Jungle Cruise Update

TP2000

Well look at that, they do. I didn't know this so thanks.

That looks like a great experience for a Disney Dad. I'd love it if Disneyland would do this, though the more diminutive size of Disneyland USA's Main Street makes that financially unlikely for them. I expect they they make more selling the usual (ahem) "stuff."

The two Main Streets are nearly the exact same size, especially in the placement and scope of the retail strip along both sides of the street. The differences you notice in WDW are due to slight differences in height, and in open square footage in the Town Square or around the Hub where no retail exists. But for street width, sidewalk width, building square footage, etc. they are nearly identical for their two blocks or retail/dining complexes.

Here are both parks seen from the same scale (before Star Wars Land).
DKDwy.jpg

And where WDW seems so much larger is at the end of Main Street as it opens up into the Hub, or more properly the "Central Plaza". But like the Town Square on the opposite end of the street, there's no retail buildings there. The "bigness" is all just a trick of the eye and the mind as the Imagineers had really upped their game between the time they formalized the designs for Disneyland in 1954 and the time they formalized the designs for WDW in 1969.

Notice the distance from the top of Main Street to the Castle drawbridge in each park; Disneyland at top and WDW below. They are nearly identical in length although WDW pushes the land entrances further beyond the circle. And that helps the WDW Castle look further away and the Hub much larger. And yet the space involved is nearly identical.

images

My point? You're damn right there's space in Disneyland for a barber shop! Can you imagine the prices they could charge and the mystique it would have with the SoCal AP Dad crowd?!?

Yet again, we think of stuff that TDA doesn't have the brain power for, or they can't find the scissors to cut all that red tape they are strangled with. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Well look at that, they do. I didn't know this so thanks.

That looks like a great experience for a Disney Dad. I'd love it if Disneyland would do this, though the more diminutive size of Disneyland USA's Main Street makes that financially unlikely for them. I expect they they make more selling the usual (ahem) "stuff."
I've always wanted to go in there but a haircut has never been on the cards when I'm at DLP! It's wonderfully old school Disney, tucked away in a corner without much fanfare but really beautifully detailed and unique.

CraftyFox

Okay so I’m getting into this like- super late into the conversation, but like- one argument that I’ve seen brought up here is that something like the headhunters scene isn’t culturally insensitive because it was: A. Not the original intention to be malicious and B. ”Just” part of a theme park. But I feel like, if anything, don’t these factors make it even more of a pressing issue? Art has always been a product of its cultural context and an artifact of its time, but I think this is especially true with themed design. Unlike many other forms of art, a theme park is a living, breathing, ever-changing entity. Just because the original creators never intended for a depiction to be problematic doesn’t mean it can’t be, and as citizens of the 21st century it’s our responsibility to take this into account. We are experiencing a vast expansion in the social consciousness and it’s necessary to adapt. THEMERICA wrote an excellent post on this topic in reference to the Worlds of Fun theme park in Kansas City but I think it applies just as well here. Anyways, that’s just my two cents.

Practical Pig

The two Main Streets are nearly the exact same size, especially in the placement and scope of the retail strip along both sides of the street. The differences you notice in WDW are due to slight differences in height, and in open square footage in the Town Square or around the Hub where no retail exists. But for street width, sidewalk width, building square footage, etc. they are nearly identical for their two blocks or retail/dining complexes.

Here are both parks seen from the same scale (before Star Wars Land).
DKDwy.jpg

And where WDW seems so much larger is at the end of Main Street as it opens up into the Hub, or more properly the "Central Plaza". But like the Town Square on the opposite end of the street, there's no retail buildings there. The "bigness" is all just a trick of the eye and the mind as the Imagineers had really upped their game between the time they formalized the designs for Disneyland in 1954 and the time they formalized the designs for WDW in 1969.

Notice the distance from the top of Main Street to the Castle drawbridge in each park; Disneyland at top and WDW below. They are nearly identical in length although WDW pushes the land entrances further beyond the circle. And that helps the WDW Castle look further away and the Hub much larger. And yet the space involved is nearly identical.

images

My point? You're damn right there's space in Disneyland for a barber shop! Can you imagine the prices they could charge and the mystique it would have with the SoCal AP Dad crowd?!?

Yet again, we think of stuff that TDA doesn't have the brain power for, or they can't find the scissors to cut all that red tape they are strangled with. :rolleyes:
Well thanks for putting that work in, but what does that have to do with Disneyland Paris? The link I posted was to Dapper Dan's Hair Cuts in DLP.

TP2000

And here's the rundown on what ethnicities and cultures are represented in each Disneyland ride, with notable mentions when normal humans (not humanoid aliens) appear in a prominent role in an attraction.

For the Fantasyland dark rides, I just am noting the country that each fairy tale came from, and we can surmise that an Italian fairy tale portrays Italians, an English fairy tale portrays Britons, etc.

But first, a little refresher from our friends at the US Census Bureau on the current racial and ethnic makeup of the United States in 2020.

United States Racial & Ethnic Statistics - Circa 2020

58.6% White
18.4% Latino/Hispanic
12.8% Black/African-American
6.1% Asian/Pacific Islander
3.2% Mixed Race
0.9% American Indian or Eskimo

Disneyland Attractions Racial/Ethnicity/National Representation - Circa 2020

Main Street USA = 1 White Male American

• Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln - 1 White Male Animatronic 🇺🇸
Adventureland = 18 African Males, 3 White Males, 1 White Female
  • Enchanted Tiki Room - Fantasy Based, But Includes Caricatures from England, Germany, France, Mexico
  • Jungle Cruise - 17 Black Males, 1 White Male
  • Indiana Jones Adventure - 1 White Male, 1 Egyptian Male 🇺🇸
  • Tarzan's Treehouse - 1 White Male, 1 White Female 🇬🇧
New Orleans Square = 37 White Males, 5 Hispanic Males, 5 White Females, 4 Hispanic Females, 1 Asian Male
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - 30 White Males, 5 Hispanic Males, 4 Hispanic Females, 1 Asian Male, 1 White Female 🇺🇸
  • Haunted Mansion = Fantasy Based Ghosts, But Includes Portraits of 6 White Males, 1 Asian Male, and 4 White Females 🇺🇸
Critter Country = No Direct Human Representation
  • Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes - Named After White Male Who Liked Tight Pants With Fringe 🇺🇸
  • Splash Mountain - Fantasy Based, American South Literature 🇺🇸
  • Winnite The Pooh - Fantasy Based, British Literature 🇬🇧
Frontierland = 1 White Male, 8 Indian Males, 4 Indian Females
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Fantasy Based & No Human Representation 🇺🇸
  • Mark Twain Riverboat, American Literature, 8 Indian Males, 4 Indian Females 🇺🇸
  • Sailing Ship Columbia, American History, 8 Indian Males, 4 Indian Females 🇺🇸
  • Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, American Literature, 1 White Male 🇺🇸
Fantasyland = No Direct Human Representation (dolls, dwarves and princesses aplenty however, and a snowman)
  • Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Thru, British Literature 🇬🇧
  • Snow White's Enchanted Wish, German Literature 🇩🇪
  • Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Italian Literature 🇮🇹
  • Peter Pan's Flight, British Literature 🇬🇧
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, British Literature 🇬🇧
  • Alice In Wonderland, British Literature 🇬🇧
  • Mad Tea Party, British Literature 🇬🇧
  • King Arthur's Carousel, British Literature 🇬🇧
  • Dumbo Flying Elephant, American Literature 🇺🇸
  • Casey Jr. Circus Train, American Literature 🇺🇸
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats, A Mish-Mash of Everything "Disney" of the last 70 years
  • it's a small world, Literally Everyone 🌎
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds, Fantasy Based on a Swiss Alps Icon 🇨🇭
Mickey's Toontown - 1 White Female
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Fantasy Based, 1 White Female 🇺🇸
  • Gadget's Go Coaster, Fantasy Based 🇺🇸
  • Meet Mickey, Fantasy Based 🇺🇸
Star Wars Land - 1 White Female, 1 Black Male, 1 White Male
  • Millennium Falcon: Target Run - Fantasy Based, No Human Representation
  • Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn - Fantasy Based, 1 White Female, 1 Black Male, 1 White Male
Tomorrowland - 1 White Male, 1 White Female
  • Star Tours - Fantasy Based, No Human Representation
  • Space Mountain - Fantasy Based, No Human Representation
  • Astro Orbiter - Fantasy Based, No Human Representation
  • Autopia - Fantasy Based, No Human Representation 🇺🇸
  • Monorail - Transportation, No Human Representation 🇺🇸
  • Submarine Voyage - Fantasy Based, 1 White Female 🇦🇺
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - Fantasy Based, 1 White Male 🇺🇸
So, what does that get us? Roughly speaking...

94 humans appear in Disneyland attractions prominently, either as animatronics or notable visual presentations.

And of those 94 humans that appear prominently in Disneyland's attractions....

77 Are Males = 81%
17 Are Females = 19%

52 Are White = 55%
42 Are Non-White = 45%

44 Are White Males = 46%
19 Are Black Males = 23%
9 Are White Females = 9%
8 Are American Indian Males = 8%
5 Are Hispanic Males = 5%
4 Are Hispanic Females = 4%
4 Are American Indian Females = 4%
1 Is An Asian Male = 1%

30 Attractions at Disneyland are set in a specific country or use a specific countries literature/culture to tell the story :

18 Are American Stories/Locations = 60% 🇺🇸
8 Are British Stories/Locations = 27% 🇬🇧
1 Is German = 3% 🇩🇪
1 Is Italian = 3% 🇮🇹
1 Is Swiss = 3% 🇨🇭
1 Is Australian = 3% 🇦🇺

What does that all mean?... 🧐

From a quick breeze through those numbers, Disneyland is way over-representing the males.

And Asians and Latinos are vastly under-represented in attractions, compared to American demographics.

The Black representation currently is well above it's share of American demographics, but most of those may be considered "negative depictions" because they involve rural Africans appearing in a ride about rural Africa. And if they really do remove all of the Africans from the Jungle Cruise, there will be only one Black character appearing in a prominent role in Disneyland; the brief interaction we get of Finn hiding behind the crates in Rise Before Dawn.

The national/cultural breakdown was no big surprise. This is, after all, an American theme park dedicated to America and beloved by a majority of Americans (but a minority of people who live in Sacramento).

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

And here's the rundown on what ethnicities and cultures are represented in each Disneyland ride, with notable mentions when normal humans (not humanoid aliens) appear in a prominent role in an attraction.

For the Fantasyland dark rides, I just am noting the country that each fairy tale came from, and we can surmise that an Italian fairy tale portrays Italians, an English fairy tale portrays Britons, etc.

But first, a little refresher from our friends at the US Census Bureau on the currenty racial and ethnic makeup of the United States in 2020.

53.6% White
18.4% Latino/Hispanic
5.0% Some Other Race (likely wanted to call themselves a race not included on the Census survey)
3.4% Mixed Race

• Enchanted Tiki Room - Fantasy Based, But Includes Caricatures from England, Germany, France, Mexico
New Orleans Square = 37 White Males, 5 Hispanic Males, 5 White Females, 4 Hispanic Females
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - 30 White Males, 5 Hispanic Males, 4 Hispanic Females, 1 Asian Male, 1 White Female 🇺🇸
  • Haunted Mansion = Fantasy Based Ghosts, But Includes Portraits of 7 White Males and 4 White Females 🇺🇸
  • Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes - Named After White Male Who Liked Tight Pants With Fringe 🇺🇸
  • Mark Twain Riverboat, American Literature, 8 Indian Males, 4 Indian Females 🇺🇸
Fantasyland = No Direct Human Representation (dolls, dwarves and princesses aplenty however, and a snowman)
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats, A Mish-Mash of Everything "Disney" of the last 70 years
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds, Fantasy Based on Swiss Alps Icon 🇨🇭
Mickey's Toontown - No Direct Human Representation
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Fantasy Based 🇺🇸
  • Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn - Fantasy Based, 1 White Female, 1 Black Male, 1 White Male

93 humans appear in Disneyland attractions prominently, either as animatronics or notable visual presentations. Of those 93 humans that appear in Disneyland's attractions....

77 Are Males = 83%
16 Are Females = 17%

44 Are White Males = 47%
19 Are Black Males = 23%
8 Are White Females = 8%
1 Is An Asian Male = 1%

30 Attractions at Disneyland are set in a specific country or use a specific countries literature/culture to tell the story :

1 Is German = 3% 🇩🇪
1 Is Italian = 3% 🇮🇹
1 Is Swiss = 3% 🇨🇭
1 Is Australian = 3% 🇦🇺

From a quick breeze through those numbers, Disneyland is way over-representing the males.

And Asians and Latinos are vastly under-represented in attractions, compared to American demographics.

The Black representation currently is well above it's share of American demographics, but most of those may be considered "negative depictions" because they involve rural Africans appearing in a ride about rural Africa. And if they really do remove all of the Africans from the Jungle Cruise, there will be only one Black character appearing in a prominent role in Disneyland; the brief interaction we get of Finn hiding behind the crates in Rise Before Dawn.

The national/cultural breakdown was no big surprise. This is, after all, an American theme park dedicated to America and beloved by a majority of Americans (but a minority of people who live in Sacramento).

Sometimes I love the weird little things we decide to spend our time on here in the forum, and the fact you took the time to research and post this is both awesome and kind of amusing. This post does make me think that maybe a Coco ride would be better suited for Disneyland, not DCA- I've long thought a boat ride that takes you through the world and music of Coco- like Pirates on steroids, could be really amazing. Since it really does have a delightful soundtrack and a beautifully designed world that would be perfectly suited for a dark ride. But Disneyland proper doesn't necessarily need another boat ride.

mickEblu

Sometimes I love the weird little things we decide to spend our time on here in the forum, and the fact you took the time to research and post this is both awesome and kind of amusing. This post does make me think that maybe a Coco ride would be better suited for Disneyland, not DCA- I've long thought a boat ride that takes you through the world and music of Coco- like Pirates on steroids, could be really amazing. Since it really does have a delightful soundtrack and a beautifully designed world that would be perfectly suited for a dark ride. But Disneyland proper doesn't necessarily need another boat ride.

I would love a Coco ride but I would prefer it in DCA. I’d prefer a suspended dark ride but would be more than happy with a boat ride at DCA. The Coco soundtrack is amazing and it’s great enough to catapult the movie to my favorite Pixar Film. Never really thought it about it before but it probably has the most repeat value of all the Pixar films for me. Mostly
due to the music and the ending even after seeing it (in pieces) numerous times still hits just as good as the first time.

Did you say Pirates on steroids!?! Are we talking Coco getting the ROTR treatment?

SuddenStorm

I would love a Coco ride but I would prefer it in DCA. I’d prefer a suspended dark ride but would be more than happy with a boat ride at DCA. The Coco soundtrack is amazing and it’s great enough to catapult the movie to my favorite Pixar Film. Never really thought it about it before but it probably has the most repeat value of all the Pixar films for me. Mostly
due to the music and the ending even after seeing it (in pieces) numerous times still hits just as good as the first time.

Did you say Pirates on steroids!?! Are we talking Coco getting the ROTR treatment?

Beyond being a solid film Coco became a cultural phenomenon. It's perfectly suited for a ride in the parks, far more so then many others.

Coco getting the Pirates treatment is really a wish of mine, and I doubt that's what would happen but dang it'd be cool.

mickEblu

Beyond being a solid film Coco became a cultural phenomenon. It's perfectly suited for a ride in the parks, far more so then many others.

Coco getting the Pirates treatment is really a wish of mine, and I doubt that's what would happen but dang it'd be cool.

It would be amazing. If it is half as good as Pirates it would be the greatest thing Disney/ WDI pulled off in a while.

CraftyFox

But first, a little refresher from our friends at the US Census Bureau on the current racial and ethnic makeup of the United States in 2020.

58.6% White
18.4% Latino/Hispanic
3.2% Mixed Race

New Orleans Square = 37 White Males, 5 Hispanic Males, 5 White Females, 4 Hispanic Females, 1 Asian Male
  • Haunted Mansion = Fantasy Based Ghosts, But Includes Portraits of 7 White Males and 4 White Females 🇺🇸
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds, Fantasy Based on a Swiss Alps Icon 🇨🇭
Mickey's Toontown - 1 White Female
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Fantasy Based, 1 White Female 🇺🇸

94 humans appear in Disneyland attractions prominently, either as animatronics or notable visual presentations.

And of those 94 humans that appear prominently in Disneyland's attractions....

77 Are Males = 81%
17 Are Females = 19%

44 Are White Males = 46%
19 Are Black Males = 23%
9 Are White Females = 9%
1 Is An Asian Male = 1%

1 Is German = 3% 🇩🇪
1 Is Italian = 3% 🇮🇹
1 Is Swiss = 3% 🇨🇭
1 Is Australian = 3% 🇦🇺

That’s a really interesting rundown! This is completely random but I do think you might possibly be missing on Asian male. Isn’t Constance’s third Husband, the Marquis, supposed to be Chinese? In his actual portrait his race is actually pretty ambiguous (Asian? Eastern European?) and they’re described in most official publications (which is almost never) as being “foreign” and some kind of “diplomat”. The military paraphernalia in his outfit and wedding gifts would also fit nicely in the timeline of the Second Opium War. The actual title of Marquis is actually the Chinese nobility form of the European Marquess- which I find to be the most definite evidence.

Attachments

• 0D03FC09-1F1C-4456-AE3E-5D4595197D6D.jpeg
    0D03FC09-1F1C-4456-AE3E-5D4595197D6D.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

mickEblu

That’s a really interesting rundown! This is completely random but I do think you might possibly be missing on Asian male. Isn’t Constance’s third Husband, the Marquis, supposed to be Chinese? In his actual portrait his race is actually pretty ambiguous (Asian? Eastern European?) and they’re described in most official publications (which is almost never) as being “foreign” and some kind of “diplomat”. The actual title of Marquis is actually the Chinese nobility form of the European Marquess- which I find to be the most definite evidence.

I’m getting Mongolian vibes

Sir_Cliff

It would be amazing. If it is half as good as Pirates it would be the greatest thing Disney/ WDI pulled off in a while.
Regarding the topic of this thread, I am fully supportive of making Jungle Cruise less cringe worthy.

It does kind of annoy me, though, that amidst all this talk of diversity they're not doing more with Coco which both provides greater representation for their US visitors and is beloved in Mexico. Particularly given the controversial beginning of the project, Coco was a major achievement and would make a fantastic dark ride. Considering how big the film was in China, surely they could also share the development costs with Shanghai Disneyland?

fctiger

This sounds amazing! I like the original Jungle Cruise, but its always been too cheesy. Now they will have a real story and some new AAs and effects while keeping pretty much all the scenes. Sounds like a win-win!

TP2000

That’s a really interesting rundown! This is completely random but I do think you might possibly be missing on Asian male. Isn’t Constance’s third Husband, the Marquis, supposed to be Chinese? In his actual portrait his race is actually pretty ambiguous (Asian? Eastern European?) and they’re described in most official publications (which is almost never) as being “foreign” and some kind of “diplomat”. The military paraphernalia in his outfit and wedding gifts would also fit nicely in the timeline of the Second Opium War. The actual title of Marquis is actually the Chinese nobility form of the European Marquess- which I find to be the most definite evidence.

Wow! I think you are right. I had always just assumed that husband was Russian as my Doom Buggy glided by. I think it was the hat, it looked like a Russian army officer's hat to me for some reason.

But when you look at his face, he does look Asian. Mongolian or inland China is what I'm getting. Regardless, we'll count him as an Asian male. That Constance sure got around, didn't she? :cool:

So, thanks to CraftyFox's keen eye, we have this amended tally for Disneyland Park's 94 humans in attractions;

77 Are Males = 81%
17 Are Females = 19%

52 Are White = 55%
42 Are Non-White = 45%

43 Are White Males = 45%
19 Are Black Males = 23%
9 Are White Females = 9%
2 Are Asian Males = 2%

Last edited:

el_super

Disney posted to their blog, some additional information about Carmen Smith, the designer who is heading up both the Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain projects. Definitely indicating these projects are continuing and IMHO, headed in the right direction:

Among her responsibilities, Carmen, with the support of a team of highly respected cultural advisors from around the world, is involved in development of two upcoming Disney park attractions – the reimagining of Splash Mountain to a theme inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog” and enhancements coming to Jungle Cruise that build on the beloved story of the iconic attraction.
“We create experiences that make people feel welcomed, seen and heard, and let them know that their stories are important,” she shared when we got a chance to speak with her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom