Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How would that work? The show building for iasw is massive.

Not to mention that the entrance to the Utilidors is built into the back of it, so it can't really just be "removed."
The show building for IaSW isn't that massive. It's the same square footage as either Imagination or The Seeing Eye Theater.

The entrance to the the Utilidors is next to IaSM (Pinocchio's Restaurant is over it).

A park-level area (even a covered one) can be put it in its place (or refurbished) that leads to a second story exit out the back over the road and gently ramp down to the acres and acres of land that surround the northern loop of RoA.

BUT... MK doesn't need a new land until the other three parks are beefed up with at least three new rides each.

BUT... if a new IaSW is built in EPCOT with fidelity to the old ride but dramatically plussed in experience, then the current IaSW can be transformed temporarily into a people-eating C level ride or theater for now.

1632241605833.png

Castle Cake Apologist

The show building for IaSW isn't that massive. It's the same square footage as either Imagination or The Seeing Eye Theater.

The entrance to the the Utilidors is next to IaSM (Pinocchio's Restaurant is over it).

A park-level area (even a covered one) can be put it in its place (or refurbished) that leads to a second story exit out the back over the road and gently ramp down to the acres and acres of land that surround the northern loop of RoA.

BUT... MK doesn't need a new land until the other three parks are beefed up with at least three new rides each.

BUT... if a new IaSW is built in EPCOT with fidelity to the old ride but dramatically plussed in experience, then the current IaSW can be transformed temporarily into a people-eating C level ride or theater for now.

View attachment 588358

It's massive in the sense that plopping it down in front of World Showcase Lagoon would look ridiculous, and I have a strong feeling that it wouldn't physically fit in the area people armchair it into.

Sidebar, I couldn't tell you how many times I've been in and out of the tunnels there and never made the connection that it was actually Haus and not the iasw building itself I was walking under. You even have to sit there and wait for busses back to West Clock (the Cast parking for MK), so I had plenty of time to look. 🤦

Crazydisneyfanluke

View attachment 588358
They could do a lot with that space if they did it right. You wouldn't have to close really anything while its being built either.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It's massive in the sense that plopping it down in front of World Showcase Lagoon would look ridiculous, and I have a strong feeling that it wouldn't physically fit in the area people armchair it into.

Sidebar, I couldn't tell you how many times I've been in and out of the tunnels there and never made the connection that it was actually Haus and not the iasw building itself I was walking under. You even have to sit there and wait for busses back to West Clock (the Cast parking for MK), so I had plenty of time to look. 🤦
I, personally, wouldn't put IaSW2 on Showcase Plaza. I'd have it replace Imagination and/or Seeing Eye Theater.

CJR

View attachment 588358

I suspect Disney has been taking notes from Japan's work. If the attraction can be moved elsewhere, it can be moved in Florida too. IMHO, the additions they could bring to the park by doing so would easily pay themselves off if they're smart about it - just from F&B/merch sales alone.

Dare I say it, the tip end of World Celebration would be a good location for this too - given the direction they're going in. It would be sad to lose Imagination, but then again, we lost Imagination in 1998. It's mostly just a shell of a building at this point, a side reminder of what was. This would at least change that - for better or worse.

RSoxNo1

How would that work? The show building for iasw is massive.

Not to mention that the entrance to the Utilidors is built into the back of it, so it can't really just be "removed."
I think the only remotely viable option would be the removal of the Odyssey and filling in some of (if not all of) the water in front of it. I guess you could also go the Indiana Jones Adventure route and have a long queue to a parking lot as well, but either way, The Odyssey would have to be removed if they were to relocate it to Showcase Plaza.

Another option would be near the International Gateway with an entrance right before the bridge to France.

RSoxNo1

View attachment 588358
Beyond the primary reason of "it's a better fit in EPCOT", the argument has always been for future expansion. The removal of "it's a small world" and to a lesser extent Pinocchios Village Haus opens up a massive area on the most valuable real estate in the parks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
IASWv2 - Now with more Disney movie IP!! Princesses, Pixar, and Marvel (where they can use it) in every scene! Look for the Star Wars Easter eggs!

I know most will say that’s pretty far-fetched. I would have agreed years ago. Today? Nope. 🤦‍♂️

RSoxNo1

IASWv2 - Now with more Disney movie IP!! Princesses, Pixar, and Marvel (where they can use it) in every scene! Look for the Star Wars Easter eggs!

I know most will say that’s pretty far-fetched. I would have agreed years ago. Today? Nope. 🤦‍♂️
What's silly (beyond us turning the JoW thread into an iasw relocation thread) is that if Disney were to relocate it's a small world to EPCOT I'm guessing they would add the characters. The current version of it's a small world is more befitting of EPCOT while the character version is more befitting of MK.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
For goodness' sake, leave it's a small world where it is! It's Fantasyland's heart and soul.
It doesn't thematically fit in a land called "Fantasyland" unless one thinks world peace is just a fantasy.

It is a 100% thematic fit for World Showcase (or World Showcase adjacent). Imagine a bigger, better, longer IaSW with a ceiling that is not obviously acoustic tile, with more cultures represented, with more advanced AA puppeteering, with a re-worked soundtrack that adds some countermelodies and more world instruments to break up the monotony of it, with tasteful Mary Blair projections in the background, with the "2 1/2 D" projections like in MMRR...

1632251529152.png

The other place it could go would be where the African Outpost is. That's a double sized pavilion plot that would require whatever goes there to be hardened from fireworks fall out, which a completely enclosed IaSW2 would be.

LittleBuford

It doesn't thematically fit in a land called "Fantasyland" unless one thinks world peace is just a fantasy.

It is a 100% thematic fit for World Showcase (or World Showcase adjacent). Imagine a bigger, better, longer IaSW with a ceiling that is not obviously acoustic tile, with more cultures represented, with more advanced AA puppeteering, with a re-worked soundtrack that adds some countermelodies and more world instruments to break up the monotony of it, with tasteful Mary Blair projections in the background, with the "2 1/2 D" projections like in MMRR...

View attachment 588383

The other place it could go would be where the African Outpost is. That's a double sized pavilion plot that would require whatever goes there to be hardened from fireworks fall out, which a completely enclosed IaSW2 would be.
Issues of fit notwithstanding, the attraction’s 50-year history in Fantasyland roots it there. Its a highly stylised, fantastical rendition of the world that has more to do with the escapism of the Magic Kingdom than with the pseudo-educational mission of World Showcase.

J4546

I think if Disney reworked the entrance/que area of HM, they could create a footpath around and inbetween HM and the Rivers of America. That path would lead north to a new Bayou themed area with a dedicated PatF ride along an old NewOrleans style waterfront town area that would also be cool to look at from the River Boat as well.

CJR

The relocation at Tokyo Disneyland didn’t happen.

I thought that was because of the pandemic. Did they completely shelve the project?

Either way, the plans were definitely there and the research involved could still help other locations, even if it never happens in Tokyo.

Sharon&Susan

I thought that was because of the pandemic. Did they completely shelve the project?

Either way, the plans were definitely there and the research involved could still help other locations, even if it never happens in Tokyo.
It was cancelled long before the pandemic. IASW at Tokyo got a remodel with a redone boarding station and added Disney characters with the Fantasyland Forest Theater that opened last year approximately where the new IASW would've gone.

CJR

It was cancelled long before the pandemic. IASW at Tokyo got a remodel with a redone boarding station and added Disney characters with the Fantasyland Forest Theater that opened last year approximately where the new IASW would've gone.

Interesting. I didn't know it got axed completely. I did know about the characters, but that would be as easy as moving from point a to point b.

That's another discussion though since this was about Epcot. I just said they could take notes from Tokyo, which was very much on the table. They did research and had planned on relocating the ride (which I believe they still could, easily - a quick peak on Google Earth shows plenty of room for it, given the odd L-shaped angle it was supposed to have tucked behind Space Mountain).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom