Just Engaged: An August 2010 Trip Report!

As the title suggests, this was an especially exciting trip for us and I can’t wait to share all of the fun details. Seeing as how I am lucky enough to write one of these every few months or so, I’m going to forego the normal introductions. Instead, why don’t I share five non-Disney things you might not already know about the two of us? Let’s see... non-Disney stuff?! This might be hard!

1 – We love live music! Seriously, aside from Disney, this is what we spend money on. Some of our favorite artists we’ve seen live include David Gray, Ben Folds, Brandi Carlile, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, KT Tunstall, She & Him, Jack Johnson, A Fine Frenzy, Counting Crows, Nickel Creek, and Jimmy Buffett to name a few.

2 – We name inanimate objects and refer to them as such... this is especially true for electronics, and oddly enough they really do take on personalities. No,seriously! For example, our laptops are Petunia (mine) and Frances (his); our Garmin’s are Neville and Navi; and my camera is more affectionately known as Ginger. Weird? Maybe just a little bit. :ROFLOL:

3 – As much as I hate to admit it, we are complete and utter TV junkies. We LOVE our TV. And if I had to pick the one show we are jointly most excited to see this fall season it would have to be Dexter. Bring on the creepy.

4 – We are totally one of those couples who met at a bar. It just so happened that we both worked there while in college. Ahhh... everyone loves a good cliché, right?! :lookaroun

5 – We have a standing tradition of buying one another a book to celebrate each holiday. And when I say holiday, I mean every holiday you can think of from St. Patrick’s Day to Christmas. Usually the only time we stray outside the lines is on birthdays. We’ve built quite an impressive collection so far ranging from popular fiction to non-fiction, children’s books to biographies and we throw in some Disney “coffee table” books and “Art of’s” for good measure every now and then. Amazon is our friend! As are the myriad of used book stores we come across in the different places we visit. We already have enough to fill our own library when we buy a house!

Of course, no introduction is complete without the requisite photo, but for the heck of it, let’s go “old school.” Here we are with the elusive Rescue Rangers in 2004:

Nov04040.jpg

We started planning this trip sometime after the Princess Half Marathon and eventually booked when the AP rates came out earlier in the summer. To be more precise, while I was in the midst of a quick weekend trip with my mom, Brett called and made the resort reservations, solidifying our stay at Caribbean Beach from August 13-August 17. And then, as per usual, we decided we would drive down after work on Thursday, so we booked a hotel through priceline for the night of the 12th.

Just the other day I realized that we haven’t repeated a resort since I began writing trip reports... so here’s a look back:
The Contemporary – September 2008
Old Key West – December 2008
Port Orleans Riverside – January 2009
Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Lodge – July 2009
The Beach Club – December 2009
Pop Century – March 2010
Coronado Springs – June 2010

We were both incredibly excited for this trip because we felt like it was our first truly “us” trip in a long while that spanned a decent amount of time and didn’t include some kind of endurance event to focus on. :eek: Okay, so I’m not gonna lie... I went into this trip “hoping” there’d be a little something special, but not really expecting it. There was one small detail that tipped me off ahead of time. I ALWAYS maintain the reservations and type up a minimal list of our dining plans/confirmation #s and before I could do it for this trip, Brett told me he typed it up at work one day when he had some free time. Hmmmm... interesting. I started wondering if he’d made some changes to the dining. And then I started thinking, why would he have any reason to mess with our dining?! I tried to dismiss this thought though, mostly because I didn’t want to be disappointed if it turned out he wasn’t planning on proposing. Thankfully, he did! So let’s get to it…

cbettua

Love all the pics! What point and shoot camera do you have? I am a photographer and I normally use my canon DSLR but noone wants to lug that around a park. I always end up with crummy point and shoots.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Those Electrical Water Pageant photos look great with the Contemporary as a backdrop. I particularly like the one of the dragon.

The photo of the monorail in the empty station is cool, too!

Still totally enjoying your report, especially the story of your wedding planning dinner!

WDWFigment

Big Congratulations! I was wondering when this might happening, and assuming, of course, that it'd happen "during" a trip report! I've only read the shortly after the engagement post thus far, but already sounds great--and some stellar pictures too! Time to leave work though :lookaroun so I'll finish it later!

DisGal

Have you stayed at the Beach Club yet, Alissa? While it's not the Polynesian, it is still a fabulous resort. The convenience of walking right into World Showcase is perfect. And you'll get the best of both worlds because then you'll be headed over to the monorail loop. :sohappy: Have fun.

Thanks! This will be my 5th time staying at the BC - its in my top 3 of fav hotels. I really enjoy the atmosphere and the location can't be beat.

diddy_mouse

*goes to add Citricos to list of must-try restaurants* :slurp:

DH and I happened upon the Electrical Water Pagent while crossing Seven Seas Lagoon one night and I'm glad we were able to catch a glimpse. I can only imagine how awesome it is from the Poly beach.

P.S. You two are definitely a couple I'd love to meet up with in the parks! You have a similar touring style to me and my husband. And it's always nice to savor the little moments when you can...probably what we'll end up doing on our anniversary trip next month. :D

DisGal

Citricos has now earned a spot on our Disney Foodie Best of the Best list. I know we’re only ranking meals on a scale of one to four NOMS, but I gotta say, Citricos gets a bonus NOM for being an all-around perfect meal from taste to ambiance to conversation. Very rarely do we have meals that we continue to talk about as time goes on, and I feel that this will definitely be one of them.

DH and I love Citricos - its definitely an under appreciated restaurant at WDW. The veal shank is my DH's favorite - can't wait to eat there next Wednesday. Thanks for the review.

disneygirl1

All caught up!!! Congratulations again Holly!!! The ring is beautiful!!! Brett, you did a great job!!!

I was looking for us is some of your MK pics... Can't believe we didn't run into each other at some point!

SaskDisneyGirl

Congrats!! What a great trip report! Good luck with planning a Disney wedding, that will be so much fun!! Brett did great on pickng out your ring too, its stunning

WDWFigment

Alright, caught up until this point and not at work, so I don't constantly have to switch screens as someone walks past.

I have to admit I chuckled a bit at the proposal post. After being in that same situation, I totally know how he probably felt, and how relieving it was as soon as it was over! I did it on the first day of our trip, too, but I was incredibly nervous leading up to it (and even during it). The next day, I probably couldn't have even told you what I had for dinner at Narccoosee's, and that is very unprecedent for me. Sarah claims to have anticipated it, as well, (I don't buy that!) and I'm sure she would have been similarly anxious had I not done it the first day. Very very smart move on Brett's part to do it as soon as you guys entered the Poly! Great place to get engaged! :)

Your meal at Kona looks delicious. We're heading back there in December and since we're not on the DDP and don't feel the need to "maximize" our value, we might try some other things. We have reservations for breakfast there and dinner (different days) and I'm thinking at this point that we might have to do both!

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of rooms inside the Poly (perhaps that was a good thing), and those didn't help surpress my desire to stay there very well. What a resort. My favorite resort (close with BoardWalk...although we've stayed at BW so it has that advantage) and we haven't even stayed there. Stinks about the view--I definitely would not consider that a water view either!

Regarding an external flash, I find them to be lifesavers. When you do get one, make sure it's a Canon (I think that's a Canon you're using), not an off-brand, and make sure it has a pivoting head. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling indoors diffuses the light and makes for evenly lit pictures.

Reading this has me in the mood to finally start our DLR report! Well, that and it's raining and my other choice is to help clean, so I think the decision is fairly easy!

meganw1985

Holly! Congratulations! What a wonderful proposal story! My fiance proposed to me literally a week before I left for Disney (he had to stay home and work, booooo). I still got a just engaged button and it was so fun!!! The CMs really go above and beyond with their magical jobs!

So exciting about a Disney wedding! My fiance quickly nixed that idea, along with a Disneymoon, but he has never been :eek:, so he doesn't understand. We have a trip planned there for next December with both sets of parents, so all is well I suppose. I will just have to settle for a beach wedding and honeymoon cruise. Darn it! :ROFLOL:

I have always for my whole life wanted to stay at the Poly! It is my FAVORITE resort I have visited, along with the Contemporary. Maybe someday!

Brett

Holly left out the most important detail about these pictures... they were taken from inside the lush confines of the TRONorail! I blame the lack of quality on the fact that the TRONorail obviously travels at speeds beyond comprehension therefore I couldn't get good shots. :lookaroun

Also thanks for the congrats everyone! Woo!

meeskamickey

I'm loving your trip report (as always)! As I was reading it my 4 year old came over to see what I was doing and got totally into the pictures and sat with me while we finished what you posted thus far. It's getting her and I excited about our (way too far away) family trip in May. Congratulations on your engagement...such a fun time in your life! Enjoy it! Great report so far!!!

margot2791

Congratulations Holly! I am a fan of your trip reports and this one is no different! The poly looks amazing, maybe ill be able to stay there sometime after I get my CM discount in Jan! A Disney Wedding, how exciting!? Cannot wait to read the "pre trip" report for that one!

eagles

i haven't read the entire report yet, but just had to come and say

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so very thrilled for you two. :sohappy:

disneyrcks

Hollybelle, your trip report is awesome and the engagement story brought tears to my eyes! Your Disney wedding will be amazing....enjoy this special time in your lives! We were engaged at Disney in August 2009 and honeymooned there this August at the Poly, Kidani and BCV! Your ring is beautiful and best wishes to you both!! :wave:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
That's great!

A friend of mine got married at Disney in, I believe, 2001 (I am not sure of the specific location within Disney though) and she said that the wedding people there really helped a lot with everything...if your planning experience is anything like hers was it sounds like you'll have a small army behind you! (Of course that was 9 years ago so who knows what has changed since then.)

Yes, we do get a planner to help with all the details. But I don't think it'll be too stressful for us either way because we're only inviting 10 people... immediate family and that's it.

Wait 'til you have kids! :lol:

Great TR!! More more!

Point very well taken! :ROFLOL:

Love all the pics! What point and shoot camera do you have? I am a photographer and I normally use my canon DSLR but noone wants to lug that around a park. I always end up with crummy point and shoots.

Thank you! All of these pictures (except the ones at the pool) were taken with a Canon Rebel DSLR. The pool pictures were taken with an underwater Olympus Stylus.

GASP! Just stunning.

Aww, thanks!! I really like that one.

Those Electrical Water Pageant photos look great with the Contemporary as a backdrop. I particularly like the one of the dragon.

The photo of the monorail in the empty station is cool, too!

Still totally enjoying your report, especially the story of your wedding planning dinner!

Yeah, I was excited that the dragon/contemporary picture turned out, especially seeing as how the other 20 or so water pageant pictures DID NOT!

Mmm... wedding planning dinner. We need to do that more often.

Thanks! This will be my 5th time staying at the BC - its in my top 3 of fav hotels. I really enjoy the atmosphere and the location can't be beat.

You are so totally at the Beach Club as I type this! I hope you are having a blast and I look forward to hearing how the Grand Floridian treats you.

DH and I love Citricos - its definitely an under appreciated restaurant at WDW. The veal shank is my DH's favorite - can't wait to eat there next Wednesday. Thanks for the review.

I'd have to agree with you regarding Citricos being under appreciated, because before this trip I wasn't too high on it. But that definitely changed!!

*goes to add Citricos to list of must-try restaurants*

DH and I happened upon the Electrical Water Pagent while crossing Seven Seas Lagoon one night and I'm glad we were able to catch a glimpse. I can only imagine how awesome it is from the Poly beach.

P.S. You two are definitely a couple I'd love to meet up with in the parks! You have a similar touring style to me and my husband. And it's always nice to savor the little moments when you can...probably what we'll end up doing on our anniversary trip next month. :D

The Electrical Water Pageant really is such a fun little Disney touch... and completely unassuming. I'm totally with you on savoring the little moments, as they're really what it's all about. Enjoy your anniversary trip!

All caught up!!! Congratulations again Holly!!! The ring is beautiful!!! Brett, you did a great job!!!

I was looking for us is some of your MK pics... Can't believe we didn't run into each other at some point!

I know, it would've been so fun to cross paths. Thanks for the well wishes and compliments on my ring. He did good!

Congrats!! What a great trip report! Good luck with planning a Disney wedding, that will be so much fun!! Brett did great on pickng out your ring too, its stunning

Thanks, SaskDisneyGirl! I feel so lucky to be able to plan such a fun, yet intimate wedding at our favorite place.

Big Congratulations! I was wondering when this might happening, and assuming, of course, that it'd happen "during" a trip report! I've only read the shortly after the engagement post thus far, but already sounds great--and some stellar pictures too! Time to leave work though so I'll finish it later!

Alright, caught up until this point and not at work, so I don't constantly have to switch screens as someone walks past.

I have to admit I chuckled a bit at the proposal post. After being in that same situation, I totally know how he probably felt, and how relieving it was as soon as it was over! I did it on the first day of our trip, too, but I was incredibly nervous leading up to it (and even during it). The next day, I probably couldn't have even told you what I had for dinner at Narccoosee's, and that is very unprecedent for me. Sarah claims to have anticipated it, as well, (I don't buy that!) and I'm sure she would have been similarly anxious had I not done it the first day. Very very smart move on Brett's part to do it as soon as you guys entered the Poly! Great place to get engaged!

Your meal at Kona looks delicious. We're heading back there in December and since we're not on the DDP and don't feel the need to "maximize" our value, we might try some other things. We have reservations for breakfast there and dinner (different days) and I'm thinking at this point that we might have to do both!

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of rooms inside the Poly (perhaps that was a good thing), and those didn't help surpress my desire to stay there very well. What a resort. My favorite resort (close with BoardWalk...although we've stayed at BW so it has that advantage) and we haven't even stayed there. Stinks about the view--I definitely would not consider that a water view either!

Regarding an external flash, I find them to be lifesavers. When you do get one, make sure it's a Canon (I think that's a Canon you're using), not an off-brand, and make sure it has a pivoting head. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling indoors diffuses the light and makes for evenly lit pictures.

Reading this has me in the mood to finally start our DLR report! Well, that and it's raining and my other choice is to help clean, so I think the decision is fairly easy!

Ahh, don't you just hate it when work interrupts life! Luckily, no one can walk past my computer screen when I'm at work (although, I'm sure that isn't such a good thing when it comes to productivity!). Thanks for the kind words. I, too, was certainly wondering when this might happen. :lol:

With regards to Sarah anticipating the engagement, if I recall correctly from your report, you surprised her with dinner (and a dress to wear to said dinner?)... that, my friend, had to be the giveaway.

I realize you are DVC now, so this is probably counterproductive; however, with your APs you can get a decent rate at the Poly (relatively speaking). No, it's not somewhere we could afford to stay for every trip; nor is it somewhere we're willing to fork over the money for on a regular basis, but on a short trip with the right rate (and something special to celebrate)... it might be worth it to look into for a future anniversary trip.

Thanks for the advice regarding a flash, I was already leaning towards all the things you mentioned, but hearing that from you definitely confirms that it's the way I need to go. Now I've just got to work it into our budget before our December trip.

I'm really looking forward to your Disneyland report! And I know I'm not the only one still waiting for that wedding report!

Holly! Congratulations! What a wonderful proposal story! My fiance proposed to me literally a week before I left for Disney (he had to stay home and work, booooo). I still got a just engaged button and it was so fun!!! The CMs really go above and beyond with their magical jobs!

So exciting about a Disney wedding! My fiance quickly nixed that idea, along with a Disneymoon, but he has never been, so he doesn't understand. We have a trip planned there for next December with both sets of parents, so all is well I suppose. I will just have to settle for a beach wedding and honeymoon cruise. Darn it!

I have always for my whole life wanted to stay at the Poly! It is my FAVORITE resort I have visited, along with the Contemporary. Maybe someday!

A beach wedding and honeymoon cruise sound just about perfect too me! Maybe you should find a cruise out of Tampa or Port Canaveral, that way you can hop over to Disney for a night or two!! Just a thought. ;)

I'm glad you'll have a chance to introduce the fiance to Disney next year, but with both sets of parents?! :eek: That sounds like it may be kinda stressful!

Holly left out the most important detail about these pictures... they were taken from inside the lush confines of the TRONorail! I blame the lack of quality on the fact that the TRONorail obviously travels at speeds beyond comprehension therefore I couldn't get good shots. :lookaroun

Also thanks for the congrats everyone! Woo!

This is true... we were moving at the speed of light. And yet for some reason, I still totally dislike the tronorail. :lol:

I'm loving your trip report (as always)! As I was reading it my 4 year old came over to see what I was doing and got totally into the pictures and sat with me while we finished what you posted thus far. It's getting her and I excited about our (way too far away) family trip in May. Congratulations on your engagement...such a fun time in your life! Enjoy it! Great report so far!!!

May will totally be here before you know it. And it really is such a great time to go, before the crowds (and heat) become unmanageable. Thanks for reading along and I'm glad your daughter is enjoying the pictures as well!!

Congratulations Holly! I am a fan of your trip reports and this one is no different! The poly looks amazing, maybe ill be able to stay there sometime after I get my CM discount in Jan! A Disney Wedding, how exciting!? Cannot wait to read the "pre trip" report for that one!

Oooh, you'll be a CM come January? That sounds like so much fun to me.

I'm thinking about starting a pre-wedding report thread over on the weddings/honeymoon board. I think it might be fun for me to look back at later.

i haven't read the entire report yet, but just had to come and say

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so very thrilled for you two. :sohappy:

Thanks so much, Louella!

Congrats.

Thank you!

Congrats!!!!! You guys make such a beautiful couple I'm so happy for you. Amazing trip report, just loving the pictures!

Aww, thanks, Jasmine89!

Hollybelle, your trip report is awesome and the engagement story brought tears to my eyes! Your Disney wedding will be amazing....enjoy this special time in your lives! We were engaged at Disney in August 2009 and honeymooned there this August at the Poly, Kidani and BCV! Your ring is beautiful and best wishes to you both!! :wave:

Thanks. I'm going to try to soak up every moment! Congratulations on your very recent wedding!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom