noticeable. On everything from water to beer and food. Kid meals are now 12.99 at some of the fast food services for 4 chicken nuggets and fries? Not complaining just saw a difference over the last couple years
Now, more than ever. (What genius thought that advertising slogan was a good idea?)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just got back from a trip to New Orleans. That was much more expensive than a trip to WDW.
Interesting. I too went to New Orleans in 2019 and I found it less expensive.

From personal experience I find Disney to be far more expensive. I don’t recall any other vacation where I routinely dropped $30+ for a child’s meal.

rsm

I respectfully disagree that “extorted” can be used to describe an experience where all prices were available to view before purchasing.

All menu prices for each restaurant are available online. Unless you’re hit with unadvertised fees upon arrival or you’re charged more than you were told you’d be charged it’s not extortion it’s just a lack of research.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I respectfully disagree that “extorted” can be used to describe an experience where all prices were available to view before purchasing.

All menu prices for each restaurant are available online. Unless you’re hit with unadvertised fees upon arrival or you’re charged more than you were told you’d be charged it’s not extortion it’s just a lack of research.
It’s called hyperbole chief. It’s not extortion. It’s absurdist.

bjlc57

gmcdowell005.jpg

think about this .. Coca Cola is Made with purified water.. and its less then Dasani.. which is the same purified water USED TO MAKE COKE..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
11 day trip!? Well, yea, that is going to cost ya! :p

Most families in the U.S. can afford it, depending on priorities and frequency. [Everything that follows assumes no medical issues. Those can throw a wrench in any well thought out plan]

Just an example here.... take a family of 4 where both adults smoke 1 pack a day. Quit smoking (+$4000)and you can afford an annual 5 day visit in a music resort (you'd have to drive there to make that price-point). Remove from your budget movies, eating out, alcohol, and other vacations and you can really upgrade your trip. Go every 3 years and you are now talking luxury resorts.

I know, I know, there are exceptions. Single parent/income families come to mind. Families where there are truly no luxuries what-so-ever. But the average family, depending on priorities, can afford it. ...supported by ---> U.S. Income

Digressing for a minute.. I have a friend who is super broke. Cannot afford anything. Certainly cannot afford a WDW trip. Which is true, but the reason he cannot afford it, is he bought a $350,000 house with pool!! :rolleyes: Monthly house payments are almost the price of a cheap trip. Almost. ....Needless to say my sympathy levels are minimal.
😳
How many people still smoke a pack a day of cigarettes? Or smoke in general? Am I just living in la la land to suggest this?
No...it’s 2019. Nobody does this...certainly not the clientele Disney is looking for...

The 60’s ended

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Speaking as a physician, sadly you are living in la la land to suggest this. The average is still around 20% for the total smoking US population. And the epidemic of E-cigs is hitting the teen population hard.

Getting back to the point of the thread... I budget a little differently but not a whole lot differently for my trips. I only feel the need, on average, to go every 2 years, which I think helps my attitude towards the price increases. They still suck but because I’m not going multiple times a year, I’m willing to be more splurgy and let some of the increases roll off my back when I do go. And when I’m there, I’m not overly thinking about what I’m spending (within reason).

The biggest thing for me is that I’m generally not willing to pay for the Deluxe resorts anymore. I see no point to spending 500+ per night as a non-DVC member for a hotel room I don’t spend a lot of time in. That’s where Disney has lost my money but staying in the moderates has also meant occasionally longer trips than I would have taken otherwise, so I suppose it balances.
Do you have demographics on where those figures are concentrated and the relative income levels?

It’s not “1 out of 5” walking the street.

plutofan15

I agree WE accepted it it was just very noticeable. On everything from water to beer and food. Kid meals are now 12.99 at some of the fast food services for 4 chicken nuggets and fries? Not complaining just saw a difference over the last couple years.
Where did you spend $12.99 on a kids four piece chicken nugget meal?? At Cosmic Ray's the 8 piece entrée meal with fries is $9.99.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where did you spend $12.99 on a kids four piece chicken nugget meal?? At Cosmic Ray's the 8 piece entrée meal with fries is $9.99.
If you’re willing to eat cosmic rays

...I think you might be a tad too literal. The point is the price of food has gone up consistently and a lot. Not really a point of contention.

Naplesgolfer

I would like to see myself in a beloved ride as something other than a victim of implied assault or a stereotypical housewife...just saying.

As I am sure you realize POTC is a depiction of Pirate's attacking and sacking a town in the early 1700's. Having women with brooms chasing pirates and a chicken auction are historically inaccurate and a poster child for political correctness. We shouldn't be trying to rewrite history. Depicting things as they did or would have happened doesn't mean we don't agree they where horrible events and are glad things are different now.

Last edited:

NickMaio

As I am sure you realize POTC is a depiction of Privates attacking and sacking a town in the early 1700's. Having women with brooms chasing pirates and a chicken auction are historically inaccurate and a poster child for political correctness. We shouldn't be trying to rewrite history. Depicting things as they did or would have happened doesn't mean we don't agree they where horrible events and are glad things are different now.
I am pretty sure that when POTC opened that it was the men chasing the women on the circular moving platform. It got changed a while ago to the women chasing men. Long before the Red Head was changed.

Darth Figment

The price is taking its toll , me and my girlfriend go every year , 1st week of November. Been every year for the past 8yrs or so, 4 or 5 days , port orleans hotel, park hopper , deluxe dining plan . Spend about 2800$ roughly. Our next trip September 2020, 3800$ . BUT, we are staying at the Caribbean hotel. Getting $$$$$

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom