Just Booked Wilderness Lodge, Any tips?

Tinkerbell397

Beautiful resort and wonderful choice for a place to stay. Enjoy the boat ride from The WL to the MK. It is very relaxing and especially nice in the evening. Take the boat to the CR and then the monorail to the Poly for breakfast at the Kona Cafe or to the GF for breakfast at The Grand Floridian Cafe....very nice. If you have plans for a very nice dinner, Artist Point in the WL is a good choice....food is delicious. The Roaring Forks for QS breakfast can be crowed and slow if you plan to be there between 7 and 9. But eating outside in nice. I am not a fan of Whispering Canyons....maybe it's just me but it seems like a Cracker Barrel with more noise. Try it once though...it can be an experience. Te bus stop for DHS, Epcot etc is very convenient and the busses come very regularly....never had to wait more than 10 minutes.
Walk the trails...the grounds are lovely. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

DisneyPrincess5

Absolutely take advantage of the boat to MK, trails, eat at Artist Point, Roaring Forks is great, and just relax and enjoy! Highly recommend a courtyard view room. We just stayed there for the first time on our honeymoon Sept/October and loved it. Have fun!

Kuzcotopia

The boats to Magic Kingdom are great,and you should do them at least once. Funny enough, the buses to Magic Kingdom are faster, and never crowded. So if you're ever in a hurry, or there's a line for the boats (which can be long at times), you can just take the bus and get there in five minutes.

Also, if you take a boat and do the wilderness campground/contemporary loop starting around 8:45, you can see the fireworks on the water. At that time of evening, the boat should be empty. Peaceful and quite lovely, if you're into that.

Agreed with previous poster about Whispering Canyon, and the food's not that great either. But if you have kids, it can be really fun for them. They play games during dinner, and the servers do some fun things. It's also not a bad place to eat at the last minute, without an ADR. You can usually get in (and what a lobby to relax and wait!).

luis71091

WL is probably, along with AKL, the most detailed resort on property. My first and most important tip is, if you can carve out the time, spend a lot of it appreciating the resort, Especially the lobby area. It's spectacular. Also, I would recommend renting bikes next to the pool and taking a trip to FW. Breakfast at whispering canyon is a must, and I recommend at least one night at the lounge...I can't remember the name. The food and atmosphere is great! Don't miss the geyser by the pool, it's a really beautiful area.

dolce20

My tip: Territory Lounge in the evening. They share a kitchen/chef with Artist Point. A secluded and cozy spot to enjoy a cocktail and the incredible smoky mushroom soup at a better price than what AP sells it at next door.

We just stayed at WL and loved every single thing about it. Savor all the beauty and details. Enjoy!!!

FitzherbertFreak

Eating at Whispering Canyon Cafe has always been a favorite for me. Being on site, is even better! The food is great, and the atmosphere is so much fun! Dancing, telling jokes, sarcasm, good food, there's nothing better. If you're willing to put in a little more money, try Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (though at the moment, the price for that is ridiculous). I'm sure you've heard about the campfire with Chip 'n Dale. There's music, a movie, and s'mores. If you're up for that, bring your own marshmallows and other ingredients. Last time I was there, they charged $5 for a bag - silly, right? Another nice feature at night is the Electrical Water P agent. Sure, you can see this at other resorts (you might have in the past), but I think seeing it at WL is just perfect. And as others have said, just enjoy the resort. Of course, everyone wants to enjoy the parks, but if you have an extra day, i recommend spending it around the hotel. The Deluxe Resorts are always so beautiful, and have so much to do and see. If you have younger people in your party, or if you're up for it, try the hidden mickey hunt around the hotel.

TinkerbellKate

It's probably my favorite resort. I really enjoy just walking around (both outside and around the lobby) early in the morning or late at night when it's not very crowded. There is something so grand but unassuming about the WL. We enjoy renting bikes and riding on the paths between the WL and Fort Wilderness.

Dog Ate Mouse

Okay please allow me to be the one that takes the opposite approach. I would really re-think staying at the wilderness Lodge. Please allow me to explain further:

1) Your Family probably really hate having to try and enjoy all the beauty and wonder that is put into the construction of the hotel FROM Totem polls to really cool southwestern style chandeliers to a magnificent stone fire place
2) They will think they are staying in a low class hotel when they see a hot spring rise out of the floor in the far end of the lobby and run into the pool via a trout stream.
3) I wouldn't blame them for getting upset with you for being in that relaxing and peaceful atmosphere.
4) One restaurant is completely wild and sarcastic and don't take well to strangers asking for ketchup.
5) Very large amounts of boring things to do, Fishing, Boating, Bicycling, Swimming, Trout Pass Bar, Hot Tub and yes a very old underground water pipe is broken and they cover it up by calling it a geyser.
6) Then throw in the views and all the water and it would make one maybe smile if there jaws weren't already dropped. I know I would hate you for this.
7) At the end of night a little water pageant light parade and oh yes the transportation stinks. Imagine having to take a dumb old boat to the Magic kingdom if you want to. The buses take you to all stupid destinations like other parks with weird and colorful exhibits and rides. My god who in there right mind would love that.
8) The small late night snack bar only serves staples like peanut butter and jelly and other stupid snacks that people hate to eat.
9) The gift shop at one time was over run by bears and has clothing that most people would like to buy for souvenirs but I am quite sure your family will hate the gift shop and not beg to buy this shirt or snack or something else that would tickle there fancy.

I am so sorry to report all these things to you, but you must be made aware of all the possibilities that your family might actually enjoy themselves and have fun and do I dare say laugh and possibly smile. I am sorry to report these things to you. I just feel that some one on this thread should tell you the truth before it's to late.

By the way: HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom