June 3 -6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowanfamily

Original Poster
I will be arriving at WDW June 3 and staying through the 12th. I've recently found out that the 3rd through the 6th is Orlando Gay Days. I've been told to avoid the MK on Sat the 5th. Does anyone know what the other parks are like during this time period.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The other parks will be fine, as actually will MK. You'll see a lot of people wearing red shirts, but they're neither obnoxious or displaying overt amounts of PDA. There's a web site that can give you the calendar of events, I believe....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just go to gaydays.com, check out the schedule, and avoid the parks on the schedule. This is not because the participants will be causing any problems, my repeated personal experience has been that the participants of this event are some of the nicest well mannered people you will run into at WDW, but because those parks will be packed on those days.

smk

Just go to gaydays.com, check out the schedule, and avoid the parks on the schedule. This is not because the participants will be causing any problems, my repeated personal experience has been that the participants of this event are some of the nicest well mannered people you will run into at WDW, but because those parks will be packed on those days.
Ditto. No PDA's, just lots of crowds of happy people.

HS0411

I will be arriving at WDW June 3 and staying through the 12th. I've recently found out that the 3rd through the 6th is Orlando Gay Days. I've been told to avoid the MK on Sat the 5th. Does anyone know what the other parks are like during this time period.

I never even realized they were going on the first year I was working there. All I did was drive around FW doing my job, and couldn't figure out for the life of me why everybody decided to use rainbows to decorate their campsites. :lol:

Have fun and don't sweat it. And avoid wearing red!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I never even realized they were going on the first year I was working there. All I did was drive around FW doing my job, and couldn't figure out for the life of me why everybody decided to use rainbows to decorate their campsites. :lol:

Have fun and don't sweat it. And avoid wearing red!
Back in the day when the AC was open the wife and I frequently made solo trips to WDW during that weekend. The last time we went she packed nothing but red shirts for me.:drevil:

wdwwdeagle

Okay, I feel really naive asking this question....but here goes....

We may end up being in the World at the start of gay days this year, and I had thought it would be a nice idea for all of us to wear a red shirt, just in support of the gay community. We try to teach our kids acceptance, and I had thought it would be a nice gesture.... but maybe not(?)

What kind of message would we be sending if we as a family were to wear red on gay days? Would that be frowned upon? I really hope this doesn't stir up an argument or anything; I just sincerely want to know.

smk

Back in the day when the AC was open the wife and I frequently made solo trips to WDW during that weekend. The last time we went she packed nothing but red shirts for me.:drevil:
:ROFLOL:Now I am guessing you pack for yourself?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

We may end up being in the World at the start of gay days this year, and I had thought it would be a nice idea for all of us to wear a red shirt, just in support of the gay community. We try to teach our kids acceptance, and I had thought it would be a nice gesture.... but maybe not(?)

What kind of message would we be sending if we as a family were to wear red on gay days? Would that be frowned upon? I really hope this doesn't stir up an argument or anything; I just sincerely want to know.
Being a straight guy I can't really speak for the gay community but I did not get the least bit of flak for wearing red on that weekend.

:ROFLOL:Now I am guessing you pack for yourself?
I did not even acknowledge her joke. She mentioned it on our way to the AC and all I said was "Huh....I did not even think about that. Oh well maybe it will help to lower our bar tab a bit.":lol:

Animaniac93-98

I've never been to one of the gay days celebrations (yet!), but from what I know not everyone who wears red is actually gay, but some are friends and family who support and join in on the celebration.

If you want to teach your kids acceptance, who cares what some jerk you've never met and probably won't ever again thinks? If you don't however I wouldn't hold it against you.

ddrongowski

but they're neither obnoxious or displaying overt amounts of PDA.

But it still does not make it any easier to explain to your young child, why the two men in front of you, just had a quick kiss.

Been there, not going back during that time again.

erstwo

We were there last year during Gay Days. We looked up the schedule and avoided the "chosen" park to avoid the crowds. If we hadn't known it was going on, we never would have known it was going on.

No problems, issues, nothing different than any of our other trips! Have a great one! :)

LoriMistress

I think it's a wonderful idea to wear red shirts to support the gay/lesbian community! You could do that or were a rainbow shirt/pin/etc. to show your support as well.

Mikester71

That's weird...I didn't even realize that the colour red was associated with the gay community. I knew that the rainbow colours were, just not red on its own though! :shrug:

The Mom

Premium Member
I guess it's that time of year again. I hate to do this, but the gay day threads ALWAYS go downhill (at least for the last 9 years, and I wouldn't bet on things changing) , so I'm locking this one.

The OP got his answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom