Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Just sayin'. I get that people love calling it "Journey of Dirt" or whatever, but that's just naturally how it's going to look until it's pretty close to the finish line. It doesn't mean progress isn't being made. The pace of this project has picked up immensely recently.
We know. It's just more fun calling it "Journey of Dirt" or whatever. Nobody wants this.

James Alucobond

Nobody wants this.
I don't think that's necessarily true. People are just annoyed about where it is and what it's replaced. It's not that most people completely hate the attraction; they just wish it were farther southwest and that the whole of CommuniCore remained. Two separate issues, undoubtedly intertwined, but that doesn't stop me from being interested in seeing the finished product.

doctornick

We know. It's just more fun calling it "Journey of Dirt" or whatever. Nobody wants this.

As I have said when this was announced and throughout this thread, I think this looks like a solid addition to Epcot - will bring some beautiful greenery and water features, add some edutainment, provide a quality pre-show/compliment to the Seas and looks to be a low key/reasonable integration of IP. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

When it was announced, I truly thought this would be pretty widely accepted by Epcot purists. I didn't realize the attachment people had to Innoventions and symmetry. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

As I have said when this was announced and throughout this thread, I think this looks like a solid addition to Epcot - will bring some solid greenery and water features, add some edutainment, provide a solid pre-show/compliment to the Seas and looks to be a low key/reasonable integration of IP. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

When it was announced, I truly thought this would be pretty widely accepted by Epcot purists. I didn't realize the attachment people had to Innoventions and symmetry. 🤷‍♀️
Organization of space is a major aspect of how themed designed works.

Incomudro

I believe that once the components are in the ground to support water flow, the structure may go up rather quickly.
It's some rock work - the taller features grids may have already been built, or are being built - plus paving and planting.
We usually see that sort of stuff come together at a good rate.

Bocabear

It's not that most people completely hate the attraction; they just wish it were farther southwest and that the whole of CommuniCore remained. Two separate issues, undoubtedly intertwined, but that doesn't stop me from being interested in seeing the finished product.
I don't think anyone even knows what this attraction is going to be yet... The artwork is not clear, the map views make it look more like a water playground...It's just drawings of people reacting to splashing water and a large waterfall at the entrance...
I agree about wishing it were somewhere else...completely...and there are many places in the other parks it would work beautifully... Well whatever it actually ends up being...lol

Casper Gutman

As I said elsewhere, if this were simply an addition that appeared after relatively quick and unobtrusive construction, something akin to Universal’s Springfield expansion, it would be a lovely bit of plussing. Instead, it’s inexplicably a key element of a ballyhooed makeover of a broken park that’s been hyped for years, the primary product of an incredibly intrusive multi-year construction project that has torn out several longstanding structures and shut down a third of a full-price park. That kind of hype and disruption MIGHT be warranted if this were a multi-attraction new land instead of a small landscaping feature. That’s why the whole project feels so absurd and incoherent.

Animaniac93-98

As I said elsewhere, if this were simply an addition that appeared after relatively quick and unobtrusive construction, something akin to Universal’s Springfield expansion, it would be a lovely bit of plussing. Instead, it’s inexplicably a key element of a ballyhooed makeover of a broken park that’s been hyped for years, the primary product of an incredibly intrusive multi-year construction project that has torn out several longstanding structures and shut down a third of a full-price park. That kind of hype and disruption MIGHT be warranted if this were a multi-attraction new land instead of a small landscaping feature. That’s why the whole project feels so absurd and incoherent.

Most of EPCOT 2.0 is shallow and pointless in its overall accomplishments. Despite all that money and construction, we're only getting two new rides (one clone and one replacement). The rest is all lateral changes to operations and/or capacity.

When all is said and done we'll still be stuck with the current versions of Seas and Imagination, hardly any increase to capacity, no more cohesion to the park's message, etc. The best new thing may be the Space restaurant.

That's why they have to hype every single change like Journey of Water. It's all part of the "grand plan" that isn't all that grand.

They probably could have spent the same amount of money or less just updating all the existing pavilions.

Casper Gutman

The lights on SpaceShip Earth are quite cool. I know, that's sad in some ways.
Yup. I'm fairly certain those will remain the best element of the "makeover."

The MGM makeover was woefully underwhelming in many ways - it was cut to the bone, didn't increase capacity enough, made baffling choices (MMRR in GMR, not Animation Courtyard; no restaurant in SWL), and left the stagnant stage shows untouched... but it DID make the park better. The EPCOT makeover, taking place in a park that (amazingly) needs even more help then MGM did, won't even clear that bar. It's just a series of seemingly random, largely unimpressive changes or additions. Its a monument to inadequate leadership.

Centauri Space Station

The lights on SpaceShip Earth are quite cool. I know, that's sad in some ways.
They are but I would say the revitalized entrance, Space 220, Ratatouille, Harmonious, Awesome planet, Canada Far and wide, Regal Eagle are all worthy additions and the new spine, Journey of water, Guardians, play, and new China movie are still in development.

Bocabear

They are but I would say the revitalized entrance, Space 220, Ratatouille, Harmonious, Awesome planet, Canada Far and wide, Regal Eagle are all worthy additions and the new spine, Journey of water, Guardians, play, and new China movie are still in development.
Well...A lot of that is not a groundbreaking addition but just refurbishment/refreshing of areas... Rat I think is a great addition to the lineup...Space 220 seems good...They needed a new nighttime show, and Regal Eagle is just a replacement from the lousy restaurant that was there... The destruction of the spine still feels pointless. Rat at least adds some new capacity which is needed...

Casper Gutman

Well...A lot of that is not a groundbreaking addition but just refurbishment/refreshing of areas... Rat I think is a great addition to the lineup...Space 220 seems good...They needed a new nighttime show, and Regal Eagle is just a replacement from the lousy restaurant that was there... The destruction of the spine still feels pointless. Rat at least adds some new capacity which is needed...
Yeah, I get too focused on Future World, since that was MY park growing up. Rat is a very good addition, even with its flaws.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom