Jungle Cruise Update

Professortango1

Right. So I wish they’d tone down this PC BS.

They aren't changing Splash to be PC. They are changing it to make $$. They get to advertise a "new" attraction without spending a ton of money. This new attraction will sell Merch and Movies which Splash Mountain wasn't really able to do. Its the same exact scenario as TOT becoming Mission BO. They just get to package it in a more humanitarian package.

mickEblu

They aren't changing Splash to be PC. They are changing it to make $$. They get to advertise a "new" attraction without spending a ton of money. This new attraction will sell Merch and Movies which Splash Mountain wasn't really able to do. Its the same exact scenario as TOT becoming Mission BO. They just get to package it in a more humanitarian package.

Did you read the end of the article you shared? This has nothing do with merch. Stop.

EDIT: oops. You re not El Super. My point stands though.

Sailor310

"the reimagining of Splash Mountain to a theme inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog”

As far as I can find, it was nowhere near the top 10 Disney animated films

Lebeau's Le Blog asks

Why’d it Bomb? The Princess and the Frog (2009)​

4. People thought the movie was racist
While I doubt racists themselves affected the movie’s box office gross, there were rumors about the movie that turned some people off and made them think it was racist. Some of these things were changed (like Tiana was changed from a chamber maid to a waitress) but, even when the movie’s trailers started airing, there were still things that people found to be problematic of the movie, like the fact that the first Black Disney Princess spends most of the movie being a frog. It didn’t help that many Disney movies in the past have had racial stereotypes in them. In their defense, most of those movies happened back when racial stereotyping was the norm but, at least back then, people still gave Disney a hard time for it.

Californian Elitist

"the reimagining of Splash Mountain to a theme inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog”

As far as I can find, it was nowhere near the top 10 Disney animated films

Lebeau's Le Blog asks

Why’d it Bomb? The Princess and the Frog (2009)​

4. People thought the movie was racist
While I doubt racists themselves affected the movie’s box office gross, there were rumors about the movie that turned some people off and made them think it was racist. Some of these things were changed (like Tiana was changed from a chamber maid to a waitress) but, even when the movie’s trailers started airing, there were still things that people found to be problematic of the movie, like the fact that the first Black Disney Princess spends most of the movie being a frog. It didn’t help that many Disney movies in the past have had racial stereotypes in them. In their defense, most of those movies happened back when racial stereotyping was the norm but, at least back then, people still gave Disney a hard time for it.
Top 10 lists are always subjective.

The Princess and the Frog is one of those films that has gotten more popular over time. It’s certainly and obviously more popular than Song of the South and will have no problem selling merchandise.

AnonymousStitch

No, I said the movie the Princess and the Frog is more popular than the movie Song of the South. There currently is no Princess and the Frog ride to compare to the popularity of Splash Mountain.
I already know what you said. And what you said about the movies did not sound completely true. It was popular for when people get the chance to see it online or in a printed disc. Same thing for Disney Sing Along Songs when they see the songs in the videos. And it only seemed less popular because people never got the chance to see it and don't know the movie well, because of Disney's bad bosses' current actions. That's all I mean. Not saying Princess and the Frog is not popular.

Sailor310

I found a site with all Disney films box office. TPATF is 101st vs the article above's " all-time favorite animated Disney film"

No big point to make, just that her quote isn't accurate.

FYI: I kept checking the list. Song of the South is 254th of all time Disney movies with $65M box office

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I already know what you said. And what you said about the movies did not sound completely true. It was popular for when people get the chance to see it online or in a printed disc. Same thing for Disney Sing Along Songs when they see the songs in the videos. And it only seemed less popular because people never got the chance to see it and don't know the movie well, because of Disney's bad bosses' current actions. That's all I mean. Not saying Princess and the Frog is not popular.
If you know I said it, then why did you quote me as if I was comparing a ride to a film?

The Princess and the Frog is currently more popular than Song of the South, one reason alone being that the latter cannot be officially found anywhere. As I said before, the reasons are obvious. PatF is still more popular than SotS, which was my very simple point that you seem to be trying to tangle into something else.

mickEblu

Top 10 lists are always subjective.

The Princess and the Frog is one of those films that has gotten more popular over time. It’s certainly and obviously more popular than Song of the South and will have no problem selling merchandise.

Princess and the Frog is definitely more popular than SOTS with the masses. Even though it wasn’t a huge hit when it came out, it has gotten more popular through the years. With that said, I think comparing Song of the South to Princess and the Frog in regards to Splash Mountain is moot as the ride has already cemented itself as an iconic Disney parks classic. So the real comparison is between Splash Mountain v. Splash Mountain with a POTF theme. The only way comparing the two IP is relevant is if they were both new builds. Basically, will they do a good enough job that people “forget” the Splash Mountain they knew and loved? A tall order, as Splash is an amazing experience with an iconic soundtrack. Especially tall order since overlays are inherently starting at a disadvantage. This isn’t like TOT. Splash relied much more on its music, sets and characters. There is not only a lot more that can go wrong with this overlay but there is more that people are emotionally attached to. And it’s in Disneyland. And it’s the original.

Californian Elitist

Princess and the Frog is definitely more popular than SOTS with the masses. Even though it wasn’t a huge hit when it came out, it has gotten more popular through the years. With that said, I think comparing Song of the South to Princess and the Frog in regards to Splash Mountain is moot as the ride has already cemented itself as an iconic Disney parks classic. So the real comparison is between Splash Mountain v. Splash Mountain with a POTF theme. The only way comparing the two IP is relevant is if they were both new builds. Basically, will they do a good enough job that people “forget” the Splash Mountain they knew and loved? A tall order, as Splash is an amazing experience with an iconic soundtrack. Especially tall order since overlays are inherently starting at a disadvantage. This isn’t like TOT. Splash relied much more on its music, sets and characters. There is not only a lot more that can go wrong with this overlay but there is more that people are emotionally attached to. And it’s in Disneyland. And it’s the original.
I’m not comparing it to Splash though. I’m only comparing the films, unrelated to Splash.

Since you brought it up though, I will speak on it. I agree that any actual comparison to Splash will be the PatF ride when it opens. As popular as Splash is, I have no doubt that the PatF re-hash will draw crowds and will be liked by guests. Not only will it be a new ride, but it’s based on a princess film. The only ones thinking about its replacement of Splash and its place in the original Disneyland are fans like us, and we are the minority. The general public couldn’t care less.

mickEblu

I’m not comparing it to Splash though. I’m only comparing the films, unrelated to Splash.

Since you brought it up though, I will speak on it. I agree that any actual comparison to Splash will be the PatF ride when it opens. As popular as Splash is, I have no doubt that the PatF re-hash will draw crowds and will be liked by guests. Not only will it be a new ride, but it’s based on a princess film. The only ones thinking about its replacement of Splash and its place in the original Disneyland are fans like us, and we are the minority. The general public couldn’t care less.

I see. I guess I thought you were trying to say Frog Mountain will be more popular because its based on a more popular film. It will certainly be popular but id argue its popularity is more determined by the good bones of the Splash Mountain attraction, ride layout, nice sets (if they keep them similar), thrills etc. Its an E ticket attraction if there ever was one. What I'm saying is the PatF retheme will not make it MORE popular. I don't think its just super fans like us that are affected by this change. I mean, if its true that 50% of DL guests are AP's that's a whole lot of people that are possibly negatively impacted by this change. Yeah there are the people that go twice a decade and may or may not notice something changed on the"log ride' but I think you have to give Splash Mountain more credit. The music/ soundtrack alone is iconic. Basically, I think there is more for them to lose than to gain from this change from just about every angle other than politically.

AnonymousStitch

If you know I said it, then why did you quote me as if I was comparing a ride to a film?

The Princess and the Frog is currently more popular than Song of the South, one reason alone being that the latter cannot be officially found anywhere. As I said before, the reasons are obvious. PatF is still more popular than SotS, which was my very simple point that you seem to be trying to tangle into something else.
That was not it and not what I was saying. I was I was not comparing the ride to the film. I was giving examples of what makes the movie, SOTS, popular by adding the songs and ride, which they represent, as examples. You misinterpreted. Also, the movie won a great award since the year it was released, if I remember correctly. That's all I meant.

Californian Elitist

I see. I guess I thought you were trying to say Frog Mountain will be more popular because its based on a more popular film. It will certainly be popular but id argue its popularity is more determined by the good bones of the Splash Mountain attraction, ride layout, nice sets (if they keep them similar), thrills etc. Its an E ticket attraction if there ever was one. What I'm saying is the PatF retheme will not make it MORE popular. I don't think its just super fans like us that are affected by this change. I mean, if its true that 50% of DL guests are AP's that's a whole lot of people that are possibly negatively impacted by this change. Yeah there are the people that go twice a decade and may or may not notice something changed on the"log ride' but I think you have to give Splash Mountain more credit. The music/ soundtrack alone is iconic. Basically, I think there is more for them to lose than to gain from this change from just about every angle other than politically.
Oh no, not at all. Someone has made a comment about PatF’s popularity as a movie and I mentioned that it has gotten more popular over the years. I was strictly talking about it as a film and in no relation to Splash.

I agree that some of its popularity and curiosity from guests will stem from what is currently there now and what will eventually be there before. I also agree that the ride will most likely not be any more popular than Splash. I personally give Splash tons of credit. It’s the casual fans that I can’t trust to give the ride credit. I as a traditionalist Disneyland fan can recognize Splash as a historical and classic Disneyland ride, but I can also recognize that I am a minority and my voice and opinion are silenced amongst a crowd of general Disneyland guests who simply go because it’s fun. In terms of more to lose than gain... Not sure about that yet. I imagine the merchandising opportunities that will come from this that might give them something to gain. Not to mention the story hasn’t been told yet (it takes place after the film), so if any new characters are introduced, I can definitely see them creating merchandise based on that. Add in the possibility of a little eatery and you’ve got a money-maker. We’ll see though.

mickEblu

Oh no, not at all. Someone has made a comment about PatF’s popularity as a movie and I mentioned that it has gotten more popular over the years. I was strictly talking about it as a film and in no relation to Splash.

I agree that some of its popularity and curiosity from guests will stem from what is currently there now and what will eventually be there before. I also agree that the ride will most likely not be any more popular than Splash. I personally give Splash tons of credit. It’s the casual fans that I can’t trust to give the ride credit. I as a traditionalist Disneyland fan can recognize Splash as a historical and classic Disneyland ride, but I can also recognize that I am a minority and my voice and opinion are silenced amongst a crowd of general Disneyland guests who simply go because it’s fun. In terms of more to lose than gain... Not sure about that yet. I imagine the merchandising opportunities that will come from this that might give them something to gain. Not to mention the story hasn’t been told yet (it takes place after the film), so if any new characters are introduced, I can definitely see them creating merchandise based on that. Add in the possibility of a little eatery and you’ve got a money-maker. We’ll see though.

True they could make some more money food and merchandise. With that said, Splash was treated as the red headed step child when it came to merch so we ll never be able to make a real comparison. I'm not sure if that's because they don't think Splash merch would sell, they suck at their job or what? Im leaning towards the latter. Case in point: POTC's 50th merch.

Californian Elitist

True they could make some more money food and merchandise. With that said, Splash was treated as the red headed step child when it came to merch so we ll never be able to make a real comparison. I'm not sure if that's because they don't think Splash merch would sell, they suck at their job or what? Im leaning towards the latter. Case in point: POTC's 50th merch.
The lack of POTC’s 50th merchandise still stumps me to this day. That just made no sense. I think Tiki Room received more love for its 50th.

mickEblu

The lack of POTC’s 50th merchandise still stumps me to this day. That just made no sense. I think Tiki Room received more love for its 50th.

Literally not one piece of merch with the talking skull on it. SMH. How have they not just made a mini replica of it? I know for Disneyland’s 50th they made some huge limited Edition ones. I’d be cool with just a small replica

Californian Elitist

Literally not one piece of merch with the talking skull on it. SMH. How have they not just made a mini replica of it? I know for Disneyland’s 50th they made some huge limited Edition ones. I’d be cool with just a small replica
The talking skull is my favorite part of the ride. I haven’t bought a piece of Disneyland merchandise in years, but I’d buy a replica of the talking skull.

Disney is all about milking their IPs for money... Pirates is obviously one of the most popular rides, and yet nothing. A perfect opportunity wasted. Maybe we’ll get some stuff for DL’s 75th, but I wouldn’t count on it. Can’t count on Disney for anything nowadays, except disappointment and mediocre offerings in the park that don’t interest me lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom