Just got back from a week at Universal and the service is awful!!

bayoutinkbelle

You've got a point. I don't believe most people would sleep like a baby dreaming of Twister, the Mummy, etc. :lookaroun :lol:

I would, but I'm twisted like that. :D

I don't begrudge anyone liking one park better than another; everyone has their own likes and dislikes. What I don't understand is those who have never been there (or Universal fans to Disney, for that matter) and who "know" they won't like it. How do you know unless you try?

coasterphil

I was just at IOA today, and while I can't complain about the level of service I will say that the park was woefully understaffed. I tried to get something to eat at 2:30 and the lines were huge everywhere I turned. When I finally gave up and picked a spot it took 20 minutes from the time I stepped in till I picked up my food.

It was actually very busy all around today and I was wondering if those free tickets that Universal sends to FL residents are expiring in the near future because I saw a ton of people redeeming them when I went to pick up my AP. It was the first time I'd been to IOA and actually felt like the place was busy.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've never been to Universal. Not because I don't want to go or that I hate it or people who like it... Simply because I happened to find WDW first. I've been visiting almost annually since 2001 and have yet to get my fill of the World and I find it suits my needs.

Will I someday expand my horizons to Universal, Sea World and/or any of the many other area attractions? Absolutely. It may not be soon though... :shrug:

Of course, DS is 12 now, he may start pushing for more soon enough. And ultimately, he is more the driving factor than I am. I'm just "the wallet"! :ROFLOL:

Mr Bill

I was just at IOA today, and while I can't complain about the level of service I will say that the park was woefully understaffed. I tried to get something to eat at 2:30 and the lines were huge everywhere I turned. When I finally gave up and picked a spot it took 20 minutes from the time I stepped in till I picked up my food.

It was actually very busy all around today and I was wondering if those free tickets that Universal sends to FL residents are expiring in the near future because I saw a ton of people redeeming them when I went to pick up my AP. It was the first time I'd been to IOA and actually felt like the place was busy.
They expire August 31st

EPCOT Explorer

A good example of the anti-Universal bias shown by some Disney fans. I just don't get it. How can you know you won't enjoy something if you've never experienced it? I hope you don't go through all other areas of your life with that attitude.

I don't.-If my family is going to spend some money on a trip I would rather go to Disney then risk not having fun at U or IOA...I don't even like huge roller coasters-the main attraction there,so why bother?Just my opinion.I don't see why every one has to be negative about that...:shrug:

I'm sorry, but I am one of those people that will probably never go to Universal. I might go when the Harry Potter park opens, but that's it.

And I don't think I will enjoy Universal. From what I understand there are alot of thrill rides, which I personally don't enjoy. Also, I think that it's a place where you could spend two days and be done. I know alot of people do Universal and Disney on the same vacation, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Besides Disney has a magic. It's what makes me want to go back and makes me want to come here to learn more about it.

It is my opinion, so you are intitled to disagree, but I don't think having this opinion makes me close-minded about everything. I think I am very open-minded, though I do have a problem with change, when it pertains to my own life, and I am working on that.

Sorry, I just had to say that. For too many years I've defending myself against people who don't understand why I like Disney so much. And I hold nothing against people who like Universal.

Thank you!I couldn't have said it better.:)

Mr Bill

Coasters at Universal:
Dueling Dragons Ice
Dueling Dragons Fire
Flying Unicorn
Incredible Hulk
Pteranodon Flyers
Revenge of the Mummy
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster

Coasters at WDW:
Space Mountain - Alpha
Space Mountain - Omega
Big Thunder Mountain
The Barnstormer
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Expedition Everest
Primevil Whirl

:lookaroun

bayoutinkbelle

I don't.-If my family is going to spend some money on a trip I would rather go to Disney then risk not having fun at U or IOA...I don't even like huge roller coasters-the main attraction there,so why bother?Just my opinion.I don't see why every one has to be negative about that...:shrug:

Yes, Universal does have some great roller coasters, but there's a heck of a lot more to experience there.

Sorry if you see keeping an open mind about new and untried experiences as a negative opinion. Life without risk just doesn't cut it, IMHO.

Have a magical day. :wave:

kcnole

I don't even like huge roller coasters-the main attraction there,so why bother?

Because they aren't the main attractions?

There are only two real roller coasters in the park. There's tons of other attractions. The only coaster I ever ride when I go is The mummy. I don't like many coasters either, but the mummy is great fun. However my favorite rides have no coaster aspect at all.

Jaws (absolutely amazing)
Men in Black
ET
Shrek
Terminator
The Horror Makeup show
etc...

bobjl527

Because they aren't the main attractions?

There are only two real roller coasters in the park. There's tons of other attractions. The only coaster I ever ride when I go is The mummy. I don't like many coasters either, but the mummy is great fun. However my favorite rides have no coaster aspect at all.

Jaws (absolutely amazing)
Men in Black
ET
Shrek
Terminator
The Horror Makeup show
etc...

I agree 100%. I absolutely hate roller coasters, but I love Universal. The only ones I wont ride are Dueling Dragons and The Hulk. The Mummy is a coaster with dark ride elements which I found enjoyable (the big thing I dislike about coasters is the first climb, not an issue with the Mummy). Everything else is fantastic. Please dont say Universals main attractions are roller coasters. This is just not true.

matysgranma

Two completely different parks. I am a huge fan of both parks.....I like to keep an open mind. It still amazes me when I hear people talk about the "other park" or "going to the dark side". Geez, both parks are great in their own right. Rarely do I go to Orlando without visiting both parks. And, no, I'm not a roller coaster buff, but I find so much to do at both WDW and UniversalStudios.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im sure Universal knockers are just wimps who poo themselves at the thought of riding coasters.

2008 will be our 6th stay at the Hard Rock, better than any Disney resort.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I actually just returned from a business trip to both WDW and Universal. This was my first trip over to Universal and IOA and the first time staying in the Portofino Bay resort. I will honestly tell you that my family did enjoy the parks. We actually did Universal in about 3 hours. We really liked the rides there. The only thing that bothered me was when they have you in the room with the fire on The Mummy. I kept thinking what do they do if the ride breaks down and people are in here with the fire...just freaked me out a little. But that's just me.

We also liked IOA. The only thing that was not good was the fact that a storm blew in and they shut down a lot of the rides which is totally understandable. But overall we did like them both.

As far as the hotel goes....there is absolutely no comparison between that resort which is supposed to be a deluxe resort and the ones at Disney. No way, no how. I have stayed in a lot of deluxe resorts including all of Disney's with the exception of the Poly since the rehab and I can tell you that that hotel is sorely lacking.

I am actually waiting to hear from a Loew's manager to call me at this time.

Pam

dharmagalactica

I actually had a pretty positive experience when I stayed at Universal. I was in the Hard Rock Hotel and I really enjoyed it. Plus the convenience of Universal Express was great. We almost always stay on Disney property, so a change of pace was nice.

And speaking as a wimp, I still enjoy Universal for the theming and the fact that all the other rides are a lot of fun. It may not have the atmosphere and magic of Disney, but Spiderman is pretty amazing.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I actually had a pretty positive experience when I stayed at Universal. I was in the Hard Rock Hotel and I really enjoyed it. Plus the convenience of Universal Express was great. We almost always stay on Disney property, so a change of pace was nice.

And speaking as a wimp, I still enjoy Universal for the theming and the fact that all the other rides are a lot of fun. It may not have the atmosphere and magic of Disney, but Spiderman is pretty amazing.

Hard Rock is owned by the Seminole Indians and is actually the only one that I would go and try if I go back there and the other 2 are owned by Loews. We did like the fact that we had the Express passes, but the wait times on all the rides were about 5-15 mins. with the exception of the pteradactyl (sp?) ride in IOA which was 60 mins and didn't have an express line so we didn't do it.

I think that the express pass is a good feature, but I have a laundry list of things that were wrong with the service at the hotel itself.

Pam

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Hard Rock is owned by the Seminole Indians and is actually the only one that I would go and try if I go back there and the other 2 are owned by Loews. We did like the fact that we had the Express passes, but the wait times on all the rides were about 5-15 mins. with the exception of the pteradactyl (sp?) ride in IOA which was 60 mins and didn't have an express line so we didn't do it.

I think that the express pass is a good feature, but I have a laundry list of things that were wrong with the service at the hotel itself.

Pam

Hard Rock offers Loews loyalty scheme, which is handy to reduce prices and get upgrades. Mrs Sak is not a fan but the girls and I love it.

Sorry to hear they didnt do your laundry.

MagliteL13

The only thing that bothered me was when they have you in the room with the fire on The Mummy. I kept thinking what do they do if the ride breaks down and people are in here with the fire...just freaked me out a little. But that's just me.

Just to ease you a little bit-- If the ride breaks down while you're in that room, the very first thing that happens is that the gas for the fire gets cut (hence: No more fire). That room with the fire makes it 114deg at the riders heads, so we as attendants realize what it's like in there. Also, if we have to take ya off of the railcar in that scene, that's actually one of the first scenes we go to (because of the heat).

Jeremy
Revenge of the Mummy Production Assistant
Hollywood Tower Hotel Bellhop

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Just to ease you a little bit-- If the ride breaks down while you're in that room, the very first thing that happens is that the gas for the fire gets cut (hence: No more fire). That room with the fire makes it 114deg at the riders heads, so we as attendants realize what it's like in there. Also, if we have to take ya off of the railcar in that scene, that's actually one of the first scenes we go to (because of the heat).

Jeremy
Revenge of the Mummy Production Assistant
Hollywood Tower Hotel Bellhop

That's good to know. It just freaked me out a bit being the first time I rode it. My girls (15,20) both loved it and rode it again minus Mom.

Pam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom