Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Casper Gutman

I'm totally with adding things to attractions if it fits and actually pluses it. I think the new retheme actually does all that.
I think that removing some of the more outdated, offensive elements is very positive and necessary.

HOWEVER...

The replacements for these removed elements are underwhelming. Specifically, they are repetitive and safe, We are getting two new "mischievous primates play with things" scenes - the gift shop and crashed ship - to add to the gorillas in the camp. Even worse, the multiple crashed ship and gift shop gags remove any sense of exoticness, isolation, and danger. This is a well-travelled little river.

The real problem is that the great, old attractions (JC, POC, HM, even CBJ) relied on dark humor of a sort that modern Disney would never allow. Death and violence were always lurking just around the corner. Heck, Pirates and the Mansion positively gloried in mortality. Drunkenness', greed, and other vices were obvious and the focus of much humor. There was an edge to the attractions that belied the squeaky-clean stereotype of Disney, a grim humor that helped elevate the rides above those found at local amusement parks. (Incidentally, this is also something the POC movies captured that gave them an appealing, 80s-adventure-film vibe and helped them feel linked to the attraction that inspired them.)

Some of these comedic elements reflected outdated views and needed to be removed. But what is replacing them lacks any edge, embodying the sickly-sweet, non-threatening image of Disney that people unfamiliar with the parks always held of them. This is exemplified by the cloying focus on the SEA. It's a Saturday morning version of the lamented Adventurers Club, bereft of any bite. Its an attempt to create an overarching mythology of the type that drives modern pop-culture, an MCU for the parks, that succeeds only in giving the Cruise that toothless, banal, colorless tone I'm lamenting.

The animators who created the JC left behind a lot of sketches for gags in the same vein as those that once populated the ride. The carnivorous plants in the backpack of one of the explorers trapped on the pole seems to gesture towards one of these gags. Why not create a carnivorous plant scene instead of a miniscule Easter egg? Why not try to capture the spirit of the original art?

Last edited:

Bocabear

Banal is the perfect word...I would add "uninspired" and "Joyless"...
There are many things they could do as expressed by Casper... The Temple itself NEEDS something earth shattering and wonderful... The original version of this ride did not depend on the wisecracks of the Skippers to make it work... That came out of necessity when everyone had seen the gags a million times and nothing ever changed... Would be nice to have a mix of Schtick with a couple WOW moments along the river.

Parker in NYC

There are many things they could do as expressed by Casper... The Temple itself NEEDS something earth shattering and wonderful... The original version of this ride did not depend on the wisecracks of the Skippers to make it work... That came out of necessity when everyone had seen the gags a million times and nothing ever changed... Would be nice to have a mix of Schtick with a couple WOW moments along the river.
I love the temple. Sometimes simple is better. Besides, it's always been a nice sort of intermission between acts.

LittleBuford

But you’re saying something different: others are criticising the recent changes, whereas you’re calling even the original components uninspired.

Bocabear

No I am not... The original elements were very inspired for their time...A few real iconic moments... and then, over time, they ceased to be as exciting to see...they were not Banal from the start like these new additions are.

dsinclair

But you’re saying something different: others are criticising the recent changes, whereas you’re calling even the original components uninspired.
There is literally no satisfying a lot of people on this board. Disney is keeping the same gags just removing/adjusting out offensive imagery so as to keep the ride as classic and unchanged as possible. That gets a response of lazy, uninspired, joyless.

BUT, if they had ripped out the scenes and wholesale put completely new ones in Disney would be getting ripped for ruining a classic, and not just making minor tweaks.🙄

GimpYancIent

I think that removing some of the more outdated, offensive elements is very positive and necessary.

HOWEVER...

The replacements for these removed elements are underwhelming. Specifically, they are repetitive and safe, We are getting two new "mischievous primates play with things" scenes - the gift shop and crashed ship - to add to the gorillas in the camp. Even worse, the multiple crashed ship and gift shop gags remove any sense of exoticness, isolation, and danger. This is a well-travelled little river.

The real problem is that the great, old attractions (JC, POC, HM, even CBJ) relied on dark humor of a sort that modern Disney would never allow. Death and violence were always lurking just around the corner. Heck, Pirates and the Mansion positively gloried in mortality. Drunkenness', greed, and other vices were obvious and the focus of much humor. There was an edge to the attractions that belied the squeaky-clean stereotype of Disney, a grim humor that helped elevate the rides above those found at local amusement parks. (Incidentally, this is also something the POC movies captured that gave them an appealing, 80s-adventure-film vibe and helped them feel linked to the attraction that inspired them.)

Some of these comedic elements reflected outdated views and needed to be removed. But what is replacing them lacks any edge, embodying the sickly-sweet, non-threatening image of Disney that people unfamiliar with the parks always held of them. This is exemplified by the cloying focus on the SEA. It's a Saturday morning version of the lamented Adventurers Club, bereft of any bite. Its an attempt to create an overarching mythology of the type that drives modern pop-culture, an MCU for the parks, that succeeds only in giving the Cruise that toothless, banal, colorless tone I'm lamenting.

The animators who created the JC left behind a lot of sketches for gags in the same vein as those that once populated the ride. The carnivorous plants in the backpack of one of the explorers trapped on the pole seems to gesture towards one of these gags. Why not create a carnivorous plant scene instead of a miniscule Easter egg? Why not try to capture the spirit of the original art?
It seems there is a deep desire to give JC more edge. I like the "carnivorous plant scene" idea as it would give opportunity to return the skulls and bones to be strewn about around the hungry plants. A raging silver back gorilla reaching for the guests in the boat as the boat enters the temple. Traversing a disturbed (feeding frenzy) school of piranha. An angry band of mandrills (no not the sisters) fangs bared because the boat full of guests has disturbed them. Then there is the cape hunting dog pack snarling at the passing boat of guests (their coats are colorful and their ears are shaped like mickey ears). Just throwing a few things out there! Or The Disney imaginEars can keep going as they are, I for one am curious to see what is dreamed up.

Bocabear

There is literally no satisfying a lot of people on this board. Disney is keeping the same gags just removing/adjusting out offensive imagery so as to keep the ride as classic and unchanged as possible. That gets a response of lazy, uninspired, joyless.

BUT, if they had ripped out the scenes and wholesale put completely new ones in Disney would be getting ripped for ruining a classic, and not just making minor tweaks.🙄
But they are ripping out scenes and wholesale putting in new ones... The gags are completely different.... The Rhino scene is a re-cast of the original characters... the other scenes are new... not minor tweaks.

dsinclair

But they are ripping out scenes and wholesale putting in new ones... The gags are completely different.... The Rhino scene is a re-cast of the original characters... the other scenes are new... not minor tweaks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only new scene so far is the sunken boat (and that is actually modifying the hippo scene so I'm not sure that truly counts as a new scene). The rhino scene, boats & bait, and trader same are all tweaks of original scenes.

Bocabear

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only new scene so far is the sunken boat (and that is actually modifying the hippo scene so I'm not sure that truly counts as a new scene). The rhino scene, boats & bait, and trader same are all tweaks of original scenes.
Boats and Bait is a new scene as is Trader Sam... Completely new thought... If you consider adding a sunken boat to the Hippos a new scene, then these others are new scenes as well...Actually the Hippo scene with it's addition is the least new of all ... It is also the best addition we have scene to this point...it actually add a layer of danger. The Rhino scene is exactly the same with different people. The other two...a gift shop and a snack stand...meh.

Last edited:

Stupido

I still don't have a problem with them taking out the problematic stuff. I just wish it didn't involve nothing but apes. Primates do not automatically equal funny, Disney.
I haven't seen one ape yet. Sure they were all over the concept art, but in the concept art the monkeys seems to be responsible for the sinking boat, in the ride it's hippos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom