Jungle Cruise Update

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So I guess the joke now is 'Here we see Schweitzer Falls....named after the famous explorer Dr. Albert Falls...the guy who used to run these tours.'
That gag got regurgitated in Lego City Undercover. The video should start on that part.

britain

The thing about Jungle Cruise lore that’s always bothered me is how Disney’s taken the whole “humor” trope and overly emphasizes it.
The comedy side has always been presented in more of an ironic/ignorant viewpoint from the skipper — which clearly works. The scenes themselves aren’t necessarily funny, but the way in which the skipper interacts with it is what makes that funny tone work.
This redo just seems to force the comedic aspect in an overly obvious way. This is why I think the Jingle Cruise never worked too well. Hoping the end product isn’t too extreme as it’s been presented on the parks blog and such.

It's a careful balance, isn't it? Most of the comedy comes from a dry "We all know this is fake and kind of lame" understanding between the skipper and the guests. "That's something you don't see everyday. But I do. Again. And again. And again."

But it can't be TOO bitter (ie. "This ride sucks") because that would ruin the charming effect the ride has on children and the young-at-heart. Plus, Disney Corporate frankly doesn't want 'kind of lame' to be OFFICIALLY part of what makes the ride work. So we've seen an increase in various Jungle River Company backstories where they try to have it both ways: Disneyland isn't lame, but this touring company sure is!

As long as that stays in the background, that's fine. It's like a bit of Muppet-style, Happiness Hotel-esque humor. But if that's played too strongly, it might end up spoiling the careful chemistry of the show.

Sailor310

I was at Huntington Gardens the other day with my sister and b-in-law. When ever he saw bamboo, he would quote the Jungle Cruise skipper that made a big deal every time he saw.....bamboo! Say it with me, 'bamboo".

Trader Sam was owner and self proprietor of his own burgeoning business in the Jungle selling goods and wares to passing tourists. Disney shut down his business and he has now been demoted to running the lost and found desk under Ms. Falls' tour company... Being this change was done with political correctness forefront and center... Where's the outcry?
This has to be satire

MoonRakerSCM

I believe Ms Falls is part Indian, so it's a minority-owned business.
Intriguing, I did not realize this.

Something a friend brought up to me that's an interesting point... The new premise of this scene is that Trader Sam has been given a job... And is unhappy with the job and pay and has taken to lying and cheating his way around selling off items on the side? Disney seems to be implying questionable ethics and moral issues here...

Trader Sam was a proud reputable business owner... Now turned into a lying cheat with questionable ethics perhaps even criminal.

Who wants to write the change.org thing?

MoonRakerSCM

How much meta humor do you think the Princess and the Frog ride will have?
Oh god you just gave me horrible thoughts...

A disney parks blog release going on how Tiana visited Disneyland and loved Splash Mountain so much that she saved up enough money from her restaurant and bought it. But she almost broke the bank with the purchase and had to retheme it on the cheap for the time being!

Tiana plans to use the ride to break into 'fast food' by having people dine in the logs as they float trough the remodeled restaurant... But the remodeling has gone all wrong due to Louis' attempts to help!

(Every scene in the ride has table clothes covering everything and silverware strewn all about)

Man... This modern imagineering thing is easy!

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

Intriguing, I did not realize this.

Something a friend brought up to me that's an interesting point... The new premise of this scene is that Trader Sam has been given a job... And is unhappy with the job and pay and has taken to lying and cheating his way around selling off items on the side? Disney seems to be implying questionable ethics and moral issues here...

Trader Sam was a proud reputable business owner... Now turned into a lying cheat with questionable ethics perhaps even criminal.

Who wants to write the change.org thing?

You’re doing the MOST right now.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

"Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park may soon notice the latest updates coming to the Jungle Cruise as they come around that final bend. Trader Sam is charting a new adventure along the river at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Parks. Ever wonder what happened to that gramophone you accidentally left behind on the boat during your last adventure? How about that beloved pith helmet that went missing?

Word on the stream is that Alberta Falls, proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd., has entrusted her longtime friend, Trader Sam, to manage the new Lost & Found location. But, with Trader Sam being Trader Sam, there’s always an opportunity to make some extra money. After all, all the best rides end with a gift shop, right?

Take a look at this rendering of their newest venture together. Clearly, Sam is betting on an established reputation as the best merchant in the jungle! But, while he’s out lost and finding some new inventory, it’s the animals that get the last laugh!

jcts203948203498230492834234.jpg

The new scene is one of several that are interconnected and build on the original story and humor of the Jungle Cruise. As previously shared, our world-famous skippers will continue to present the unique adventure and interactions guests expect.
Once complete, guests will learn more about the events that led up to this final scene. Stay tuned, as enhancements debut later this year!"

When does the Jungle have a gift shop?? Da hell.....

BasiltheBatLord

I hate it because it reminds me of the POTC chicken auction fix for whatever reason. Half baked, dumb and born from political correctness.

The new on going park wide joke apparently is that people and Disney like to sell stuff. What a knee slapper! And yay more meta please!
What's even more depressing is that changes like these are going to last for generations.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

"Word on the stream is that Alberta Falls, proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd., has entrusted her longtime friend, Trader Sam, to manage the new Lost & Found location. But, with Trader Sam being Trader Sam, there’s always an opportunity to make some extra money. After all, all the best rides end with a gift shop, right? "

Come on now, that's great. Very funny.
No. Its the furthest thing from actually.

Brer Panther

Oh god you just gave me horrible thoughts...

A disney parks blog release going on how Tiana visited Disneyland and loved Splash Mountain so much that she saved up enough money from her restaurant and bought it. But she almost broke the bank with the purchase and had to retheme it on the cheap for the time being!

Tiana plans to use the ride to break into 'fast food' by having people dine in the logs as they float trough the remodeled restaurant... But the remodeling has gone all wrong due to Louis' attempts to help!

(Every scene in the ride has table clothes covering everything and silverware strewn all about)

Man... This modern imagineering thing is easy!
Just have video screens in the queue showing interviews with Tiana, Naveen, and Louis.

"So, Tiana, what do you think of your brand new ride?"
"Brand new? It's not brand new. It's just a rethemed Splash Mountain."
"Well, then what do you think of your rethemed Splash Mountain?"
"I'm upset. I liked Splash Mountain. You evicted our friends Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear just to sell more of that sparkly merchandise with my likeness on it."
"But Splash Mountain was racist!"
"No, Song of the South was. Splash Mountain wasn't. The ride and the movie were separate things!"
"And why is a ride taking place in New Orleans in Frontierland? Isn't that thematically inconsistent?"
When does the Jungle have a gift shop??
Animals are suckers for novelty t-shirts. Problem is, elephants have difficulty finding them in an Extra, Extra, Extra, Extra, Extra, Extra, Extra Large size.

MoonRakerSCM

Oh I'm chill as can be, just wondering where the outcry is... I'd figure people who championed this change would be all over the horrific reality of it now that it has been revealed.

MoonRakerSCM

Hey... yeah... I forgot about those great little things... where's the outcry over THOSE????

Man, themepark fans have to get goin' on this change.org stuff, SO many things to be upset about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom