Journey into Imagination

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Things I have noticed;

The second pyramid appears to have a lower floor level than the main pyramid, indicating a lower floor level

There appears to be a balcony protruding west out the rear of the smaller pyramid (by the toilets)

The Imageworks were housed in a building on top of the attraction roof level, ie another story up, that covered only a small part of the pavilion

I don`t think the unknown area (in yellow) in the main pyramid was as big as I`ve sketched, but there is certainly a large unknown upper area in yellow in the 2nd pyramid.

And I`m meant to be editing Wonders of China right now..... :lol:

General Grizz

Beautiful, Marni!

The "balcony" would be right under here:
ff.jpg

Perhaps it is used for crews to replace the flowers along the edges of the pavilion (notice ladder)?

General Grizz

Also, marni: I assume the red in the diagram is the ROOF of the Image Works?

Finally, I recall two other entrances two the IW - one on the same wall as the main entrance and another on the adjacent wall - which didn't have marquees.

I know there is also a backstage door along the adjacent wall I just mentioned which lead to a break room/dressing room for the Dreamfinder. . .

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - the red is Imageworks roof, the area immiediately below it is the actual `room`. The 3rd Imageworks entrance must have been on the large pyramids South wall - I thought I`d made the Imageworks `room` to small (needs to go further east. Damn. I forgot to draw a compass - hope you all can follow - North is to the bottom right of the sketch!)

Interesting about the balcony - I have an Image that seems to make it appear to protrude a lot further. I`ll try to dig it out.

Edit - here it is, taken from The Lands entrance ramp. See how there appears to be a much larger flat area (with plants on) at the base of the pyramid?

Attachments

• balony.jpg
    balony.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 168

General Grizz

marni1971 said:
Yep - the red is Imageworks roof, the area immiediately below it is the actual `room`. The 3rd Imageworks entrance must have been on the large pyramids South wall - I thought I`d made the Imageworks `room` to small (needs to go further east. Damn. I forgot to draw a compass - hope you all can follow - North is to the bottom right of the sketch!)

Interesting about the balcony - I have an Image that seems to make it appear to protrude a lot further. I`ll try to dig it out.

Edit - here it is, taken from The Lands entrance ramp. See how there appears to be a much larger flat area (with plants on) at the base of the pyramid?
Very nice! :D

DarkMeasures

Marni is right. Grizz is wrong.

I should note that I actually hated the Journey into the Imagination ride when it was there. But I did love the old Imageworks and I have perfect knowledge of its location. I wonder though if for the next incarnation of the Imagination pavilian, if the ride building would be rebuilt or not. I mean there are so many new ride systems that tend to take up more room and the ride system used right now is almost the exact same as Disneyland's Peoplemover.

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
Well, I think we have stumbled upon something, we knew Eisner never liked the newer incarnations of the ride, maybe before the original's destruction, Eisner tried to save as much as possible so if the ride failed for any reason, there would be hope for a future redemption. I was thinking like a Figment's Birthday ride, reintroduce the Dreamfinder, re-use original scenes like when Figment is created and not by Nigel Channing, but by the Dreamfinder and then update the old Imageworks but also renew the classics like the Dreamfinder's Films and the Computer Camera's... that would just be me, maybe Eisner is smarter than we all give him credit for... (I'm not sticking up for him but you know how weird and mysterious he can be about everything).

Empress Room

jedimaster1227 said:
What do you think since it has been a day since the last reply?

So what is the consensus? Does the pavillion still house at least the skeleton of the old ride system and attraction (albeit modified by the new attraction) so as to allow a return to the original ride should management screw their heads on correctly?

Captain Hank

The track is still there and in use. There are extreemely few, if any, reminants of the old attraction components within the building, besides some re-used figures. There are other pieces and parts of the attraction in different places on property, but nowhere near all of it. It is possible that they could decide to go back to an attraction similar to the original JII, but there would probably be a greater probability of being struck by lightning while winning the lottery and simultaneously discovering the lost city of Atlantis.

Empress Room

hcwalker16 said:
It is possible that they could decide to go back to an attraction similar to the original JII, but there would probably be a greater probability of being struck by lightning while winning the lottery and simultaneously discovering the lost city of Atlantis.

I would assume, however, that if attendance figures are low and guest comments negative, something could and would probably be done. I am not sure about the Imagination's current level of popularity and guest response; however, Disney did act fairly quickly to address the first (and horrible) re-themeing of the attraction/ride. Does anyone know what guest reaction/attendance figures are?

With Epcot's 25th anniversary coming up, maybe they'll get all nostalgic on us and try to restore some of the pavillions to their opening-day heydays. Heck, they're doing a pretty nice job of it at Disneyland by all accounts.

Captain Hank

Don't get me wrong, I agree that something should be done with Imagination, and I do hope we get something equivalent to the quality of the original attraction, compared to what we have now. Here's hoping!

ChrisH9339

I think with Soarin, Mission Space and Test Track, Epcot is treating the Imagination Pavilion as a throwaway. It shows because Honey... and the Imagination ride rarely have any wait. If I were a betting man, I'd say they might re-open the upstairs for Epcot's 25th, but I wouldn't hold my breath on another ride reincarnation, since it's already had 2 in the last 5 years and there's a myriad of other things at WDW that need attention.

pat in the hat

Amazing . . .

I am amazed at how some of you know every little measurement, layout, and change in announcements, music, signage, etc. I've been there 20-some times (though spread out over the years) and have a difficult time envisioning even certain elements of the attractions at times. I do enjoy reading your explanations! :wave:

I just have one question, if that was "ladder" spotted in that photo, where is chair? :lookaroun

jmuboy

The Imagination ride hardly has a wait.....ever. It's a CUTE ride (I loved the orginal) and Figment is a FANTASTIC franchise for Disney....and they finally relaize that. The best we can hope for (and what should be done) is to continue to PLUS the current ride with more to see and a few more AA's! It can't hurt Dsieny to invest 10 million or so into the ride when you consider how much money they make off of Figment. Plus, they could market it to all us Figment/Epcot/WDW geeks as "new scenes added" and we'd eat it up like flies to honey.

jmuboy

One more point I forgot to make. Lets assume that part of the original Journey ride were left intact when Journey 2 was created (which I don't believe is true). But, assume it was true - then most likely they would have been used those "saved/hidden" parts in Journey 3 when they were reworking the ride.

But, like I said, the original parts of the ride were all removed. The Imagineers who created Journey 2 were pompus and full of themselves and saw no use for Journey 2. It was allll scrapped. A few AA's and such were stored (that is where the current Figment AA's came from) but that's it.

jedimaster1227

Original Poster
It has seemed that my last thread on JII, Journey Into Imagination Building has returned to popularity after amonth's hiatus, please make sure to put all replies conscerning that thread on here due to the fact that there is another post on the same subject that everyone is now participating in...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom