Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

FLDan41302

We thought it was delightful, but we can see where issues will arise. I was shocked to see this video as we were told "Please don't destroy the magic for others." I guess that time is over. Is it better than the splash pads they had for kids? Yes! Is it interactive? Very! Will they constantly have features down? Maybe! (Not Yeti B mode bad) Will there be lots of things they will have to constantly clean up in order to keep the area fresh? Without a doubt! Could I have designed, built, and did better? Nope! Change makes people upset, but its Disney and the core value is to never be finished. We can live in the past and have our favorites, but evolution is in the nature of the parks. I for one am glad the area that was built on no longer looks inorganic. It looks warm and inviting and less corporate Courtyard. I think for the most part the greatest thing that could happen is the construction walls to be gone!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Seems a bit less "edutainment" than I was hoping (hopefully that portion was all just missed from the video?) but I agree with others that (assuming there is little/no edutainment value in this) it would have fit wonderfully in either MK or AK (which would have been an especially great option given how hot that park seems to be).

UNCgolf

That TikTok actually made it worse than I thought it would be. What a disaster

I think it looks nice enough, although I still think it's not too different from some of the stuff originally in ImageWorks and that building something similar should have been part of an overhaul of the Imagination pavilion rather than a self-contained area elsewhere in the park.

That said, I don't see how it's going to work at Disney. It would be great at a zoo, aquarium, science museum, etc. that only had a couple thousand visitors a day (if that), but everything about it suggests it's intended as a leisurely walkthrough experience where you have fun with the interactive elements. Disney is just too busy for that.

Either they're going to severely limit the number of people in it at any given time (leading to long wait times, which will cause expectations/satisfaction problems) or it's going to be so crowded that it's miserable and you have to stand around and wait for 10 minutes to do each little interactive element.

Disstevefan1

I think it looks nice enough, although I still think it's not too different from some of the stuff originally in ImageWorks and that building something similar should have been part of an overhaul of the Imagination pavilion rather than a self-contained area elsewhere in the park.

That said, I don't see how it's going to work at Disney. It would be great at a zoo, aquarium, science museum, etc. that only had a couple thousand visitors a day (if that), but everything about it suggests it's intended as a leisurely walkthrough experience where you have fun with the interactive elements. Disney is just too busy for that.

Either they're going to severely limit the number of people in it at any given time (leading to long wait times, which will cause expectations/satisfaction problems) or it's going to be so crowded that it's miserable and you have to stand around and wait for 10 minutes to do each little interactive element.
There's going to be MOBBED at first, only because its new, but once folks realize what it is, it wont be crowded at all.

Sir_Cliff

This is the biggest question mark I still have about this project; how is it going to work with Disney-level crowds? That seems a bigger issue from Disney's perspective if they're not expecting it to just swallow a percentage of Epcot's existing attendance, but to in fact drive more visitors to the park. The other question mark is how they keep all the effects running day after day. I don't doubt the first time something breaks we'll have a lot of "it's already started" posts, but things will naturally break from time to time. The question is how quickly they can respond or if things start getting roped off for weeks or months at a time.

Overall, I'm falling on the side of this being a good addition if it was announced as something new to go in between The Seas and The Land. Honestly, I kind of like these smaller, interactive features that help distinguish Disney parks and the edutainment element would probably be sufficient for that kind of presentation. The issue is more the fact they have put it at the centre of the park (albeit without an entrance from the centre) and it has become far more of a big deal than it should have been as the whole Epcot redo is basically hanging on it at this point. This is more Disney's problem than mine, but I think the budget could probably be added to the list of things that are putting too much pressure on what would otherwise be a solid addition to the park to round out its offerings now that a lot of the old interactive features have been closed.

So, in general, probably a nice new addition to the park. The problem is more the context.

SamusAranX

Thankfully they have not totally destroyed Living with the land...... yet.
That begs the question, why was this not put near or connected in some way to the Land? It fits much more tonally there, and could have been received better slightly as a lead in to the whole Land concept.

It defies me to find an explanation for just how underwhelming this all was. As a lead in to maybe a Moana style flume or water ride this would have been perfect...sigh.

Disstevefan1

That begs the question, why was this not put near or connected in some way to the Land? It fits much more tonally there, and could have been received better slightly as a lead in to the whole Land concept.

It defies me to find an explanation for just how underwhelming this all was. As a lead in to maybe a Moana style flume or water ride this would have been perfect...sigh.
YES, this would have made a nice entrance or queue to something.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Seems a bit less "edutainment" than I was hoping (hopefully that portion was all just missed from the video?) but I agree with others that (assuming there is little/no edutainment value in this) it would have fit wonderfully in either MK or AK (which would have been an especially great option given how hot that park seems to be).

1). Where are all the edutainment defenders of this attraction now?

Here I am! And it is indeed "edutainment."

All one has to do is read BlogMickey's report:

Where are all the people who thought it wouldn't be educative?

Here's a sample:

THE WATER CYCLE – Water Connects Us

All of the water in the world constantly circles the planet, from the sky to the seas and back again.

It bright life to each of us in turn. This global cycle of water connects us all.

This is the only water we will ever have! If we can conserve it wherever we find it, everyone will have the water they need to live.

Moana of Motonui, wayfinder and friend of the ocean saved her people by protecting and healing nature. Are you ready to follow in Moana’s footsteps? Come, journey with water -Journey of Water signage

RAIN – Our Cycle Begins

Born as drops of water high in the sky, rain falls from the clouds to the earth. It renews everything it touches.

Eager to explore, this gentle water tumbles down mountains, filling the world with its happy music.

Its song invites us to play and relax.

Does water call you? What parts of the water cycle can you enjoy in your community? Dance in the rain, visit the ocean, or tell your family about a local lake or stream. Share your love of water! -Journey of Water sign

Looks like fun!

wserratore1963

I like GOTG too and think they did a great job with it...The problem is there is nothing coming next...the "next" was all cancelled and the discussion is over... Heck they have not even finished the central core they began building 4 years ago...which will just be a park with trees and some art.
Evolving...yes, but so painfully slowly, and with little to no net gain. They need someone with a real vision for the parks and an understanding of what they are, were, and could be moving forward... All we know now is the plans were not amazing and then bit by bit were cancelled... So...the big reimagining of Epcot is trees in the central hub and a splash pad water walk-through...
I respect your opinion and point of view; I just can't buy into the "sky is falling" & "it's over " mentality. Walt had plenty of flops in his life. You don't let it keep it down; you press on; especially when you really believe in something.
Too many naysayers here who wish, hope & pray for the end. Not sure why - but everyone is entitled to their thoughts and opinions.

The plans were amazing but they were changed, altered and defunded.

So we just give up all hope?
This is a bad spot yes; but the company has been there before. Remember the early 80's before Eisner? This is not nearly as bad and if you think any corporation that has spent as much & effort as Disney has is just going to stop and give up ( although that seems to be the desire of many on this forum) you are all sadly mistaken.

Disney will rebound and be around for a long time with many more NEXTS.
I'm astounded by how many people say the love this place and every announcement is met with negative comments.
Yes a healthy discussion is important; yes they botched the rebuild but the ship will correct it's course and despite the negativity here, there are plenty of people who will continue to come, bring there family and pass along the memories to the next generation.
There are plenty of people with Vision in the company; what they need is autonomy and the budget to build without bean counting.

I remain a believer and will continue to be optimistic about this place as long as I am still breathing. I am thrilled the Walls are coming down. Can't wait to actually walk through this area with my family.

lazyboy97o

I respect your opinion and point of view; I just can't buy into the "sky is falling" & "it's over " mentality. Walt had plenty of flops in his life. You don't let it keep it down; you press on; especially when you really believe in something.
Too many naysayers here who wish, hope & pray for the end. Not sure why - but everyone is entitled to their thoughts and opinions.

The plans were amazing but they were changed, altered and defunded.

So we just give up all hope?
This is a bad spot yes; but the company has been there before. Remember the early 80's before Eisner? This is not nearly as bad and if you think any corporation that has spent as much & effort as Disney has is just going to stop and give up ( although that seems to be the desire of many on this forum) you are all sadly mistaken.

Disney will rebound and be around for a long time with many more NEXTS.
I'm astounded by how many people say the love this place and every announcement is met with negative comments.
Yes a healthy discussion is important; yes they botched the rebuild but the ship will correct it's course and despite the negativity here, there are plenty of people who will continue to come, bring there family and pass along the memories to the next generation.
There are plenty of people with Vision in the company; what they need is autonomy and the budget to build without bean counting.

I remain a believer and will continue to be optimistic about this place as long as I am still breathing. I am thrilled the Walls are coming down. Can't wait to actually walk through this area with my family.
So they botched the project but we should be excited because they might do something better later?

Disney's projects cost a fortune. The budgets aren't a limiting problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom