Journey Into Imagination refurb.

RSoxNo1

Chandu the tiger from Sinbad? What are the others? Disney Sea Tower Of Terror? I agree the special characters created for the park are a better souvenir...makes it more unique and more memorable...You can buy fab 5 Disney plush in any store or WalMart...
Yeah, Chandu from Sindbad and Shiriki Utundu from Tower of Terror.

Bocabear

Yeah, Chandu from Sindbad and Shiriki Utundu from Tower of Terror.
Love those, and again, I am not sure why except for laziness Disney ever did away with unique park specific merchandise... I am hoping Potter has taught them that people LOVE specific merchandise for specific attractions/parks, not the same generic Disney crap we see everywhere including WalMart...

RSoxNo1

Love those, and again, I am not sure why except for laziness Disney ever did away with unique park specific merchandise... I am hoping Potter has taught them that people LOVE specific merchandise for specific attractions/parks, not the same generic Disney crap we see everywhere including WalMart...
People like the generic crap, that's why. If they can sell one more Mickey plush than Chandu plush they're going to put the Mickey plush in it's place.

Bocabear

People like the generic crap, that's why. If they can sell one more Mickey plush than Chandu plush they're going to put the Mickey plush in it's place.
Maybe....but I think people buy what is available and thrown in their face. If they bring in specific merchandise, it will sell... especially if it replaces the generic crap. People want to bring something home that reminds them of their vacation...If they have a Chandu plush and you loved the Sinbad attraction, would you buy the generic "Disney Plush" or the Chandu Plush...I think that the majority would choose the more specific...and likewise you may buy more plush because that one was for one of the three attractions you loved the most...might want a Shiruku Plush and a Captain Mickey Tokyo Disney Sea Plush... If it's all just the usual generic, i don't think people are as motivated to buy...

RSoxNo1

Maybe....but I think people buy what is available and thrown in their face. If they bring in specific merchandise, it will sell... especially if it replaces the generic crap. People want to bring something home that reminds them of their vacation...If they have a Chandu plush and you loved the Sinbad attraction, would you buy the generic "Disney Plush" or the Chandu Plush...I think that the majority would choose the more specific...and likewise you may buy more plush because that one was for one of the three attractions you loved the most...might want a Shiruku Plush and a Captain Mickey Tokyo Disney Sea Plush... If it's all just the usual generic, i don't think people are as motivated to buy...
Don't get me wrong, I hated the merchandise offerings in Tokyo. I wound up buying a cookie tin that said Pooh's Hunny Hunt and a Mickey plush wearing a Mira Costa bellhop outfit. Then, when I got home I had a friend make the shirts that I actually wanted on Redbubble. Not offering Shiriki Utundu figures in the Tower of Terror gift shop is beyond stupid.

Having said that, the Japanese people love their characters and love dressing up Duffy and his friends. That is the bulk of the merchandise and they had no problems selling it.

No Name

Based on the recent rumors and the money being spent maybe this project will get pushed up and something get done that is actually awesome for this pavilion. I have come to terms that figment is not going to be here forever. Unless they allow designers free rein on a awesome ride minus ip.

Figment is the IP. The truth is, Figment is a stronger and more popular character than most replacement options they have. Dreamfinder, not as much, but Figment... certainly.

I wonder how many people have ridden the Imagination pavillion ride vs how many have seen Inside Out. And on that topic, how many people know of and like Figment vs. how many know of and like Joy, Sadness, etc.

Add in the fact that Figment holds historic and nostalgic value and I don't think there is a better choice. I think even Bob IPger knows that.

RoysCabin

Very interesting discussion. I have to think that a larger number of people would go for the "generic" merch (let's not forget that many people only get to go to the parks a couple of times, so they want the souvenirs that instantly shout "Disney"), but I agree that a part of that is how folks are conditioned, so to speak, by what's being pushed most around them. I know the days of super-specialty shops at the parks are likely over (e.g. the silversmith at Liberty Square), but if you kind of train the crowd to only ever anticipate a Mickey or Pooh plush, that's what they'll likely gravitate toward.

However, another good point here: what's the harm in offering perhaps a smaller batch of merch for less mainstream park characters? The goal should be to cast a very wide net and have as many people leaving the parks with strong attachments to their experiences, so catering to the many diffuse parts of the parks' fanbases via merchandise more specific to a given attraction makes plenty of sense, I'd think. Obviously it takes money to create merchandise, but there's a payoff in developing that sense of loyalty among fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom