Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Vinnie Mac

What gives you the impression Harm is widely beloved?
The strong crowd reactions and largely positive feedback coming from the GP (who's opinions usually overshadow those of the actual Disney community or really any theme park community). That and the fact that, despite the negative opinions as well (which there are lots of), there are plenty of positive opinions on the show from the Disney community. IF there's a livestream in EPCOT tonight, watch the chat during and after the show and you'd find out I'm not really making this up.

The show isn't as hated as a lot of people think it is/want it to be. In these forums though, that's a different story... If I shared my opinions on HarmonioUS in relation to ROE I'd probably have my location tracked down by some folks 😂

doctornick

I’ll put my 2 cents in… I think the concept art looks beautiful. I think it’s a great fit for a nature themed area and as a kinda pre-show leading to the Seas. The Moana theming looks pretty minor (and it’s notable not in the main name) and I’m hopeful it won’t be an overwhelming presence. If it’s educational as has been hinted, it would fit in well with the vibe of classic Epcot.

And quite frankly I wasn’t really all the enthralled with late stage Innoventions anyway so I don’t view it as much of a loss (especially with Play! seemingly replacing its functions).

It’s funny to say now but when they announced this, I actually thought it would be pretty well received by Epcot purists as a reasonable fit for something that had to have an IP tie in. The contempt on this thread for JoW really surprised me. I didn’t realize how much people cared about Innoventions I guess. 🤷‍♂️

UNCgolf

It’s funny to say now but when they announced this, I actually thought it would be pretty well received by Epcot purists as a reasonable fit for something that had to have an IP tie in. The contempt on this thread for JoW really surprised me. I didn’t realize how much people cared about Innoventions I guess. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think people really cared about Innoventions specifically as much as the well designed symmetry of the original hub, and the fact that all of that space could have been used for what is going into Play! (and likely with room left over) instead of wasting a whole pavilion on it. It also would have helped if they hadn't turned the whole central area into a concrete plaza years ago.

DC0703

Moana in Futureworld and Guardians Of The Galaxy feel very misplaced.
Regarding Moana - it depends. If Moana is heavily featured as a focus of the area, then I agree with you. If it ends up a walkthrough water feature with some light Moana theming at the entry, then it may be a fine for the area. The concept art is not super clear on what exactly this will end up being, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for the present.

Animaniac93-98

The loss of Innoventions hasn’t really been lamented.

I don't think people really cared about Innoventions specifically as much as the well designed symmetry of the original hub, and the fact that all of that space could have been used for what is going into Play! (and likely with room left over) instead of wasting a whole pavilion on it. It also would have helped if they hadn't turned the whole central area into a concrete plaza years ago.

I will say that I miss Sum of All Thrills, and that it could/should have been moved to somewhere else in the park.

Animaniac93-98

Kids: Mom can we go to Innoventions?

Mom: We have Innoventions at home

1635469641438.png

Vinnie Mac

I will say that I miss Sum of All Thrills, and that it could/should have been moved to somewhere else in the park.
Are you referring to that little thing where you'd design a roller-coaster and you'd get to "ride" a simulated version of it via a robotic arm?

Probably one of the only losses to pre-2019 EPCOT I actually care about (besides ROE).

doctornick

Yeah. SoAT was a great little attraction. I wish they’d have moved it to Play or something like that. I wholeheartedly agree that it was the one thing that was awesome in Innoventions and worth keeping. Capacity was crap though which is why they never bothered to promote it.

Though it was located in Innoventions East, right? My sense of direction isn’t that great, but I wonder what is in its place now. Club Cool?

Animaniac93-98

Yeah. SoAT was a great little attraction. I wish they’d have moved it to Play or something like that. I wholeheartedly agree that it was the one thing that was awesome in Innoventions and worth keeping. Capacity was crap though which is why they never bothered to promote it.

Though it was located in Innoventions East, right? My sense of direction isn’t that great, but I wonder what is in its place now. Club Cool?

Yes, East side.

Epcot82Guy

Agreed. The symmetry of that plaza is the big thing. I think JoW would be a cool idea (sans Moana) for the area between the plaza and Land/Seas to link them together. But, it would need a building on the plaza. And arguably the cost to demo and rebuild would have been better spent repurposing all or part of the shell that was there.

Bocabear

Sarcasm? Cause I have read nothing but what was lost and all that space they could use for attractions and food and such, even though it was never going to be.....
I guess part of the feeling of loss is that it once was programmed with attractions and food and such....and it certainly could have been again. Also the loss of the symmetry of the park, that grand feeling of entry. all lost... A tropical waterfall and interactive fountain exhibit is a nice thing, but it feels off at the entrance of the park... Well to me anyway.
Moana is about the last IP I would ever think of in EPCOT unless they actually had a Pacific Islands Pavilion in World Showcase...then it would feel more natural.
I am not against using IP where it fits the construct... but something about the whole reorganizing of the front half of the park doesn't seem to make sense...feels confusing...Unless there is a huge part of the puzzle they are keeping a secret...but it would have to be huge to tie it all together.

mightynine

There's no point to having four different theme parks with four different overarching themes only to just plop attractions in that either don't fit at all (Guardians) or fit only by association (Rat).

That’s probably my biggest complaint with how management see the parks. They aren’t uniquely themed parks designed by Disney in their eyes, but parks that should be themed to The Walt Disney Company. Who needs a unique theme when we can just make it about our collection of intellectual property?

Epcot82Guy

I guess part of the feeling of loss is that it once was programmed with attractions and food and such....and it certainly could have been again. Also the loss of the symmetry of the park, that grand feeling of entry. all lost... A tropical waterfall and interactive fountain exhibit is a nice thing, but it feels off at the entrance of the park... Well to me anyway.
Moana is about the last IP I would ever think of in EPCOT unless they actually had a Pacific Islands Pavilion in World Showcase...then it would feel more natural.
I am not against using IP where it fits the construct... but something about the whole reorganizing of the front half of the park doesn't seem to make sense...feels confusing...Unless there is a huge part of the puzzle they are keeping a secret...but it would have to be huge to tie it all together.

To be fair, it depends on how it is used. If they wanted to use Tefiti, that could somewhat work. Have this talk about how water sustains all life on the planet, and our cultures around the globe have told stories/celebrated this. It would be sort of the living version of the old Epcot attractions, going from history into the modern/futuristic of the two pavilions. It's not my favorite, but it could be an interesting use of the IP.

I fear this is going lack that subtlety. Character fans will want more Moana (as it is billed as a Moana attraction). So, this may turn into Moana's guided splash pad where Moana gives little local Science Museum tidbits about water. If so, I fear that will be a mediocre Moana attraction, "meh" modern Epcot attraction and failure for classic Epcot lovers. In other words, something kinda fine without a core audience.

EDIT: And, yes - I fully accept I'm speculating there. We don't know the story or end design here. So, "wait and see" would be a fair observation and limit on my statements above.

FigmentFan82

I think it's because the former "Future World" always did feel very futury, at least to the extent of a theme park execution of the idea. Entering Epcot was always going through Future World first, and now there seems to be a deliberate shift in focus to make that entrance more organic and nature-y, and push the high tech stuff off to the sides. Will it work? Yours is as good as mine when it comes to guesses. But they have definitely decided to change the experience completely as you enter, for better or worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom