Just got back from my 11 day stay. We had a blast but feel extorted by Mickey Mouse.

Tom P.

You don't figure depreciation unless ownership is involved.
Why do you say that?

All cars go down in value. The more miles you put on a car, the less it's worth. That is true regardless of whether you have a car loan or own the car free and clear. In either case, the car is still yours, you're going to want to sell or trade it some day, and you're decreasing its value by adding miles.

I'm not saying you shouldn't drive to Disney. We do too. I'm just saying that depreciation is always a factor in calculating the operating costs of a car.

Last edited:

Disney.Mike

This is highly dependent on where you live and what days you can travel.

Absolutely... We have a low cost carrier in Gulfport (my closest airport) that will run about $150 but they only fly 2 days a week, and it's just seasonal... That's not counting the insane fees they nickle and dime you with

Delta flys Gulfport buy everything goes through Atlanta and cost $400 a ticket. By the time I factor in the Atlanta layover minimal time is saved. Certainly not enough to justify the 1800-2000 cost of family airfare

Last option is to drive to New Orleans and catch a flight.. but the airport is 1 1/2 hours away and it's a crap airport to get parked and through... So we need to leave at least 3 hours before boarding... Flights go from 350 up ... Not worth spending 1500+ to save maybe 3 hours

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Why do you say that?

All cars go down in value. The more miles you put on a car, the less it's worth. That is true regardless of whether you have a car loan or own the car free and clear. In either case, the car is still yours, you're going to want to sell or trade it some day, and you're decreasing its value by adding miles.

I'm not saying you shouldn't drive to Disney. We do too. I'm just saying that depreciation is always a factor in calculating the operating costs of a car.
If you lease a car, the lessor eats the depreciation. As an owner, you eat it, thus raising your TCO and cost per mile.

graphite1326

From personal experience I find Disney to be far more expensive. I don’t recall any other vacation where I routinely dropped $30+ for a child’s meal.
[/QUOTE]

That's what it would be anywhere else you vacation.

graphite1326

How? I work in the CBD there and can't fathom how it's more expensive unless you paid for non stop tourist trap experience after experience
There are no Value resorts in NOLA. Unless you want a dive off the beaten path. And of course you do the tourist things. It's why you go there. Isn't that what we do at WDW also.

Trackmaster

Luckily my family can afford it but I do not know how a normal family can do it. I know people write about this all the time but we can definitely see the difference over the last couple of years. By the way a little trivia question for you. "In living with the land what is the name of the family in the farmhouse scene. Its on the mailbox"

Hilarious. Completely "burying the lead." You make a controversial, interesting topic, and then post something completely uninteresting and borderline spam at the end. I'm glad nobody take that bait, but I'd prefer your take on the issue, and what some of the costs were that led to the overrun.

Personally, I think that its affordable if its just a couple, a zen trip, or a friends group. I don't know why a family with 2-3 kids would spend that kind of money when you have to multiply it by the extra mouths to feed, and you're supposed to be saving for college, your mortgage, etc. A lot of adults loves Disney, but people are just too afraid to call out the truth: its just not a practical investment for kids when its so pricey. I think that regional amusement parks, local fairs, and arcade parks make more sense for kids. I could see maybe Disney being a reward for straight A's or something....

Trackmaster

I don’t think owning the car or not factors into the calculation. According to AAA, the cost is calculated by factoring in things like fuel, depreciation***, insurance, maintenance, repairs, tires, etc. If you’re paying $500/month on a car payment, that’s totally separate.

It depends on the lease contract. If you have unlimited miles and they take care of all of your check-ups, then sure there's no real wear and tear cost, and you can go to town on the miles. However, you still have the risk of accident, where you may be on the hook for damage to the car, and/or see your insurance rates go up. Plus, this opens up the can of worms of the extreme danger of driving/riding in a passenger automobile as opposed to flying, taking, the bus, or train. Stepping into a car is always a huge risk per mile, but especially around Orlando and Kissimmee. And, if the lease contract does cap miles, then you'll need to ration your miles, and work to keep it under the threshold, or pay a premium out of pocket for every mile you drive.

***Everyone is getting the word "depreciation" wrong. Depreciation is an accounting account that uses a set formula to recognize expense on income statement. Its arbitrary, and does not factor in actual use, just predicted use. Wear and tear is what you're talking about. That's the actual process of something losing value as a result of normal use.

21stamps

Hilarious. Completely "burying the lead." You make a controversial, interesting topic, and then post something completely uninteresting and borderline spam at the end. I'm glad nobody take that bait, but I'd prefer your take on the issue, and what some of the costs were that led to the overrun.

Personally, I think that its affordable if its just a couple, a zen trip, or a friends group. I don't know why a family with 2-3 kids would spend that kind of money when you have to multiply it by the extra mouths to feed, and you're supposed to be saving for college, your mortgage, etc. A lot of adults loves Disney, but people are just too afraid to call out the truth: its just not a practical investment for kids when its so pricey. I think that regional amusement parks, local fairs, and arcade parks make more sense for kids. I could see maybe Disney being a reward for straight A's or something....

It’s not an investment comparable to savings, it’s a vacation, for experience and memories. Same as any other vacation.
Take a look at some prices for a hotel/food/drinks/tickets at a regional amusement park, you might be shocked.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It depends on the lease contract. If you have unlimited miles and they take care of all of your check-ups, then sure there's no real wear and tear cost, and you can go to town on the miles. However, you still have the risk of accident, where you may be on the hook for damage to the car, and/or see your insurance rates go up. Plus, this opens up the can of worms of the extreme danger of driving/riding in a passenger automobile as opposed to flying, taking, the bus, or train. Stepping into a car is always a huge risk per mile, but especially around Orlando and Kissimmee. And, if the lease contract does cap miles, then you'll need to ration your miles, and work to keep it under the threshold, or pay a premium out of pocket for every mile you drive.

***Everyone is getting the word "depreciation" wrong. Depreciation is an accounting account that uses a set formula to recognize expense on income statement. Its arbitrary, and does not factor in actual use, just predicted use. Wear and tear is what you're talking about. That's the actual process of something losing value as a result of normal use.
I think we're using depreciation to describe the difference between purchase price and resale value as I don't know many people who can write off their personal vehicle.

Total cost of ownership/miles driven = cost per mile. That's where I'm going. AAA studies aside, here's a real-world example. My 2002 Chrysler Voyager base model. Paid 20K to buy it, and I've put just over 16K in maintenance and repairs in it. Insurance over its life has cost about 13K and I've burned roughly $20K in fuel over the years. Not including registration fees, TCO is just about $69K, putting my cost per mile at $.70.

If I had leased it, my experience would have ended at 3 years, making my CPM for this vehicle much lower. But my other point remains valid -- people don't feel the CPM because it's not a cash outlay at the time. It nibbles at them every six months or so when they do maintenance or get broken things fixed. (Or when they update their TCO spreadsheet.)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
2) No park hoppers. They are a waste of money if you’re staying more than a few days. It’s too time consuming to jump between parks every day.
If youre staying off-site, sure, it can be time consuming because you need to exit the park, get to your car, and drive to the next park. Or take Disney transportation to the next park, but you still need to get your car later. Staying on-site eliminates that problem.

Its even easier and convenient if you are staying at one of the resorts near a park. We stay at Boardwalk and we can catch a bus to MK in the morning and return to our room for our break and then walk to Epcot or HS. Staying off-site is cheaper, but the value, convenience and time you save by staying on-site offers good value to many people and adding the park hopper is great for those who do not want to stay in the same park all day long lugging around a cooler, bags, etc. And then have to drive back to an off-site resort at the end of the day. Especially during the very hot times of year, which is almost all year round in Fla.

38053WDW

In planning our trip we take the day we are going to MNSSHP and subtract one day off a ticket admission. That ticket alone will almost set you back a day at the park ticket, so we just take it easy that day and then head over to the MK around 3PM.. they usually start letting you in around then.

Tom P.

That is one definition of depreciation, but it is not the only one. Depreciation doesn't just refer to writing off the value of the asset over several years in accounting. It also refers to the general loss of value of an item over time.

From m-w.com:
a: to lower the price or estimated value of
b: to deduct from taxable income a portion of the original cost of (a business asset) over several years as the value of the asset decreases

Clearly, on personal vehicles, the latter is not going to apply. But the first definition definitely does.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom