Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Brer Panther

I'm just gonna repost here what I already posted in another thread...

Honestly, removing the natives makes more sense to me than retheming Splash Mountain. There's nothing actually racist about Splash Mountain, the argument that it's racist stems from the fact that it features characters and songs from a movie that has racist/problematic elements, none of which are actually in the ride. The natives... yeah, I'm not sure if anyone actually IS offended by 'em, but I can see why folks WOULD find them offensive.
the lions eating the zebras
Eating the zebra? The lions aren't eating the zebra, they're just protecting it while it's sleeping.
Okay, nothing with apes has ever been bad.
This movie would like to have a word with you...

1611626606022.png

Funny how Disney seems to have no problem allocating money during the pandemic towards re theming of existing and popular attractions but they have to slash things like the Epcot overhaul because of the financial presure Covid has put on the Parks. I want my Yeti fix dang it.
Isn't there a rumor flying around that the EPCOT overhaul etc got slashed to pay for the Splash Mountain retheme?
Gee, how many more racist attractions are there?
Let's see... the American Adventure, Country Bear Jamboree, the Enchanted Tiki Room, the Hall of Presidents, Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World, Dumbo the Flying Elephant... I think I've heard all of those attractions get dubbed racist.

And there are some who think Sebastian the Crab is an offensive stereotype, so I guess we can add the Little Mermaid ride to the list too.

Oh, and there are also some who think Aladdin is offensive towards Arabs, so we could also add the Magic Carpets of Aladdin.
And he could still be called "Trader Sam" and not be another native.
Maybe he could be PIN Trader Sam!

(Pin traders are still a thing, right?)

asianway

I'm just gonna repost here what I already posted in another thread...

Honestly, removing the natives makes more sense to me than retheming Splash Mountain. There's nothing actually racist about Splash Mountain, the argument that it's racist stems from the fact that it features characters and songs from a movie that has racist/problematic elements, none of which are actually in the ride. The natives... yeah, I'm not sure if anyone actually IS offended by 'em, but I can see why folks WOULD find them offensive.

Eating the zebra? The lions aren't eating the zebra, they're just protecting it while it's sleeping.

This movie would like to have a word with you...

Isn't there a rumor flying around that the EPCOT overhaul etc got slashed to pay for the Splash Mountain retheme?

Let's see... the American Adventure, Country Bear Jamboree, the Enchanted Tiki Room, the Hall of Presidents, Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World, Dumbo the Flying Elephant... I think I've heard all of those attractions get dubbed racist.

And there are some who think Sebastian the Crab is an offensive stereotype, so I guess we can add the Little Mermaid ride to the list too.

Oh, and there are also some who think Aladdin is offensive towards Arabs, so we could also add the Magic Carpets of Aladdin.

Maybe he could be PIN Trader Sam!

(Pin traders are still a thing, right?)
Ever watch Al Jolson?

Skywise

It seems to me you could update Trader Sam as a voodoo shaman - thus leaving the bar name/character link intact. It's not like Disney doesn't have a modern version of this as they used Dr. Facilier in the Princess and the Frog and THAT could also tie into the Splash Mountain redo.

JustInTime

It seems to me you could update Trader Sam as a voodoo shaman - thus leaving the bar name/character link intact. It's not like Disney doesn't have a modern version of this as they used Dr. Facilier in the Princess and the Frog and THAT could also tie into the Splash Mountain redo.
Maybe but the Disneyland version has to go.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Isn't the new guy on the bottom of the pole wearing a life preserver and a pith helmet?
You mean that guy that looks like a dead ringer for Dr. Albert Falls? An S.E.A. AA! Hmm, Could be.

The storyline seemingly involves the S.E.A. expedition team (lead by Dr. Falls?) being marooned in the jungle after having their boat ransacked by curious chimpanzees. By that logic, the chimp scene would establish the S.E.A. plot. The characters' traits/backstories are then showcased at key moments thoughout the attraction either verbally (new script spiel) or as a scene additions.

The biggest unknown is the ride's ending. Does S.E.A. make it out OK? Are they rescued by a jungle native? (Sam?) I think WDI is leaving out this final puzzle piece to be revealed later.

Last edited:

doctornick

There’s nothing intrinsically racist about MK’s Sam (I don’t think) in terms of his appearance- he’s cartoony and not really characteristic of any particular race/culture. The most “problematic” thing about him is collecting shrunken heads which can be construed as belittling or mocking other cultures I suppose, but by being played as a joke softens (it’s almost making fun of the guests riding more). Perhaps using the same figure but changing the props might make it more inclusive.

it’s different than the “natives” who are portrayed as backwards or primitive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom