Just got back from a week at Universal and the service is awful!!

jrobinson424

Original Poster
WDW will always beat out Universal if not for anything else but service. We just got back from a week vacation there. I can't believe just how rude the "employes" are. Most walked around like they hated their jobs and didn't care one bit about you or your family's needs. We went to I.O.A. Saturday and the entire park lost power. It was a mad house for a while. My 4 year old son had been feeling a little bit sick that day. We had our own water in my backpack but it was hot. I went to buy a new cold drink for him to drink and they would not let me due to the outage. I said no problem since I had my own water. I then ask for a cup of ice since I couldn't buy water and the hootchie said that was against park rules and that I would either have to wait for power and computers to come back up or leave the park. You could see how sick my kid was and wouldn't help me. They can't even give away ice. Another instance happened in the parking garage. We arrived @ 2:00 yesterday, pulled into the garage, was lining up like everyone else. It seemed like we were going to wind up in the 4th to last spot from the escalotors. Pretty good spots. But no. The chick sends us all the way down the end of the next row. When we got up there, there were 2 cars in the 4 spots and the girl was hugging all over the people in the cars. She had saved them for her friends. Jerk. One more instance was with Rip Saw Falls. We wanted to ride but it was broken. We asked the employee when they thought it may be ready because they were running empty plumes. We thought maybe soon. He said we have no idea which seems to be the only answer those folks over there know. I went on to say to him that the only thing Universal knows how to do is take your money. He said we do do that well. So if you are a Disney Cast Member I thank you for the best service ever. I probaly won't be going back to Universal again. THANK GOD FOR WDW.

EpcotServo

I went to buy a new cold drink for him to drink and they would not let me due to the outage. I said no problem since I had my own water. I then ask for a cup of ice since I couldn't buy water and the hootchie said that was against park rules and that I would either have to wait for power and computers to come back up or leave the park. You could see how sick my kid was and wouldn't help me. They can't even give away ice.
Strange, they've never given me any problems with getting ice or water.
One more instance was with Rip Saw Falls. We wanted to ride but it was broken. We asked the employee when they thought it may be ready because they were running empty plumes. We thought maybe soon. He said we have no idea which seems to be the only answer those folks over there know.
Actully, that's what they actully have to say when a ride's broken. Same at Disney too. The most you can say is "Check back later" or "check back in a few hours". They have to because you can't give people a time because if it isn't open at that time they say "So-and-so told me it would be open!".

Tinkerbella16

That is part of the reason as to why I won't go to Universal or IOA. I was there when I was very young, and haven't been there since. Just because they have more thrill rides, doesn't mean your vacation is going to be a whole lot better than being at WDW. They don't capture that feeling of being away from the "real world." Disney goes outta their way to meet the guests needs. The attractions are for all ages, and are very well-themed. I don't think Universal can even come close to anything that a disney vacation brings to us all. I'm sorry that all happened to you during your stay.

MagliteL13

Oh joy! Here we go again...

As a Cast Member (at WDW) and Team Member (at USF), both places have their frosted sprinkled donuts and their stale crusty ones. I take pride in the work I do, as do most of the people I work with. I am sorry you had a terrible time.

Shall I start about the time the entire Magic Kingdom lost power last year to the point that only three attractions were operating? (Tommorrowland Indy Speedway, Liberty Belle, and Mainstreet Vehicles...just for the record). How about the time I was yelled at by a parking attendant at MK for parking in the wrong spot while he was talking to a tram op? I could go on and on. I've had experiences with sour apples at USF as well. They're about equal.

And working in attractions both places, the standard downtime spiel is something along the lines of "We're experiencing technical difficulties. We don't know when or if we'll reopen. Please check out other attractions and check back later." Even if I know exactly whats wrong, the guests don't need to know. I don't even need to know. We all want to though.

I think this will be my first and last post in this thread I will do.

Now have at it to point out how wrong I am and how Universal should have better service to the point Disney does...

And yes, I realize this is a Disney message board.
And no, I don't like Universal better. I view them both equally.

iKat

. One more instance was with Rip Saw Falls. We wanted to ride but it was broken. We asked the employee when they thought it may be ready because they were running empty plumes. We thought maybe soon.

I was a Team Member at IOA for a few months... Rip Saw was constantly down - apparently people jump off the flume, causing an e-stop. When I was there, it was so common that they had the evacuation down to a science. Even with how fast they were, you still have to wait for a tech to ride through before guests can ride.

Also, you're just not allowed to say what's wrong with it, it's always "technical difficulties."

CAPTAIN HOOK

Universal who ???

Sorry to hear about your terrible trip - but if you will go to the "competition" what do you expect. These places only attempt to copy Disney - they will never match it

jorgetheviking

Universal who ???

Sorry to hear about your terrible trip - but if you will go to the "competition" what do you expect. These places only attempt to copy Disney - they will never match it
I strongly dis agree with that. Universal does not copy WDW. They are both great places with their ups and downs.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Universal dont judge them on that theres been times where I've got the best service from Universal.

Disneybub

Im sorry to hear about your trip, Ive been going to unviersal for years (the same as disney) and ive never had any problems like this, although i will say rip saw falls was closed the 3 times i went there in 2004!!
But all rides have theier problems i suppose.:)

EPCOT Explorer

I've never been to U and IOA and I never plan to,if my familly is gonna spend some serious $$$ on a vacation in Florida,I want to go somewhere where I KNOW I'll have fun.

Sorry to here about your trip.:(

Michael72688

I've never been to U and IOA and I never plan to,if my familly is gonna spend some serious $$$ on a vacation in Florida,I want to go somewhere where I KNOW I'll have fun.

Now that is a really ignorant statement, way to keep an open mind. By the way Universal offers some of the best deals in Orlando that dont require families to spend a whole lot of $$$.

cmatt

Now that is a really ignorant statement, way to keep an open mind. By the way Universal offers some of the best deals in Orlando that dont require families to spend a whole lot of $$$.

or £££ :ROFLOL:

and no, universal do not copy wdw at all. They have their own spin on things...

bayoutinkbelle

A good example of the anti-Universal bias shown by some Disney fans. I just don't get it. How can you know you won't enjoy something if you've never experienced it? I hope you don't go through all other areas of your life with that attitude.

I've had issues with Universal before - dirty parks on one visit, car vandalized in lot ($1,500 repair bill) and some rude employees. I'm sorry for the OP's problems, but seems to me there's not a lot to be done when power goes out to an entire park. And there's always a first-aid station that can be visited in emergencies. Maybe I misunderstood the OP's statement, but it sounds like they went into the park during the hottest and most humid part of the year with a sick child. How can you possibly enjoy yourselves in a situation like that?

Karolena

A good example of the anti-Universal bias shown by some Disney fans. I just don't get it. How can you know you won't enjoy something if you've never experienced it? I hope you don't go through all other areas of your life with that attitude.

I'm sorry, but I am one of those people that will probably never go to Universal. I might go when the Harry Potter park opens, but that's it.

And I don't think I will enjoy Universal. From what I understand there are alot of thrill rides, which I personally don't enjoy. Also, I think that it's a place where you could spend two days and be done. I know alot of people do Universal and Disney on the same vacation, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Besides Disney has a magic. It's what makes me want to go back and makes me want to come here to learn more about it.

It is my opinion, so you are intitled to disagree, but I don't think having this opinion makes me close-minded about everything. I think I am very open-minded, though I do have a problem with change, when it pertains to my own life, and I am working on that.

Sorry, I just had to say that. For too many years I've defending myself against people who don't understand why I like Disney so much. And I hold nothing against people who like Universal.

crazydaveh

Remember, if it wasn't for competition, things would get boring and stay the same. Having both Universal and Disney miles apart helps push the two companies to be better!

Sorry you didn't like your visit, but all I can say is try again. So you had to walk a bit further in the parking garage and an employee didn't tell you exactly what you wanted to hear, but sometimes you have to roll with the punches and make the best of it!

It's rare that the power goes out, but as you know, when it does at your house, you're limited in what you can do as well! I'm not speaking of taking care of a sick child, that should have been taken care of by the employee in a better way.

I was at SeaWorld a few weeks ago. They have a ton of foreign summer employees from Asia (I think) and hardly any that I encountered spoke English well enough to get information out of them. What did I do, nothing. I'll go back when it gets cooler and the summer tourists are gone and have fun again! Roll with the punches I say!

dandaman

For too many years I've defended myself against people who don't understand why I like Disney so much.

What makes you think that no one else on here does, too? ;)

Not directed at you, Karolena: You're gonna have the good and the bad in both worlds, pure and simple. Like Dave and many others have said, best make the most of it. :wave:

(For the record, I had an absolute blast at Universal last March, and three days max really is all that it takes for a full experience. :shrug: )

kcnole

These threads always make me laugh. I've visited Universal 5 times in the past year and Disney three times. I've seen the same service at both locations. There are great employees and bad ones at both parks, there are annoying selling stations at both parks, and their are great and not so great attractions at both locations. I love visiting both parks. I always get a kick out of those who decide how much they hate Universal without ever once visiting the place.

dandaman

I've visited Universal 5 times in the past year and Disney three times. I love visiting both parks.

Hence why I love your blog. It's nice to see things unbiased. Even on a theme park site discussing both worlds equally (not here, obviously), there's still always infighting and bickering about the issue.

...Which always leads me to wonder what real issue there is. :shrug:

(If we bulk up I-Drive with even more tourist trap stuff, it'll all be one amalgamated area someday anyway. Only then will the bickering stop. :lookaroun)

Karolena

What makes you think that no one else on here does, too? ;)

Not directed at you, Karolena: You're gonna have the good and the bad in both worlds, pure and simple. Like Dave and many others have said, best make the most of it. :wave:

(For the record, I had an absolute blast at Universal last March, and three days max really is all that it takes for a full experience. :shrug: )

I know it's not just me and I wasn't trying to say that it was. And it's not like I lose sleep over it or something.

I sleep like a baby while dreaming of Disney World. :snore:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom