June Bugs

kdjf4

In upstate New York our species of June bugs are a shiny dark brown beetle approx. 1 1/4 -1 3/4 2-3 cm from head to tail, and 3/4 -1 inxh across the widest part of their body. They appear in late May and are usually gone by the end of June. They don't appear to do any real damage and seem to scare people because of their size and the noises they sometimes make. I have never seen anything similar at WDW.

lac628

We have tons of June bugs in Pittsburgh - but I've never seen any in Disney, at any time of the year. The love bugs are there when we go in March, and in the last week of July, every year. They seem to be worse in the summer, and mainly bother us at our hotel, not at the parks. You should be fine :)

Hmm, I don't ever remember them being a problem in March. They have actually started coming. I saw some yesterday and today. They were single fliers though, so they haven't started mating. For those that don't know, they are always flying around with their mate tagging along attached to their rear.
yeah, they are harmless, just annoying. They ruin your car's paint job and smell terrible when trying to wash them off your grill!

elizs77

It's a small beetle: click here

These are love bugs: click here

The June Bug pic in the Wikipedia article is kind of the general bug for that genus, not the individual species. An actual June Bug is more green like in my earlier pic. Here's another:

June bugs are harmless to people as well. I know this is totally redneck but being from the south, I must tell you that you can tie dental floss to the leg of June Bug and fly it around. :lookaroun Sorry, I had to tell you.

I concur. I've never actually done it, just heard tons of people talk about doing this. And there's also the thing where you take the light off the lightning bug and it will still glow. That's gross, but again, I've seen it done plenty.

sublimesting

bug_swarm.jpg

Is this what Disney looks like under a june bug invasion?

WDWmom64055

The June Bug pic in the Wikipedia article is kind of the general bug for that genus, not the individual species. An actual June Bug is more green like in my earlier pic. Here's another:

I concur. I've never actually done it, just heard tons of people talk about doing this. And there's also the thing where you take the light off the lightning bug and it will still glow. That's gross, but again, I've seen it done plenty.

Yep, they're actually kind of pretty if you don't mind them landing in your hair, etc. They're big in MO and eastern KS. If you leave a porch light on they'll cover the wall around it.

Other than the hair issue, which I'm sure they dislike as much as we do, they're pretty benign. Green, gold, even blue...but bugs all the same!

mro415

its not the june bugs to worry about

its the LOVE BUGS!

the two bugs that are joined and are all over everything from may until sometime in june and then they come back in september..

They hatee the shade so dont expect to see them on a cloudy day.. but when its sunny sometimes you cant even sit near the pool!

teebin

Well, it seems people from different parts of the country call different species of these beetles (Phyllophaga) "June Bugs". I have never seen an irridesent green "June Bug". The "June Bugs" in northern New England are large 1"-1 1/4" and BLACK. The "June Bugs" in Florida are small, 1/2" and Brown and no I have not seen any "June Bugs" here... yet, a few miles from WDW. The Florida species most resemble that shown on Wikipedia.

And I yet I never knew they were in the same family as the Egyptian Scarab Beetle. I wonder how you say "June Bug" in Arabic or Coptic. :eek:)

elizs77

Was just reading Anita Answer's post on allearsnet.com, and I found the below Q&A from today. Hmmmm.... Makes me wonder if Anita got an idea here! (And by the way, Elizabeth isn't this Elizabeth).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Elizabeth writes: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We visited Walt Disney World at the end of September 2006 and were surrounded by little flying bugs which we found out were called "Love Bugs." We were also told they tend to come out one or two times a year in Florida. Although they weren't harmful in any way, they were extremely annoying and we were wondering if there was a specific time frame that they tend to swarm because we would love to go back at that time of the year again. Thanks for your help![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Elizabeth! [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Love Bugs (Plecia Nearctica) are commonly found all along the Gulf Coast of the United States and northward on the Atlantic coast from Florida to South Carolina. Love Bugs have two "flights" a year, one spanning April and May, and one spanning August and September. The flights generally last for four to five weeks, and the number of bugs varies year to year, dependent on certain weather conditions and the presence of natural predators. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adult bugs have no natural predators because they don't taste good (not that I know this personally...) but their larvae are apparently quite a treat for birds and other insects, and armadillos like them too. If natural predators are around in abundance during the Love Bugs' larval stage, then the flights may not be as dense. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Love Bugs themselves aren't dangerous, as they don't bite or sting. They can be a huge annoyance, however, when they appear in large numbers and can seem to be everywhere, plus their acidic bodies can cause damage to automobile paint jobs if dead bugs are not washed off immediately. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are a couple of things you can do to keep them at bay: First, wear dark clothing, as they're attracted to light, bright colors. This is counter-intuitive during times of hot weather, but you'll have to choose between being cooler or being annoyed by Love Bugs. I personally would rather deal with the annoyance of the bugs than Florida heat. The other thing you can do is visit the parks after dusk. Love Bugs don't fly after the sun goes down. This, of course, will severely limit your park time. Once again, I'd choose the annoying bugs over staying out of the parks. Even if you don't want to take those steps, the good news is you still have eight other Love Bug-free months to visit the World. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A.A.[/FONT]

automagic

Ohhhhhhhh, they're starting:fork:

Yep. The invasion has begun. I drove through a small swarm of them while I was heading to Typhoon Lagoon yesterday. They were also in Lakeland and Winter Haven too. Let the fun begin.

I wonder who will be the first this year to swallow a pair of those lovely bugs racing down Splash Mountain screaming with their mouth wide open? :hurl: Thank goodness the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster is indoors.

OilSlinger822

June bugs are harmless to people as well. I know this is totally redneck but being from the south, I must tell you that you can tie dental floss to the leg of June Bug and fly it around. :lookaroun Sorry, I had to tell you.

bahaha..sorry i just read this, and being from the south too, i've done it a million times.... but i work on a farm and always used horse hair:p:lol:...i dunno, is it a southern thing?

NewfieFan

Yep. The invasion has begun. I drove through a small swarm of them while I was heading to Typhoon Lagoon yesterday. They were also in Lakeland and Winter Haven too. Let the fun begin.

I wonder who will be the first this year to swallow a pair of those lovely bugs racing down Splash Mountain screaming with their mouth wide open? :hurl: Thank goodness the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster is indoors.

Ok, that's just gross! No screaming for me when I'm there in Sept.!!!

And for the record, I'm a big wuss when it comes to bugs - I hate them all! Are these love bugs really big? I know they don't sting but I'll still be afraid of them. Oh dear, I hope they're not that bad in Sept.!

lac628

Here are some love bug pictures,

here is a single love bug...
250px-Lovebug1.jpg

here is one with it's mate (the way you will usually see them)...
Love-bugs-7265621.jpg

here is a Disney bus stop covered in thme in Sept. 2006...
300px-Swarmoflovebugs1.jpg

and here is a bus covered in them...
bilde1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom