Just got back from my 11 day stay. We had a blast but feel extorted by Mickey Mouse.

thomas998

The complaints about bottled water don’t register with me. Every theme park in the world has expensive bottled water. Bottled water at an MLB or NFL game is even more. You can get tap water for free at the park or, if the taste does not suit you, you can have cases of bottled water delivered to your room.
My only complaint on the water is I don't think you can find water from a fountain that tastes as nasty as the stuff in WDW. It is almost as if they add disgusting flavoring to the water just to push you to buy the bottled stuff.... And I've traveled all over the country and have never tasted water that is consistently as bad as Disney fountain water.

eliza61nyc

My only complaint on the water is I don't think you can find water from a fountain that tastes as nasty as the stuff in WDW. It is almost as if they add disgusting flavoring to the water just to push you to buy the bottled stuff.... And I've traveled all over the country and have never tasted water that is consistently as bad as Disney fountain water.

lol, that must be a challenge because I swear Philadelphia has got to be number one. We have a joke around here that we are America's birthplace and the water taste like Ben Franklin bathed in it. I really can't understand how one of the country's major cities has water that taste this bad!!

Tony the Tigger

How many people still smoke a pack a day of cigarettes? Or smoke in general? Am I just living in la la land to suggest this?

B42389CE-C946-489C-AAE3-93F6F4EC4597.jpeg

gmk3855

Everything has a price at Di$
ney anymore it's such a shame. You want a dessert party-pay the mouse, you want a villain party-pay the mouse, you want to see a parade at night-pay the mouse, you want to park at the resort your staying at now-pay the mouse. We usually go every other year and don't do all of the extras but it is still getting crazy with what is being charged. The same room we stayed in last Sept will now be $50 more a night next Sept, WOW.

donnylambb

Original Poster
Well I’m not sure where you stayed, but a Deluxe or Mod resort will certainly add up over 11 days! I’m going to go on a whim and say you stayed at least Mod for 11 days... I don’t think most people have the patience to stay at a Value that long.

Here’s how most families can afford it, including mine. We are basically a one-career family though my wife brings in side money:

1) Don’t stay 11 days. We stay for 7.
2) No park hoppers. They are a waste of money if you’re staying more than a few days. It’s too time consuming to jump between parks every day.
3) Don’t do the dining plan. Paying out of pocket is cheaper. Only do a couple table service meals per trip.
4) Don’t drink alcohol while at Disney. Ridiculously priced and in my opinion alcohol detracts from the magic. I certainly don’t expect people to share this view, of course.
5) Have a set souvenir budget and stick to it.
6) Drive, if possible. Not everyone can do this. We live 15 hours away and drive, though. This saves on flights but also in other ways. We can pack a large cooler. Thus, we take sandwiches into the parks and don’t have to buy much food at Disney. We can also comfortably bring our own stroller so we don’t have to rent one at Disney for our daughter.
7) If we stay on Disney property, we only do Value or campground. If I want a nice hotel, I’ll go offsite and pay half as much. We are all day park people. If I want a hotel vacation, I’m not taking one at Disney.
8) Memory Maker is nice, but we only did it on our first trip. It’s not necessary.

I’ve never paid more than $3,500 for a 7-day trip with 3 people (not including gas costs driving there and back). However, on our next trip we are looking to do DVC at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which for 7 nights will probably cost close to $2,000. A good deal but we’ll spend more than $3,500 that trip.
great advice

Amidala

After all that has happened in the past 2 years, it is the first time (never thought I would say this) that I have reached my tipping point. I used to get annual passes at WDW for my family of 8 and go a couple of times a year. Now I am going to be scaling back to once every 2-3 years, and no way will I stay on property with 8 people. There are just too many straws breaking the camels back.
1. The change to POTC
2. Smoking ban
3. criminal water prices in a sweltering humid swamp.
4. nickel and dime strategy getting ramped up beyond belief.
5. Shoehorning IP into everything
6. rampant political correctness
7. The curb-stomping of Luke, Han and of Star Wars in general.

Overall, the product is getting worse while the cost goes up. Nice job Disney.

At least half the things you've mentioned have made my time at the parks 1000 times more pleasant, the first and second especially though not sure what either has to do with pricing increases. Like others have said, free water is available to you at all times, and you can bring your own water into the park. The last point is just baffling to me.

Anyway, as someone who comes from a pretty broke family & only had the opportunity to visit WDW twice before working there, there are ways to cut costs if you're willing. WDW has extended many of the Disney resort perks (EMH primarily) to Good Neighbor hotels, which cost significantly less per night than the Value resorts, often with better accommodations. Most will offer free shuttle service to the Disney parks, Universal and other tourist-typical locations. Air B&B is also a fantastic, affordable option. Not every single meal has to be eaten in the parks, and there are plenty of 'snack' options within the Disney dining plan substantial enough to substitute for small meals. These are workarounds people on the lower end of the income spectrum have been using for decades & will continue to use...as the lower middle class begins to get priced out w/ the new increases, they'll have to either follow suit or stop going.

Obviously if you can afford it, that's a different story & more power to you.

Amidala

The off site EMH hotels are usually a lot more expensive than Value. Sometimes they are a lot more expensive.

Comfort Inn often runs under $100/night, sometimes as low as $60. You can book Holiday Inn right now for $58/night, and that's in August not long after DHS SWL opens. Especially if you book well in advance, there are definitely cheap options. But if you look at the list of Good Neighbors and immediately zero in on Embassy Suites, yeah, it's gonna cost you. There's generally something for everyone price-wise IMO.

draybook

Stay off-site in a rental HOUSE for less than the cost of a cramped value room. Imagine having three+ bedrooms, a private pool, a full kitchen, complete laundry right there and no noisy people outside your room at 1am. It's possible, my friend. All of this can be had for downwards of $70 a night. Of course, this depends on if you have a car at your disposal and if you're okay doing without EMH. For us, it completely works and is well worth it. It's enabled us to go from 1 trip per year to 3. That allows us to take full advantage of our APs.

drizgirl

Well I’m not sure where you stayed, but a Deluxe or Mod resort will certainly add up over 11 days! I’m going to go on a whim and say you stayed at least Mod for 11 days... I don’t think most people have the patience to stay at a Value that long.

Here’s how most families can afford it, including mine. We are basically a one-career family though my wife brings in side money:

1) Don’t stay 11 days. We stay for 7.
2) No park hoppers. They are a waste of money if you’re staying more than a few days. It’s too time consuming to jump between parks every day.
3) Don’t do the dining plan. Paying out of pocket is cheaper. Only do a couple table service meals per trip.
4) Don’t drink alcohol while at Disney. Ridiculously priced and in my opinion alcohol detracts from the magic. I certainly don’t expect people to share this view, of course.
5) Have a set souvenir budget and stick to it.
6) Drive, if possible. Not everyone can do this. We live 15 hours away and drive, though. This saves on flights but also in other ways. We can pack a large cooler. Thus, we take sandwiches into the parks and don’t have to buy much food at Disney. We can also comfortably bring our own stroller so we don’t have to rent one at Disney for our daughter.
7) If we stay on Disney property, we only do Value or campground. If I want a nice hotel, I’ll go offsite and pay half as much. We are all day park people. If I want a hotel vacation, I’m not taking one at Disney.
8) Memory Maker is nice, but we only did it on our first trip. It’s not necessary.

I’ve never paid more than $3,500 for a 7-day trip with 3 people (not including gas costs driving there and back). However, on our next trip we are looking to do DVC at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which for 7 nights will probably cost close to $2,000. A good deal but we’ll spend more than $3,500 that trip.
So you’re saying original poster should learn to accept less for more. Don’t get me wrong, those are great tips for economizing. But It probably won’t change the way the original poster feels. Do you feel like you got a good value or you don’t.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom