Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think Tomorrowland actually needs less help. Space Mountain, CoP, and TTA are all solid. MILF and Buzz are out of place, but add capacity as of rn. Stitch needs a replacement. Tron seems like a good addition. 4 solid rides beats out Pirates Lite, Jungle Snooze, and the Tiki Room, along with that abomination of a spinner plopped right in the middle of the walkways.
If you think CoP, Space Mountain, and TTA are all solid, you haven't been over there in a while then. (This is only maintenance wise of course) They need desperate expensive help.

Horizons1

I’m guessing the people who are saying that they were not offended by this probably had no reason to be. It’s also not all about who’s offended and more about being a good role model to the public they are entertaining. I’m sure if the rivers of America at Tokyo Disney featured a 600 lb AudioAnimatronic man trying to sell you a corn dog and 7-11 big gulp some people would not appreciate it, even though the local audience may not find it offensive.
Who cares though? If they wanted this obese animatronic out on a river let them. Some people may not like it but that doesn’t mean they have to get it removed.

Brer Oswald

If you think CoP, Space Mountain, and TTA are all solid, you haven't been over there in a while then. (This is only maintenance wise of course) They need desperate expensive help.
Went there in 2019. All fine. I think Disney fans exaggerate how much maintenance an attraction needs. Although it definitely could help improve things.

castlecake2.0

Who cares though? If they wanted this obese animatronic out on a river let them. Some people may not like it but that doesn’t mean they have to get it removed.
You can say the same for the removal of trader Sam, Disney decided they didn’t want to have it in their attraction anymore, “some people may not like it but it doesn’t mean they have to keep it”.

Disone

I’m guessing the people who are saying that they were not offended by this probably had no reason to be. It’s also not all about who’s offended and more about being a good role model to the public they are entertaining. I’m sure if the rivers of America at Tokyo Disney featured a 600 lb AudioAnimatronic man trying to sell you a corn dog and 7-11 big gulp some people would not appreciate it, even though the local audience may not find it offensive.
Is that a thing though? No one really thinks of Americans as a 600-pound man selling corn dogs. Maybe a 600-pound man eating corn dogs but definitely not selling them. :)

This reminds me of El Rio de Tempo at Epcot when they took out the Mexican market salesmen. They would follow your boat from screen to screen trying to pitch some goods at you. Of course your boat just kept going but they kept their sales pitch just in case they could change your mind. Apparently somewhere along the way someone decided that was offensive because yes it's a stereotype. I just don't know that it's a particularly offensive stereotype. To this day when I go to Mexico... Say Cozumel, and I walked the streets I'll inevitably get a sales pitch for something. I'm not offended by it. I kind of expect it to happen. I almost want it to happen. But always perplexed me that they remove that from the ride and for much of the same reason Trader Sam might be a stereotype I'm also perplexed as to why he was removed. I don't know that he was offensive.

I'm probably just not woke enough or my skin is too thick or a good mix of both.

GladToBeHear

Is that a thing though? No one really thinks of Americans as a 600-pound man selling corn dogs. Maybe a 600-pound man eating corn dogs but definitely not selling them. :)

This reminds me of El Rio de Tempo at Epcot when they took out the Mexican market salesmen. They would follow your boat from screen to screen trying to pitch some goods at you. Of course your boat just kept going but they kept their sales pitch just in case they could change your mind. Apparently somewhere along the way someone decided that was offensive because yes it's a stereotype. I just don't know that it's a particularly offensive stereotype. To this day when I go to Mexico... Say Cozumel, and I walked the streets I'll inevitably get a sales pitch for something. I'm not offended by it. I kind of expect it to happen. I almost want it to happen. But always perplexed me that they remove that from the ride and for much of the same reason Trader Sam might be a stereotype I'm also perplexed as to why he was removed. I don't know that he was offensive.

I'm probably just not woke enough or my skin is too thick or a good mix of both.
This is because "racism" has been misconstrued into anything that has to do with race or culture. Which is not what racism is.

Brer Oswald

639650DA-40C8-446E-B4EF-58AD3A76EE99.jpeg
F1334E86-533E-4C76-916E-DB7166E2A0AE.jpeg

Interesting. “Trader Sam” may not even be “Trader Sam” after all.

0A2DB15D-75A7-4C31-819A-832D567F51EB.png

He’s still Trader Sam though.

castlecake2.0

I remember that scene as well, and it may not be offensive to you as an (I’m assuming) American, it may not be how Disney wants it guests from Mexico to see themselves presented. I worked for a cruise line, and like you said, you got these types of people at every port, but if you walked a couple of blocks past the port area you could see the “real” place and culture you were in. I also worked at Epcot, and I can tell you that my roommate from Mexico was very happy with the update; “of course we have people like that at home, but that doesn’t mean it has to be in our boat ride”.

It could be argued that O’Canada was one of the first cultural sensitivity changes back in 2007. I’m sure no American was offended by the stereotypes presented in the film, but guests from Canada were not thrilled, enough so that the government eventually became involved for an update.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

People who live in Mexico don't experience the U.S. tourist version of Mexico. Thus, it's not a very good presentation of Mexican culture.

Remember, EPCOT's supposed to educate, not reinforce the American-abroad tourist trap experience.

doctornick

It could be argued that O’Canada was one of the first cultural sensitivity changes back in 2007. I’m sure no American was offended by the stereotypes presented in the film, but guests from Canada were not thrilled, enough so that the government eventually became involved for an update.

Can you expand on this? I don't remember details of it to know what might have been offensive

Sharon&Susan

View attachment 545553View attachment 545554
Interesting. “Trader Sam” may not even be “Trader Sam” after all.

View attachment 545555
He’s still Trader Sam though.
Chief Namee was a name made up by WDW CMs for the Trader fellow because in the script that they initially gave to the Skippers he was called Chief (Name). Eventually it was done away in the 90's when they unified the scripts of both US Parks JC.

Guess they brought it back for Skipper's Canteen because the two Traders look nothing alike making no sense from a world building perspective.

castlecake2.0

Can you expand on this? I don't remember details of it to know what might have been offensive
Long story short, the movie featured a lot of outdated scenes with non Canadian narrators trying to imitate Canadian accents. While offensive may not be the right word, Canadians didn’t find the film to be the most accurate anymore as it was really pushing the Bob and Doug Mackenzie stereotypes. It eventually made its way into the newspapers and eventually the Canadian Tourism Commission joined in and gave funding to Disney to help update the movie. If you Google “Toronto Star Epcot Canada” the article should come up.

^^^ please see above

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Went there in 2019. All fine. I think Disney fans exaggerate how much maintenance an attraction needs. Although it definitely could help improve things.
lol nooooo my dude... I rode it last August and the background music was totally lost on an entire scene and it had apparently been that way for quite a while without being fixed! Literally singing "great big beautiful tomorrow" to no music.

On top of that, AA stiffness, platform creaks, unbalanced audio in other locations... It's bad.

(Has the audio issue been fixed yet?)

Brer Oswald

Chief Namee was a name made up by WDW CMs for the Trader fellow because in the script that they initially gave to the Skippers he was called Chief (Name). Eventually it was done away in the 90's when they unified the scripts of both US Parks JC.

Guess they brought it back for Skipper's Canteen because the two Traders look nothing alike making no sense from a world building perspective.
With that, I think I’ll take back the “ambiguous ethnicity” assessment. Seems to be a indigenous caricature. But that’s where things get a little tricky. Is it bad that he is a caricature. We aren’t dealing with the Peter Pan chief, with the bright red skin, the inaccurate song, the big nose. This is more or less just cartoonified human.

Again, I think the issue more or less lies with the shrunken heads and his “profession” than the appearance of the AA itself. I think a costume alteration, a proper name change, and a change of wares would do the most good, but that’s just me.

Sir_Cliff

Florida’s Sam is a cartoony man with tanned skin, long hair, and a top hat. His background is ambiguous and irrelevant.

The issue I see is the shrunken heads and the profession. And with that, the $15 drink that pokes fun of it is also a problem.
I think it was the imagery of the humorous 'native' that was the issue with Florida's Sam. I always assumed he was supposed to be South American from the hat & from having seen shrunken heads in Ecuador where I know this was practiced, though I don't know if it was also practiced historically elsewhere.

As for Trader Sam's, I don't think we need to take a "cut off your nose to spite your face" attitude and demand they change everything if they're going to change anything. Surely we can be happy if they take a reasoned and selective approach to updating attractions whether we agree with each decision rather than demanding they take a blowtorch to anything that can be read as problematic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom