Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
At the 5:10-5:14 mark in the video above there's a grassy clearing where the coaster passes by slowly enough that something could have been added like a much needed startle of an animated leaping raptor or possibly a screenz element or relocated static figure should they ever decide to make changes down the road.

The ending though is the bigger issue. Obviously it was truncated due to budget or time. Armchairing an alternate ending: Would it have been too morbid seeing a scratched, severely damaged empty coaster train wrapped in overgrowth under the dimly lit lights of malfunctioning maintenance bay area as raptors walk along the coaster cars peering at us as we pass by from the adjacent track?

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

At the 5:10-5:14 mark in the video above there's a grassy clearing where the coaster passes by slowly enough that something could have been added like a much needed startle of an animated leaping raptor or possibly a screenz element or relocated static figure should they ever decide to make changes down the road.

The ending though is bigger issue. Obviously it was truncated due to budget or time. Armchairing an alternate ending: Would it have been too morbid seeing a scratched, severely damaged empty coaster train wrapped in overgrowth under the dimly lit lights of malfunctioning maintenance bay area as raptors walk along the coaster cars peering at us as we pass by from the adjacent track?

It wouldn't be morbid but I like that they decided not to do a "something goes wrong" story, or any story really, for this.

celluloid

It wouldn't be morbid but I like that they decided not to do a "something goes wrong" story, or any story really, for this.

That is what makes Discovery Center, Camp Jurassic and the former Triceratops Encounter as good and much needed side attractions. River Adventure is where things went to chaos in the films, and they still had those other aspects at IOA that allows it to feel like a living Dino Zoo where some of those aw inspiring moments of things going right happened.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It wouldn't be morbid but I like that they decided not to do a "something goes wrong" story, or any story for this.
Fair. It's an overused trope but one befitting the frenetic/frantic nature of a coaster or thrill ride. Is the current ending satisfactory or would one typically expect some type of resolve to the established "raptors on the loose" storyline?

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Fair. It's an overused trope but one befitting the frenetic/frantic nature of a coaster or thrill ride. Is the current ending satisfactory or would one typically expect some type of resolve to the established "raptors on the loose" storyline?

That's not really the story though. The story is basically just that this is a roller coaster at Jurassic World that takes you through the raptor containment area so you can experience "running" with the raptors.

PostScott

Indeed River Adventure fills that plotpoint of the entire island and the Claire and Owen Preshow almost comes off as too much foreshadowing to me. That is likely why people expect the Jurassic Folly to happen.
But then again, when your entire franchise is based around a theme park where things go wrong... what else do you have to work with when making the rides?

celluloid

But then again, when your entire franchise is based around a theme park where things go wrong... what else do you have to work with when making the rides?

That is fair and certainly the major attraction since opening day has done that. See my earlier post in reference to that point. 1999 had it down pat. River Adventure, Discovery Center, Camp Jurassic, Triceratops Encounter with the trail and live actors completed the entire atmosphere with the suspenseful portions of the film but also the awe inspiring notes as well. It was a complete land. This coaster compliments that idea, we are just missing something like Trike(Raptor Encounter is great but a bit too scary compared to awe inspiring) and Discovery Center needs to fix its damages and refurb.

JT3000

Is it though? IOA's Jurassic Park isn't the one from the films, which never even opened to the public because things had already gone wrong beforehand. This JP is a fully operational park by the time we see it. It's obviously in the spirit of the book/film for things to go wrong, but they don't always have to. Likewise, Jurassic World was also up and running for a time before things eventually went wrong as shown in the films.

Considering there isn't enough space in Jurassic... park... world... land... thing... for a ton of attractions, I think having more than one where the park starts to go haywire would be overkill. It would also hurt the potential for suspension of disbelief. If the park is going to hell on every attraction you encounter, you should be questioning how it's still operating at all.

Giss Neric

When doesn't it have air time? I don't think I was ever in my seat. It lacks intensity because it feels "floaty" the entire time.
Interesting. Is that a positive or negative for you? That's all I hear mostly is that it's floaty all throughout. I love air times anyways.

So what was your review of the ride?

Poseidon Quest

Interesting. Is that a positive or negative for you? That's all I hear mostly is that it's floaty all throughout. I love air times anyways.

So what was your review of the ride?

I thought it was kind of "meh" at first. I think part of the reason for that though was that it left me confused. I was fortunate to ride more than once and as I began to understand what it was trying to do, I felt it's pretty exceptional. I expected to feel a lot of positive G's like the Hulk, but it's doing the opposite. Once I understood that, it just kind of "clicked" and it's a world class edition to the park. It's a good contrast to the Hulk because it brings the intensity, but in the "I'm not staying in my seat during the inversions" kind of way. It's not as physically intense, but still just as thrilling.

AEfx

My thoughts EXACTLY. If you are ever going to use that trope...it's on Jurassic Park, LOL. That's the entire point. ;)

That said, I also didn't need some complex story, or any more of one than is there - it's just the fact that there are no real show scenes that is still the downer for me.

I get that the bare steel stuff is part of the theming, on purpose - but I can't help when I see load and unload but think...it looks like a Six Flags ride. A very, very nice Six Flags ride - but a Six Flags ride, no less.

Tom Morrow

My thoughts EXACTLY. If you are ever going to use that trope...it's on Jurassic Park, LOL. That's the entire point. ;)

That said, I also didn't need some complex story, or any more of one than is there - it's just the fact that there are no real show scenes that is still the downer for me.

I get that the bare steel stuff is part of the theming, on purpose - but I can't help when I see load and unload but think...it looks like a Six Flags ride. A very, very nice Six Flags ride - but a Six Flags ride, no less.

Nah. Hulk is a "Six Flags" coaster. Bare bones/cheap theming, dirty, trashy. But it does have a nice lighting package. This is a much better presentation than Hulk, though I agree that it needed a second show scene at the end at least.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom