Just Curious

scheat

Original Poster
Hi everyone,
We just recently got back from a trip and I noticed a building in MK that I hadn't noticed before. It's located in Fantasyland on the right just before you enter the Liberty Square area near HM. It's right above and behind the stroller parking and sort of looks like a house. Just curious to know what the building is used for? Thanks.

Captain Hank

Yup, that's the old Skyway building. It has a (also empty) counter-part in Tomorrowland between Space Mountain and the Carousel of Progress.

Rob562

This building?

444460113_36c5c33285.jpg

As the other poster said, it's the former Fantasyland end of the Skyway, which was removed around 1998/1999.
This building contained the drive motor for the cable, the Tomorrowland end's building provided tension and passenger bucket storage/maintenance.

-Rob

raven

Nothing has been done to this building or hill as it serves as a barrier to hide the HM show building.

wdwCC

Anyone know why they got rid of the skyride? One of the memories I have was of riding that thing the first time I went to WDW in 1994.

JenJas87

Anyone know why they got rid of the skyride? One of the memories I have was of riding that thing the first time I went to WDW in 1994.

I agree. I miss the skyway too because i remember it from my first visit. The problem with it was it was expensive to maintain and became dangerous with guests dropping things out of the cars and just doing stupid things in general. too bad :( it was a fun attraction

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Back in the day....

Attachments

• 007 - Skyway bucket in Fantasylandw.jpg
    007 - Skyway bucket in Fantasylandw.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 008 - Fantasyland Skyway stationw.jpg
    008 - Fantasyland Skyway stationw.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 46

Figment632

I hate that this space is just being wasted is there room here for a small attraction? If so I would love to see a Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I hate that this space is just being wasted is there room here for a small attraction?
Nope, but it would have been the Fairy meet n greet had Glendale had their way. TDO strikes again.

Figment632

I never understood why the SW connected FL an TL they are right next to each other. I always thought it should have taken you to Frontier or AL.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Several reasons. Among those would be ADA issues, the ability to see rather unmagical back stage areas as well as people ejecting any variety of objects and bodily fluids from the buckets onto the guests below.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I never understood why the SW connected FL an TL they are right next to each other. I always thought it should have taken you to Frontier or AL.
Yes - but the stations wern`t. Plus, imagine a bright red gondola with flashing lights over the JC?!

disneytopdog

Nothing has been done to this building or hill as it serves as a barrier to hide the HM show building.

It still just blows my mind how Disney does it. That skyway building seems such a far distance from the HM, but yet the building that contains the ride ride is located there. I have seen the google satellite shots of the HM building sitting right next to the IASW building. Its just planning like that and efficient land use that is so amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom