Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We’re you ever confused as to whether or not you were in Future World or World Showcase? Future World had an underlying organization to its layout. World Celebrate is this glob that just stretches out. What will tell you you’ve crossed from it to World Nature or World Discovery?
Well, when Fountain of Nations was in Future World instead of in World Showcase... yeah.

James Alucobond

Wait, how far does it extend east and west? Aside from the blobs in the southeast and southwest encompassing things like the ever ill-defined EPCOT Experience building, all the neighborhood overlays I've seen otherwise follow the monorail pretty much exactly.

DreamfinderGuy

Wait, how far does it extend east and west? Aside from the blobs in the southeast and southwest encompassing things like the ever ill-defined EPCOT Experience building, all the neighborhood overlays I've seen otherwise follow the monorail pretty much exactly.
Here’s an old overlay I made. It’s not 100% accurate (Nature doesn’t leech into the monorail line *that* much, lines are kinda weird (why did I not include the lakes in Future World?)) but it’s enough for illustrative purposes and is better than the one Disney did.
735BE240-1BE1-42E1-98E5-81AA89EDB43B.jpeg

James Alucobond

Here’s an old overlay I made. It’s not 100% accurate (Nature doesn’t leech into the monorail line *that* much, lines are kinda weird (why did I not include the lakes in Future World?)) but it’s enough for illustrative purposes and is better than the one Disney did.
Then I am indeed confused, because I thought the art Disney shared showed Journey of Water as part of World Celebration, traced the outline of the monorail, and only broke from it for Imagination and the Epcot Experience.

DreamfinderGuy

Then I am indeed confused, because I thought the art Disney shared showed Journey of Water as part of World Celebration, traced the outline of the monorail, and only broke from it for Imagination and the Epcot Experience.
That was because Disney’s outline was made to look more pleasing to the eye. We know Journey of Water is part of World Nature, the concept art shows it taking over nearly the entirety of the northwest CommuniCore, thereby making that plot part of World Nature.

James Alucobond

That was because Disney’s outline was made to look more pleasing to the eye. We know Journey of Water is part of World Nature, the concept art shows it taking over nearly the entirety of the northwest CommuniCore, thereby making that plot part of World Nature.
Yes, I knew it was inside the monorail ring, I just thought based on their neighborhood overlay that it was considered Celebration and would act as the connecting "gateway" since it's supposed to talk about the cycle of water, which thematically connects land and sea. Had no idea it was officially considered a World Nature attraction.

DreamfinderGuy

Yes, I knew it was inside the monorail ring, I just thought based on their neighborhood overlay that it was considered Celebration and would act as the connecting "gateway" since it's supposed to talk about the cycle of water, which thematically connects land and sea. Had no idea it was officially considered a World Nature attraction.
I think it’s...both? It’s officially considered a World Nature attraction and has a colored logo to match that, but it’s also marketed as a gateway to the rest of the land. It’s a weird beast of it’s own.

TikibirdLand

Yeah, the symmetry does not and did not matter to me in this situation.

I never experienced Epcot before 2013… so of course I don’t have the history or nostalgia fuelling me.
Event in 2013, if you came into EPCoT via monorail, you couldn't have ignored the communicore symmetry. I think it set the tone of what you were about to see in the park. As you made the turn-around, each of the pavilions came into view and the anticipation grew. Too bad they removed the happenings in a lot of these buildings took away that expectation.

James Alucobond

I think it’s...both? It’s officially considered a World Nature attraction and has a colored logo to match that, but it’s also marketed as a gateway to the rest of the land. It’s a weird beast of it’s own.
Interesting. I stand corrected, then. Sorry for the confusion.

Regardless, I do stand by the statement that I doubt anyone will be disoriented. The visual story is still "natural stuff on the right, futuristic / tech stuff on the left" when you enter, which is not a wayfinding approach I find overtly problematic.

mightynine

I think this is missing some commas or prepositions, so hopefully I'm deciphering this correctly as I respond to it.

I feel like folks are just being willfully obtuse when they act like this change will confuse people. Do we have to manufacture concern over things that pretty clearly won't be problems? If anything, this will improve wayfinding. The center of World Celebration becomes a compass unto itself—north toward the geodesic sphere for the entrance and Spaceship Earth thesis; east toward the concrete crescent for the more modern and futuristic vibe of World Discovery; south toward the lagoon for World Showcase; and west toward the landscaped environs for World Nature.

I absolutely get arguments over the loss of the grand reveal on each side, and I understand distress over the loss of CommuniCore as both an attraction and an anchoring object in space for a unified Future World. But the idea that people are going to enter the park and suddenly be left feeling totally unmoored and rendered completely incapable of discerning where things begin and end seems ludicrous.

Or the “World XXXX” designations will be mostly meaningless outside of Showcase and people will know the Guardians coaster and Test Track are to the left and Soarin’ is on the right, assuming you’re coming in from the front, of course.

I say this as someone who rarely thought of Future World in terms of West and East, however.

jt04

Not only that, World Nature is within the monorail line as well.

Which should include improved views. I always considered the views of the rooftops of the Entry Plaza/Communicore very bad show.

Also a problem at TTA. They should start adding 'green roofs' when they do overhauls. IMO.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
To be fair, if Avenger's Campus is the standard for new additions then perhaps it's better that Epcot stays a construction site until more creative leadership comes along.

But... but... Marvel! Avengers!! Isn’t that enough to bring the rubes in by the millions?? I bet Chapek just has to tell Bob to tweet about it and that’s all the marketing they need for that nondescript place themed to a movie franchise or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom