Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Good lord, so until 2023 was how long they were planning to leave the centre of Epcot a construction zone behind walls before the pandemic hit?

Gives a little perspective to calls we shouldn't be too hard on them for taking so long because covid.
Without the pandemic, they were going to build the three-story festival center. That alone would have left the hub in a two-to-three year construction zone. Then, add pandemic.

Sir_Cliff

Without the pandemic, they were going to build the three-story festival center. That alone would have left the hub in a two-to-three year construction zone. Then, add pandemic.
Even with the festival center, 3-4 years seems a very long time to leave the centre of the park a construction zone. We've discussed the comparison with the DCA refurb already, but I think that is still valid considering their plans for Epcot even before the pandemic hit. In the case of DCA, they seemed to plan in order to open up as much as possible as quickly as possible and minimise disruption. For Epcot, they seem to have taken a very relaxed approach with long construction timetables from the beginning.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think that's treating guests with much respect considering how much they're charging to get in.

Bocabear

That is the problem...as long as guests are willing to pay to get into a construction zone, they will not worry about dragging it out. If all of the sudden guests stopped coming stating they would avoid the park until the construction was complete, I bet that timeline would advance a lot more quickly. They built the entire Polynesian Resort from the ground up in a shorter time frame than it is taking them to build an interactive water feature... They began demolition in 2019... so 4 years to complete, and the entire EPCOT theme park was built in 3 years....all of it...

MagicHappens1971

That is the problem...as long as guests are willing to pay to get into a construction zone, they will not worry about dragging it out. If all of the sudden guests stopped coming stating they would avoid the park until the construction was complete, I bet that timeline would advance a lot more quickly. They built the entire Polynesian Resort from the ground up in a shorter time frame than it is taking them to build an interactive water feature... They began demolition in 2019... so 4 years to complete, and the entire EPCOT theme park was built in 3 years....all of it...
I mean most guests (from my perspective) spend most of their time in World Showcase, eating and drinking, even before the walls went up.

Vegas Disney Fan

They could work all day on the Polynesian, Epcot construction is mostly limited to after park hours.

Given the choice of fast but with construction noise during the day or slow but without the noise my choice is slow. Walking around Epcot to the sound of backup beeps from heavy machinery and jackhammers doesn’t sound very magical.

Casper Gutman

walking around EPCOT in a tunnel of plywood and construction walls isn't very magical either...
But the inconvenience is worth it! When it’s all done, we’ll have a brand new… fountain? Maybe a corporate center we can’t go into?

By the way, I’m finally convinced they are actually building Moana. I still have absolutely no idea WHY they are actually building it, but they’re actually building it.

dreday3

Well, NOTHING says "Welcome to Epcot" like a vaguely Polynesian themed water feature interactive exhibit fountain play area explaining the water cycle... It is naturally the first thing I think of after passing Spaceship Earth... lol

If it really does "teach" about water cycle, environment, what have - then yes, it can go in the edutainment file and an argument can be made for why it's in Epcot. Not saying it's what was wanted, but...

Bocabear

While I can think of several other parks it might fit better, its the actual placement within EPCOT that feels so troubling to me...As the sort of first thing you see when entering the park it feels very off-brand for the theme and style of the park...
Though I guess the park is changing greatly, this still doesn't seem like the first thing you would want to lead with... Perhaps the bigger picture that we don't know yet, would make sense of it...

dreday3

While I can think of several other parks it might fit better, its the actual placement within EPCOT that feels so troubling to me...As the sort of first thing you see when entering the park it feels very off-brand for the theme and style of the park...
Though I guess the park is changing greatly, this still doesn't seem like the first thing you would want to lead with... Perhaps the bigger picture that we don't know yet, would make sense of it...

Yes I can see some big tropical area looking out of place...hopefully it's integrated somehow.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The first thing you see?

You're just trolling now to see if you can make anything a negative and make embarrassing posts like this filled with nonsense.

The first thing you see?

1637263383085.png

Bocabear

The first thing you see?

You're just trolling now to see if you can make anything a negative and make embarrassing posts like this filled with nonsense.

The first thing you see?

View attachment 601494
After passing the theme structure that you literally walk under to enter the park proper, it would be the very first thing, yes...
Trolling? LOL I am sorry if my opinion doesn't match yours, but this is a discussion thread about this particular attraction...But thanks for jumping on and attacking me personally.... And I am not the least bit embarrassed to say that a Moana attraction in the central core of EPCOT feels wrong to me. I am sure there are others that question the placement of this attraction.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
After passing the theme structure that you literally walk under to enter the park proper, it would be the very first thing, yes...
Trolling? LOL I am sorry if my opinion doesn't match yours, but this is a discussion thread about this particular attraction...But thanks for jumping on and attacking me personally.... And I am not the least bit embarrassed to say that a Moana attraction in the central core of EPCOT feels wrong to me. I am sure there are others that question the placement of this attraction.
So, SSE is just a "theme structure" and not the main weenie of the park with its own fountain and courtyard that has its own lighting package and light-show, and containing its own dark-ride attraction? Just dismiss it as a themed architectural element as you walk by and not the "first thing you see."

There aren't enough eye-rolls in the world to respond to that.

Also, once you pass SSE, JoW will be on your right. Do you enter EPCOT sidestepping facing to the right? No. You look forward. And there you'll see the new show fountain, and Dreamer's Point and whatever 'festival' thing is going to be in the hub. Filling up nearly half your field of view will be Communicore East (restaurant, Starbucks, Creations). You'll see straight ahead the path to World Showcase. Turning to the right you will first see the Imagination Pavilion, then the Land Pavilion, and then Journey of Water.

So, yeah. You continue to be wrong about the thing you're criticizing. And you don't retract when it's point out you're wrong.

BTW, JoW is still not a splash pad.

Bocabear

So, SSE is just a "theme structure" and not the main weenie of the park with its own fountain and courtyard that has its own lighting package and light-show, and containing its own dark-ride attraction? Just dismiss it as a themed architectural element as you walk by and not the "first thing you see."

There aren't enough eye-rolls in the world to respond to that.

Also, once you pass SSE, JoW will be on your right. Do you enter EPCOT sidestepping facing to the right? No. You look forward. And there you'll see the new show fountain, and Dreamer's Point and whatever 'festival' thing is going to be in the hub. Filling up nearly half your field of view will be Communicore East (restaurant, Starbucks, Creations). You'll see straight ahead the path to World Showcase. Turning to the right you will first see the Imagination Pavilion, then the Land Pavilion, and then Journey of Water.

So, yeah. You continue to be wrong about the thing you're criticizing. And you don't retract when it's point out you're wrong.

BTW, JoW is still not a splash pad.
OK you just want to attack and argue...
Ummm Yeah Spaceship Earth is the Theme Structure, Centerpiece and first attraction in the park...I have never said it wasn't all of those things...Upon entering you have to go either left or right to get around Spaceship Earth... I usually go to the right meaning the first thing I will encounter after passing under the sphere will be the Journey Of Water...
I am curious, was it your decision to put Journey Of water in this location? You have done nothing but attack me and not explain why you think it is the perfect location for this...

Vegas Disney Fan

3AA1F37D-BD67-4049-B4C9-6A386C866133.jpeg

I can’t believe people are upset they are replacing a concrete plaza and an empty building with beautiful park space and a natural maze.

This is such a massive upgrade in my opinion. I’d much rather see trees and a fountain maze over concrete and shade sails in a barren wasteland of concrete.

I also think a water and forrest maze leading to the “Ocean” and “Land” pavilions fits perfectly.

Last edited:

Bocabear

It wasn't always a barren wasteland of concrete and shade sails... Part of the problem was allowing the attractions within those walls to stagnate... Removing all of the waterways and landscaping that were originally in the central core also hurt the space. ..
While I love the idea of water features and beautiful landscaping it bothers me to destroy the very symmetry of the park rather than fix it... The arc of buildings that was torn down were used... not abandoned... And in a park where they rely on a tent for their festival building, (Which is also taking up needed attraction and expansion space) it seems like they could have redesigned the central court making it green, dramatic and beautiful, and used the existing structures to house the Festival and event spaces needed...maintaining the beautiful symmetry of the park....

dreday3

View attachment 601506

I can’t believe people are upset they are replacing a concrete plaza and an empty building with beautiful park space and a natural maze.

This is such a massive upgrade in my opinion. I’d much rather see trees and a fountain maze over concrete and shade sails in a barren wasteland of concrete.

I also think a water and forrest maze leading to the “Ocean” and “Land” pavilions fits perfectly.

I'm not upset, I ridiculously excited for it!

But I can also see how a lush/tropical feelish attraction doesn't fit the aesthetic we are used to with Epcot. And I realize a lot of people wanted something else....

but heck no, I'm hoping it's open for our 2023 trip!

Vegas Disney Fan

It wasn't always a barren wasteland of concrete and shade sails... Part of the problem was allowing the attractions within those walls to stagnate... Removing all of the waterways and landscaping that were originally in the central core also hurt the space. ..
While I love the idea of water features and beautiful landscaping it bothers me to destroy the very symmetry of the park rather than fix it... The arc of buildings that was torn down were used... not abandoned... And in a park where they rely on a tent for their festival building, (Which is also taking up needed attraction and expansion space) it seems like they could have redesigned the central court making it green, dramatic and beautiful, and used the existing structures to house the Festival and event spaces needed...maintaining the beautiful symmetry of the park....
I’ve only been going to Epcot since 2013 so I never experienced what you describe, for the decade I’ve been going it’s never been more than a concrete plaza with a pin trading store, a meet and greet, and at one time a massive building that had a few video game consoles set up inside it. It also created a massive choke point trying to get to soarin in the morning. Maybe with better memories I could understand the dislike but I’ve never seen it as anything but wasted space and see the change as a 100% improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom