Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Disstevefan1

Where exactly was a queue confirmed? Must have missed that.

Either way, I think it's fundamentally a bit different from the Treehouse based on what we can see of the layout at the moment. There seem to be at least two places (perhaps more) where the path splits, and the art does not indicate that people can or will be funneled through these areas in any specific order. These areas include the bridge and adjacent rock path after the first series of alcoves and the three-way branch for the leaping fountains, in-ground fountains, and express exit. I have to imagine having organic multidirectional paths like that will invite walk-backs and lingering, particularly if people are expected to stop at the water's edge at various vantage points to wave around magic bands. Meanwhile, the Treehouse has very few places where you can step off to the side and no place at all where multiple pathways exist to encourage doubling back.
I think once the newness is gone and everyone has seen what it is, Moana will be very peaceful, quiet, uncrowded, place to reflect and of course check your Genie app.

I wonder if they will have built charge ports into the fake rock?

Sir_Cliff

Where exactly was a queue confirmed? Must have missed that.
Looking at the concept art again, you are right that it just seems to show people milling around out the front rather than an organised queue. I guess we'll see how it turns out, but I would have assumed that the trail having single entry and exit points meant they would be regulating how many people are in there at a given time in some way.

Either way, I think it's fundamentally a bit different from the Treehouse based on what we can see of the layout at the moment. There seem to be at least two places (perhaps more) where the path splits, and the art does not indicate that people can or will be funneled through these areas in any specific order. These areas include the bridge and adjacent rock path after the first series of alcoves and the three-way branch for the leaping fountains, in-ground fountains, and express exit. I have to imagine having organic multidirectional paths like that will invite walk-backs and lingering, particularly if people are expected to stop at the water's edge at various vantage points to wave around magic bands. Meanwhile, the Treehouse has very few places where you can step off to the side and no place at all where multiple pathways exist to encourage doubling back.
The details are still a little vague, but at least my reading of it is as an activity trail more than a quiet place you would stop and contemplate the scenery for any significant amount of time. Not exactly analogous to the Treehouse as you have activities to do along the way, but from the looks of the art and the aerial pictures it seems to me like you're supposed to be moving along and doing things the whole time rather than there being spaces carved out for quiet contemplation. I guess we shall see!

James Alucobond

The details are still a little vague, but at least my reading of it is as an activity trail more than a quiet place you would stop and contemplate the scenery for any significant amount of time. Not exactly analogous to the Treehouse as you have activities to do along the way, but from the looks of the art and the aerial pictures it seems to me like you're supposed to be moving along and doing things the whole time rather than there being spaces carved out for quiet contemplation. I guess we shall see!
Oh, for sure. Of course, I'd hesitate to call anything in Disney World contemplative, but as you say, I very much doubt the space will be designed for people to just wander in and sit down. It's a directed trail you're supposed to move through. I just think it will be much more at-your-own-pace than the Treehouse, where you pretty much have to move at the speed of traffic unless you want to press yourself against the railing.

retr0gate

If this does end up like the Swiss Family Treehouse... what's wrong with that? I'm kind of glad EPCOT is getting a walkthrough attraction akin to the treehouse. The park needs some diversity in its offerings. It's utilizing a space that more or less functioned as a "walkthrough" before, in a way that ensures longevity and could very well become a staple of the park in the same way that Swiss Family Treehouse is. The IP tie in is there, and not necessarily subtle, but the IP is not really the draw. I'm not saying 50 years from now Moana will be as obscure as Swiss Family Robinson, but I can certainly see Journey of Water adapting an identity of its own, separate from the movie. The attraction looks to be designed in a way that would make it very easy to retheme it to whatever Disney's next big water-centric IP will be (or even remove the IP altogether, albeit unlikely). The intrusion of IP here is no less disruptive than many of the original attraction sponsors of EPCOT Center.

Incomudro

If this does end up like the Swiss Family Treehouse... what's wrong with that? I'm kind of glad EPCOT is getting a walkthrough attraction akin to the treehouse. The park needs some diversity in its offerings. It's utilizing a space that more or less functioned as a "walkthrough" before, in a way that ensures longevity and could very well become a staple of the park in the same way that Swiss Family Treehouse is. The IP tie in is there, and not necessarily subtle, but the IP is not really the draw. I'm not saying 50 years from now Moana will be as obscure as Swiss Family Robinson, but I can certainly see Journey of Water adapting an identity of its own, separate from the movie. The attraction looks to be designed in a way that would make it very easy to retheme it to whatever Disney's next big water-centric IP will be (or even remove the IP altogether, albeit unlikely). The intrusion of IP here is no less disruptive than many of the original attraction sponsors of EPCOT Center.
I agree.
And it won't be as impassable as the Treehouse, because the paths are not a narrow set of stairs lined with railings.
I don't think the tie in to Moana is much of a thing at all really.

Casper Gutman

I think the reason posters are having so much trouble determining what Moana is supposed to be is that it’s function is fundamentally confused and unclear. It’s neither one thing or the other… which is part of the problem. Given the incredibly confused, inefficient, unfocused development process that produced it, I suspect a lot of the designers aren’t totally sure what it’s function is meant to be. It’s original “function” was to occupy space not taken up by the CEOs pet meeting center to make it look like someone had a plan, and no one seemed to care beyond that. Now? In the end, it will be whatever ops says it is on any given day.

SilentWindODoom

How hard can it be to not post in a thread when you have no actual news to share and simply want to throw out the same petulant comments over and over again?

Don't worry about him. He's been doing that across a bunch of threads. Another user said that he's a ban evading user who just pops in to do just this.

Although I feel like I've learned something of the character of the user who took his side. 🤣

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Another user said that he's a ban evading user who just pops in to do just this.
I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

I used to be very critical of his posts, but, at this point, I don't think he has the personal resources to engage in a constructive way. And so, quick and benign deflection or outright disengagement would be the best solution.

Disstevefan1

EatingPopcorn.gif

Casper Gutman

Man, when I think “Walt Disney World Resort,” the first word that springs to mind is “tarps.”

“I hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a tarp.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom