Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

plutofan15

5-year-olds tend to have different favourites from adults, so no. But I nonetheless think it’s unfair to mock the attraction as infantile in scope and appeal.
We just returned Sunday evening. When we visited the Moana attraction, nearly everyone from toddlers to high school/college kids to parents to grandparents and smiles on their faces going through. Seemed like a success.

J4546

Seems like 90+ percent of people visiting Epcot really enjoy the edutainment walkthrough about the lifecycle of water. Though some people on here are mad because they dont like what park its in, imo I think it fits Epcot very well. Also I like the new overall community gardens layout in the core of the park and cant wait to see it myself in person next year after Communicore Plaza opens!

_caleb

From the Epcot Journey of Water thread:

From the Tiana's Bayou Adventure thread:

These recent posts are far from being the worst offenders and I am not indent to pick on any individual members, but I think they are good examples of how a small, but prolific number of people consistently suck all the fun out of participating on this site.

Someone posts, "my 5 year old liked the new thing Disney built" and it's met with this type of rude, condescending, mocking posts dripping with scorn. I believe it stifles participation here for innocuous posts to be met with this sort of bitter sarcasm.

Look, we get that Disney hurt some fans feelings by changing. It's clear some feel disappointed by the Company over the years. But this is a Disney fan site; if its not safe to post about what we (as fans) enjoy or appreciate about the parks because anything positive is going to be met with derision, people aren't going to post.

And then there are those who may not post mean spirited content themselves, but routinely "like" those sort of posts. This only pours fuel on the fire.

My hope is that we can do a better job of creating a friendly environment around here that expresses disagreement in more agreeable ways. Every positive post shouldn't be seen as an invitation to respond with negativity.

Last edited:

DisneyNorthFan

I love to hear that the little kids are loving JOW. Of course it's important that it appeals to that set, so kudos to WDI for creating an attraction that resonates with them AND older kids AND adults. It's a joke to compare this to anything at Legoland. No shade intended, but I enjoyed Legoland with my young children, but no need to return outside of that. Their water playgrounds can't (and don't try) to compete with the all-ages appeal of JOW. And it's not like Epcot doesn't already have an entire adult playground aka World Showcase ... so even if this skews "younger", that seems appropriate for a family theme park that might be a little light on attractions skewed to this set. Is this what everyone wanted or where they thought it should go? Of course not. But is it a well done attraction that is a big crowd pleaser ... it certainly seems so!

celluloid

I sure hope it is a five-year old's favorite thing at EPCOT.

There is not as much that they can do these days with West half of the front of the park being entirely height requirement and abandoned or the East being The Land Pavilion, squeaky skunky dark ride and Nemo.

Was not really difficult bar to set.

EPCOT needs this more.

plutofan15

Seems like 90+ percent of people visiting Epcot really enjoy the edutainment walkthrough about the lifecycle of water. Though some people on here are mad because they dont like what park its in, imo I think it fits Epcot very well. Also I like the new overall community gardens layout in the core of the park and cant wait to see it myself in person next year after Communicore Plaza opens!
Agreed. We liked the addition of the gardens over the vast concrete expanses.

Ayla

5-year-olds tend to have different favourites from adults, so no. But I nonetheless think it’s unfair to mock the attraction as infantile in scope and appeal.
It is infantile in scope. It's about water, something kids in the US learn about in early elementary science. I wouldn't expect some fountains to be the highlight of an adult's trip. If it is, Disney has much bigger problems.

LittleBuford

It is infantile in scope. It's about water, something kids in the US learn about in early elementary science.
It's a Disney theme park, not the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Unpopular opinion, I know, but very few Epcot attractions outside World Showcase have ever had any real educational value.

I wouldn't expect some fountains to be the highlight of an adult's trip. If it is, Disney has much bigger problems.
Which adult here has said it was the highlight of their trip? And so what if they did? We all like different things.

SoFloMagic

I think they've gone way too far away from the idea for the park. The front is supposed to be about the future. Most of what they've done has nothing to do with that subject matter.

.... And before anyone says something... yes Epcot the city and the park are 2 different things. But both have an emphasis on the future. ... or they at least should (see Spaceship Earth and Horizons).
You can still learn about the future (or should I say your future) on spaceship earth.

yensidtlaw1969

The issue I have is that all these smiling children being referred to would be smiling just as wide had Journey of Water been placed somewhere it actually belonged.

My problem isn't really with the attraction itself, it's with the somewhat recently embraced bad practices that allowed it to be put in the wrong park. This would have been an easy A had it just been built in Adventureland. In that location at this same quality I think there'd be a lot less pushback.

Yes, EPCOT needed new things to do, but it also needed EPCOT-y things to do. Currently they seem much more interested in justifying how non-EPCOT-y things totally really are, actually instead of just honestly serving the park's themes and sensibilities.

LittleBuford

The issue I have is that all these smiling children being referred to would be smiling just as wide had Journey of Water been placed somewhere it actually belonged.

My problem isn't really with the attraction itself, it's with the somewhat recently embraced bad practices that allowed it to be put in the wrong park. This would have been an easy A had it just been built in Adventureland. In that location at this same quality I think there'd be a lot less pushback.

Yes, EPCOT needed new things to do, but it also needed EPCOT-y things to do. Currently they seem much more interested in justifying how non-EPCOT-y things totally really are, actually instead of just honestly serving the park's themes and sensibilities.
Apart from the Moana theme, which only becomes blatant at the end, it felt pretty Epcot-y to me: interactive and (ostensibly) educational.

plutofan15

Apart from the Moana theme, which only becomes blatant at the end, it felt pretty Epcot-y to me: interactive and (ostensibly) educational.
Exactly. Very much focused on being interactive and providing knowledge. Seemed to be a good fit to me. As stated, the Moana theme is very understated until the end; and if that draws in a younger audience to learn a little something about H2O, all the better.

Disstevefan1

In my opinion, its a fun little walk through, the little kids like it, I do feel its in the wrong place, it takes way too much space when you include the water treatment plant, it took way too much time to build and cost way too much for what it is.

I know they already had a minor underground plumbing problem but lets hope its built to stand the test of time and they don't start to one by one turn off elements one by one.

I never did get to see Rise before they started to turn off elements :(

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In my opinion, its a fun little walk through, the little kids like it, I do feel its in the wrong place, it takes way too much space when you include the water treatment plant, it took way too much time to build and cost way too much for what it is.

I know they already had a minor underground plumbing problem but lets hope its built to stand the test of time and they don't start to one by one turn off elements one by one.

I never did get to see Rise before they started to turn off elements :(
"elements" in the plural? What's shut off besides the cannons?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom