Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

celluloid

If the skippers would, frankly, stop complaining about it and go to a union meeting... maybe there could be discussions.
The KJS cast at DAK get more pay because they went to union meets all in a giant group and got it done.
Jungle kids need to do the same.

Funny, Universal pays Preshow people of fast and the Furious a Spiel Pay Rate, never.took a single Union meeting for that, Jaws or any other. If a Union gets that to increase, the problem of the company does not change. Something else, maybe even in the staffing of the same attraction will be cut.

geekza

And that's on top of the Disney World "unions" being figurehead JOKES. There aren't "unions" at WDW in the traditional sense, they'd just really like you to think there were. The union is so weak at WDW that it may as well not exist.
That's because Florida is a "Right to Work" state. The only way unions work is if enough people join them. If people are desperate for work, they'll often take jobs with no benefits and low pay because they have to live somehow. By removing the ability for Unions to require membership, companies are able to do pretty much anything they want to their workers and, even if you wanted to join the union, the companies make sure that your pay is so low that it would be a financial hardship to do so. The workers didn't write those laws, believe me.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Unfortunately, companies like Disney and Amazon do everything possible to discourage joining a union. So much misinformation has been spread about how unions are corrupt and lazy that most people forget that trade unions are the reason why we had a 40-hour work week, health benefits, safety regulations, etc. Even in WV, where I'm from and where there was a literal war for the right to organize, many people have bought into the idea that unions are bad. They aren't. They're necessary in order to prevent wholesale exploitation of workers.

Without going political, labor unions have a place, but that place is much more narrow than in decades past. As an example - An airline I used to work for has exactly one union and they're flying along (pun intended) just fine. But it sounds like Disney would be a place where they could be helpful to the workers instead of a bane.

MagicJack78

Wish they could add a little excitement to it in the form of a drop or two or convert it to a raft sort of ride. That would be awesome but probably impossible.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

All I'm sayin' is they missed a great opportunity by not putting one of the 20KLUtS submarines in the ride somewhere...
In... The jungle?

Ah, I forgot about the great adventures of captain nemo down the Egyptian Nile, or possibly up the Rivers of the Amazon.

The Nautilus is world-renowned for its massive scale while simultaneously being able to navigate shallow tropical rivers.

geekza

In... The jungle?

Ah, I forgot about the great adventures of captain nemo down the Egyptian Nile, or possibly up the Rivers of the Amazon.

The Nautilus is world-renowned for its massive scale while simultaneously being able to navigate shallow tropical rivers.
I mean, he took the Nautilus everywhere. Stevenson's novel, The Mysterious Island, was a follow-up to 20,000 Leagues and had Nemo and the Nautilus in the South Seas. It's a stretch, sure. You're right about rivers not really being the kind of place one usually finds large submarines. :) WE JUST MISS THE 20K RIDE, DANG IT!

GlacierGlacier

I mean, he took the Nautilus everywhere. Stevenson's novel, The Mysterious Island, was a follow-up to 20,000 Leagues and had Nemo and the Nautilus in the South Seas. It's a stretch, sure. You're right about rivers not really being the kind of place one usually finds large submarines. :) WE JUST MISS THE 20K RIDE, DANG IT!
I understand.

But it's the Jungle Cruise, not the backlot tour :p

geekza

So, on Jim Hill and Len Testa's latest podcast, Jim said that there are plans in place to add new scenes to the Jungle Cruise featuring characters, etc. from the upcoming movie. This all depends, of course, on whether or not the film is a success, but he says that they have already done a lot of prep work, including using designs created for an abandoned update from the 1990's that would have tied in with George of the Jungle. This being from Hill, it's definitely in the "rumor" category, so take that for what it's worth.

Personally, I still hate the Pirates film characters being retrofitted into the ride as it never really fit and, in my opinion, took away from the original attraction's charm. I know that lots of folks here are of the opinion that JC needs something done to it, so this may be it. With Iger and Chapek's mandate that any new additions be IP-based, it would certainly fit with their modus operandi of late.

I'm going to go out on my porch and yell at kids for a while.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
With all due respect, any "rumor" from Mr. Hill is taken by yours truly with a massive grain of SALT. And the Iger/Chapek IP love-fest gets a steel-toed BOOT in its swimsuit area. :mad:

If changed, it's more proof that they have no idea how to properly do themed rides. JC is about the scenes and campy humor and skippers, not the AA animals. But they can't see a forest for the trees...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom