Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Bairstow

I am 100% on board with this.
Even if it's old and beloved, the Jungle Cruise has never been an attraction masterpiece on the same level as Mansion or Pirates, and I think that a lot of our enjoyment of the ride has always come from the performance talents of the skippers, as much, if not more than the Marc Davis gags.
There's a ton of fun stuff they could do with the concept and space.

Is there any good footage out there of the original Disneyland version where there were no gags and the whole ride was played completely straight?

Edit: found some. Really nice footage, too. The camera angles used here makes the ride look huge.

Last edited:

Kman101

I don't want a serious Jungle Cruise. No thank you. I like it as is. I'm being that guy. Let's be real, they aren't going to totally re-do the ride. They'll add The Rock and a few updates and call it a day. And WDW will be years behind Disneyland no doubt.

They can't even seem to settle on what to do with a lot of rumored things now. And money always gets shifted ...

MarkTwain

Hasn't this project been in development hell for, what, a decade? At this point, I'll believe the movie when I see it. Remember when it was set to be released starring Tim Allen and Tom Hanks?

The only way that Jungle Cruise can truly be ruined is if they eliminate the ability for the Skippers to adlib their scripts.

Skippers haven't been allowed to ad lib for years now, unfortunately. You might still get the occasional skipper willing to risk some disciplinary action, but they're becoming few and far between.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Jennifer Tilly said the same thing when the Haunted Mansion movie came out that she'd be replacing Toombs/Audley. An actor can be just as unreliable as a bus driver.

And while movie additions wouldn't surprise me, I can't imagine a total overhaul. Maybe a replacement of the headhunting tribe with some new movie-inspired setpiece and putting a Skipper Dwayne figure there, but otherwise leaving the rest be.
Kind of like Dinosaur. But not to the extent of Pirates probably.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Hasn't this project been in development hell for, what, a decade? At this point, I'll believe the movie when I see it. Remember when it was set to be released starring Tim Allen and Tom Hanks?

Skippers haven't been allowed to ad lib for years now, unfortunately. You might still get the occasional skipper willing to risk some disciplinary action, but they're becoming few and far between.

And with that inability to ad lib, goes half of the reason that ride was so great. The last ride I took on the jungle cruise - the skipper was so bad. She clearly didn't want to be there, you could barely hear her, and there was just no heart in it.

HairyChest

ive dreamed of jungle cruise not having any talking, just some wonderful music from the same era it is set in like the queue. it would be such a relaxin and otherworldly experience.

PizzaPlanet

Last month I had the best Jungle Cruise skipper, and he was definitely ad libbing. His jokes never stopped from the second we got on the boat to the moment we got off. He really made the experience for my friends who were first time riders.

FoozieBear

Wouldn't they want to make sure that the movie is successful before they jump the gun and remodel the entire attraction? Sure, Pirates worked out well for them, but if they jumped the gun for The Country Bears and Haunted Mansion things would have looked pretty bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom