Jungle Cruise Update

mickEblu

We don’t need to know, which is the point I was making. JD mentioned that the culture of the natives was now gone. But we all know there was no specific tribe from a specific country. There was no culture and therefore there’s no absence of culture, hence why the Natives being gone doesn’t mean much.

Ah I see. Maybe culture was the wrong word but I thought that their presence made for a more well rounded ride. I’m not crying about them being gone by any means but compared to the video I saw today I prefer the older version for a variety of reasons.

Californian Elitist

Ah I see. Maybe culture was the wrong word but I thought that their presence made for a more well rounded ride. I’m not crying about them being gone by any means but compared to the video I saw today I prefer the older version for a variety of reasons.
I haven’t watched any of the videos yet, so I’m not sure what it looks like now. I’m scared to watch any videos because I’m expecting to be disappointed.

I agree, I’m indifferent to the Natives. I didn’t object to them leaving nor staying. My biggest issue is this Alberta Falls BS and these backstories they keep making up. And weakening attraction experiences, but maybe I’ll be surprised with Jungle Cruise (doubt it though).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Better video of the ride I think, the boat scene is pretty great, the AA's are very fluid.

Now there is just a bunch of junk in the water when there wasn't before. Great. It makes the waterway feel very small now and just cluttered for no reason. The show took place on land now its in the water. Like uncomfortably close to the boat. Gone is the original charm and laughs. At least the elephants remained untouched. and the hippos . floating crates and monkeys everywhere. Wow. so progressive. So stunning. So brave. :rolleyes:. Also was that sunken boat by the hippos always there or is that new?

Sharon&Susan

@GrandCanyonConcourse since you found my post so humorous, I have to ask what reason is there for a ride to remain open while having both major and minor elements entirely disappear for months, visible construction, and the newly installed things remain unfinished for a while (as seen with MK Trader Sam's shop)?

Like I would kinda get it if it was just one scene like with the Hatbox Ghost which at least had a themed wall hiding it during installation, but it isn't. And obviously there's some construction that is simply unavoidable for guests to see like with an outdoor building being built/demolished in the center of EPCOT or Cars Land being built, but again this isn't the case.

George Lucas on a Bench

Cam's Sinking Boat Sequence reminds me of Universal's old Jaws ride.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

"There's something out there, I don't know what! Amity Base! Argh! Arrrghhh! Aaaaaaaaarrrggggggg!!!"

Sailor310

Could they have done animatronics of present day indigenous people from the Amazon with blow guns. Gotten the blessing of tribal leaders and the Brazilian government?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Could they have done animatronics of present day indigenous people from the Amazon with blow guns. Gotten the blessing of tribal leaders and the Brazilian government?
You're thinking too far outside the box.

It's much easier to just sub-in primates. A perfect analog to humans. No need for humans when we can have the next best thing! They're like humans - but not. Because they're animals! Doing human things! Cue the hilarious hi-jinks!

Sailor310

You're thinking too far outside the box.

It's much easier to just sub-in primates. No need for humans when we have the next best "unoffensive to humans" thing... primates! It's like humans but not! Because they're animals! Doing human things! Cue the hilarious hi-jinks!
I thought after I wrote that, that Brazilian-Americans might feel miss-represented and offended.:(

Little Green Men

@GrandCanyonConcourse since you found my post so humorous, I have to ask what reason is there for a ride to remain open while having both major and minor elements entirely disappear for months, visible construction, and the newly installed things remain unfinished for a while (as seen with MK Trader Sam's shop)?

Like I would kinda get it if it was just one scene like with the Hatbox Ghost which at least had a themed wall hiding it during installation, but it isn't. And obviously there's some construction that is simply unavoidable for guests to see like with an outdoor building being built/demolished in the center of EPCOT or Cars Land being built, but again this isn't the case.
Why close the ride when there’s still plenty of elements still going on and the ride is kitschy enough to make jokes about scenes like this:

I don’t see the issue 🤷🏻‍♂️

PiratesMansion

So Disney's sensitivity and inclusion procedure for this ride was to FORCIBLY remove all the natives?
Let's be honest, people would have attacked them no matter what they did. Remove them, update them, leave them as is.

I do think, for reasons already stated elsewhere in the thread, that the natives as depicted were a problem. But I'm thankful that I was not in charge of implementing the solution. A no-win situation.

mickEblu

Let's be honest, people would have attacked them no matter what they did. Remove them, update them, leave them as is.

I do think, for reasons already stated elsewhere in the thread, that the natives as depicted were a problem. But I'm thankful that I was not in charge of implementing the solution. A no-win situation.

I don’t think they were in a No win situation. I just think like the POTC auction scene, the replacements suck.

Sharon&Susan

Why close the ride when there’s still plenty of elements still going on
And there's plenty of rides that have closed for refurbishment for far less than major changes to four scenes + redecoration of the queue.
and the ride is kitschy enough to make jokes about scenes like this:
If the Jungle Cruise is kitschy enough where any and all suspension of disbelief is thrown out on us being in any type of real jungle environment like the example that you just showed, why are they putting so much effort towards giving this ride a backstory to engulf us more in the world of the Jungle Cruise.

I'd also imagine it'd be done far faster without having construction having to work around keeping the ride open. The Jungle Cruise was completely drained at DL to add the sinking boat scene, it'll be interesting to see how they install that scene at WDW without having to close the ride.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

And insensitive statues too
So progressive. Like when they made Lefou gay for one second at the very end of the Live action Beauty and the Beast movie, or when they had the first lesbian Star Wars kiss on screen and promoted the hell out of it but it was out of focus in the background by two characters no one cares about in Rise of Skywalker. Sooooooo progressive. "See? we're progressive. we have this stuff in there for one second. time to pat ourselves on our backs!" Passive Progressive. Progressive enough to make sure they get your money.

PiratesMansion

I don’t think they were in a No win situation. I just think like the POTC auction scene, the replacements suck.
That may be (haven't watched new POV yet), but I think it's also fair to say that Disney fans have a long history of reacting poorly to change. The way I see it, there are basically three possible reactions:

1. Keep scene as is-many purists happy, while others find figures problematic
2. Current scene or similar (no natives)-people complaining that there is now no native representation (some of whom seem to be clearly arguing in bad faith to me, but YMMV).
3. More accurate/sensitive native portrayal-people complain that the new scenes take them out of the ride and/or require excessive explanation introduced in Disney's no doubt more complicated new script.

To me one of those outcomes was basically assured.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The solution is there was nothing wrong with it in the first place and to leave it be.

mickEblu

That may be (haven't watched new POV yet), but I think it's also fair to say that Disney fans have a long history of reacting poorly to change. The way I see it, there are basically three possible reactions:

1. Keep scene as is-many purists happy, while others find figures problematic
2. Current scene or similar (no natives)-people complaining that there is now no native representation (some of whom seem to be clearly arguing in bad faith to me, but YMMV).
3. More accurate/sensitive native portrayal-people complain that the new scenes take them out of the ride and/or require excessive explanation introduced in Disney's no doubt more complicated new script.

To me one of those outcomes was basically assured.

How many changes do you think objectively are better as a whole than what they replaced? It seems that it’s one step forward and two steps back these days at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom