Pre-Trip June 2024 Graduation Celebration

Heeeeeyyyyyyy!
I'm back! I didn't mean to be away for so long. I didn't quit Disney, or this forum or anything dramatic. It feels like the time just slipped through my fingers, and without even realizing it, nearly 3 years has passed!

Allow me to re-introduce myself:
I'm Ali (rhymes with Sally) and I love Disney!
I visited WDW for the first time in 2013 knowing nothing and had an ok time. I found this forum, learned SO MUCH and every vacation since has been magical! Thanks guys!

Here I am on my last visit to WDW in March of 2021.
IMG_20210318_133756.jpg

Along with my husband Jim, our daughter Gwen, our son Ethan and my mommy.
MVIMG_20210321_145544.jpg

Man, those masked photos are such a bummer!

So, why such a gap between visits? Well, in January of 2022, we bought our dream house! It's an old Victorian that we're in the process of restoring, one DIY project at a time.
Yes, that's the dream. For us anyway! 🤣 I'm an interior designer and my husband is an engineer. We love teaming up to do the work ourselves.
So, no vacation in 2022.

Last year was a redemption vacation to The Everglades & the Florida Keys. We had booked a trip for the summer of 2021, but had to cancel due to a positive covid test the night before departure. 😭
We got there, just 2 years late!

June 2023 in Key West
PXL_20230613_151414614.MP.jpg

So here we are, almost 3 years later, finally headed back to WDW!!!

When: June 4-14
6-day single Park tickets
Where: 2 nights at Coco Beach and 8 nights in the Disney area. We haven't booked anything yet, but it will be off-property. For sure. My house takes all my money
Why: celebrating Ethan's 8th grade graduation!!!

130 days to go!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210318_133755.jpg
    MVIMG_20210318_133755.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Aaaaaaah I love old Victorian houses!! My father's side of the family is from a town in PA that's full of them. They're so pretty.

Can't wait to read about your trip! :)
I grew up in a Chicago neighborhood that was developed in the late 1800's and early 1900's, so buildings of that era feel like home to me. ♥️

Thanks for following!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
The Plans

Day 1: Travel
Hoping to book a flight departing around 9am. As much as I want to get the vacation started, it's a vacation! I don't want to be a sleep deprived zombie.

We'll rent a car in Orlando, then drive to Cocoa Beach.
I'd like to check out the CB Pier and have dinner somewhere with an ocean view.

Day 2: Kennedy Space Center
My husband loves this stuff, so he'll be taking the lead on our tour of the visitor complex.
We've been twice before.
I remember really loving the space shuttle Atlantis exhibit.
I'll have to do some research and see if there's anything new since 2018

Day 3: Bye-bye Beach, hello Disney!
We usually stay off-property at a 2 bed, 2 bath balcony suite for around $150 a night Our old faithful, Blue Heron Beach Resort is looking a bit run down. We're trying a different resort, Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas Lake Buena Vista. It's a little more per night, but it's more updated and has far more amenities.

We'll shop for breakfast and lunch essentials, check out the resort and head to Disney Springs for dinner.
Looking for advice on this!!!
Any opinions on Summerhouse on the Lake? Other suggestions?
Gwen mentioned Rainforest Cafe, but I've never been impressed.

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom
Setting my alarm to hopefully score a boarding group for Tron! 🤞

*We will not be buying Genie+. We WILL be managing our expectations. We will prioritize the things that matter to us, enjoy what we are able to do and let go of the rest.*

Since we're celebrating Ethan's graduation, we will try to hit his favorites: Thunder Mountain, Pirates, Space Mountain and Buzz.

Dinner at Steakhouse 71
Any thoughts or opinions?

Back to MK for fireworks

Day 5 - Epcot
Another early morning to hopefully get a boarding group for Cosmic Rewind. 🤞
The Flower and Garden Festival will be going on, which is enough for me. Also, no more wall-cot!!!!

Dinner at Via Napoli
Stay for Illuminations

Day 6 - Hollywood Studios
More than anything, we want to ride Rise. On our last trip, it was virtual queue only, and it didn't work out for us.
Welcoming any suggestions on best practices here. Rope Drop? Just before park closing?
I'm willing to buy a LL for this one.
My boy loves Star Wars, so he might want to do something special like build a droid or a crazy lightsaber.
Other priorities include: Muppet Vision, Toy Story Mania, and the Frozen Sing-a-long

Planning to take an afternoon break this day. Maybe swim and have dinner by the pool.

Coming back for Fantasmic!

Day 7 - Rest Day
No plans will be made😎

Day 8 - Epcot
This day is also our 19th wedding anniversary! Epcot is our favorite, and also probably the most romantic park.
We both love Living with the Land, and have taken the Behind the Seeds tour in the past. Not sure if it's worth a repeat, but might be a fun something extra.

Anniversary dinner suggestions?
Open to in-park options, as well as resorts accessible by ferry or skyliner

Day 9 - Animal Kingdom
I intend to start the day with a morning safari ride, and end it flying on a banchee. Hopefully catch a couple of live shows in between.
We might take another afternoon break this day.

Dinner will probably be at Disney Springs

Day 10 - Magic Kingdom
Our final park day. Just gonna go with the flow.

Dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe

Back to MK for fireworks

Day 11 - Travel
Depending on our flight time, we might look for a fun brunch spot before heading home

123 days to go!

erstwo

My suggestion for rope dropping Rise is - stick around.
It’s seemingly always closed/ down at rope drop. Most people sadly move towards Millennium thinking it could be hours before Rise is up (and it might be!)
However, if you stick around and start up a conversation with the CMs sometimes you discover it will open in a few minutes. That’s happened to us twice.

Last edited:

MerMom1981

Original Poster
My suggestion for rope dropping Rise is - stick around.
It’s seemingly always closed/ down at rope drop. Most people sadly move towards Millennium thinking it could be hours before Rise is up (end it might be!)
However, if you stick around and start up a conversation with the CMs sometimes you discover it will open in a few minutes. That’s happened to us twice.
Thanks for the Intel!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
A lot has happened in that last 2 months.
My husband's sister passed away very suddenly at the end of February. They were not on speaking terms, so we had already mourned the loss of that relationship, but it was still a terrible, painful shock.
We are coming out on the other side, getting back to normal, but trip planning has been far from my mind. I asked my husband if he still felt up for this vacation, and he said he's never needed it more. Spending time with our kids, celebrating milestones and making memories as a family will do us good. ♥️ Agreed

So, here we are
51 days to go
I've got some ADR's to make

MerMom1981

Original Poster
ADR's ✔️

I was able to book everything I'd planned on, and finally made a decision on our anniversary dinner

Arrival day - 6:30 @ Summerhouse on the Lake
MK - 6:45 @ Steakhouse 71
Epcot - 6:20;@ Via Napoli
DHS - dinner by the pool
Rest day - we'll see where the day takes us!
Epcot - 6:40 Anniversary dinner @ Le Cellier (a first for us!)
AK - 6:00;@ Rainforest Cafe
MK - 6:30 @ Grand Floridian Cafe
Departure day - ?

I was also sad to discover that the Flower & Garden Festival will not extend into June this year. ☹️ It makes sense, as it's run March thru May in the past, but I am going to miss the garden displays!!!
It's kinda fitting though. My love for plants/nature/gardening comes from my mother, and she won't be joining us on this trip as originally intended. I'll have to make my own frushi and take her to the Chicago Botanic Gardens instead! 🙃

50 days to go!

Minnie1986

A lot has happened in that last 2 months.
My husband's sister passed away very suddenly at the end of February. They were not on speaking terms, so we had already mourned the loss of that relationship, but it was still a terrible, painful shock.
We are coming out on the other side, getting back to normal, but trip planning has been far from my mind. I asked my husband if he still felt up for this vacation, and he said he's never needed it more. Spending time with our kids, celebrating milestones and making memories as a family will do us good. ♥️ Agreed

So, here we are
51 days to go
I've got some ADR's to make
So sorry for the mass of emotions I'm sure you're all feeling, but glad that you'll be able to use the trip to raise your spirits.

Minnie1986

ADR's ✔️

I was able to book everything I'd planned on, and finally made a decision on our anniversary dinner

Arrival day - 6:30 @ Summerhouse on the Lake
MK - 6:45 @ Steakhouse 71
Epcot - 6:20;@ Via Napoli
DHS - dinner by the pool
Rest day - we'll see where the day takes us!
Epcot - 6:40 Anniversary dinner @ Le Cellier (a first for us!)
AK - 6:00;@ Rainforest Cafe
MK - 6:30 @ Grand Floridian Cafe
Departure day - ?

I was also sad to discover that the Flower & Garden Festival will not extend into June this year. ☹️ It makes sense, as it's run March thru May in the past, but I am going to miss the garden displays!!!
It's kinda fitting though. My love for plants/nature/gardening comes from my mother, and she won't be joining us on this trip as originally intended. I'll have to make my own frushi and take her to the Chicago Botanic Gardens instead! 🙃

50 days to go!
Sounds like some great choices! I'll also be doing Steakhouse 71 on my MK night😋

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom