Journey Into Imagination Building

Goofette

CheshireFigment said:
When the Imagination Pavilion first opened it consisted of three parts.

The first was the ride "Journey Into Imagination" (JII), where you met The Dreamfinder and te Figment, who was a "figment of Dreamfinder's imagination". After getting off the ride you took either the escalator or elevator upstairs to the "Imageworks", which was described as a "playground for the mind". Then you went into the "Magic Eye" theater, where you saw the 3D Kodak film: "Making Memories".

A few years after opening Making Memories was replaced by the 3D Michael Jackson film "Captain EO". However there was still the sequence of going on the JII ride, going through the Imageworks, and then into the queue for the Magic Eye Theater.

Then the Magic Eye theater was reworked to be referred to as "4D" with effects for the audience and Captain EO was replaced by "Honey I Shrunk the Audience". At this time the queue for the theater was moved from inside after the Imageworks to outside.

The change to the queue, and the downplaying of JII, led to Dreamfinder and Figment dropping from the 2nd favorite attraction in Epcot (after Spaceship Earth) to about 7th or 8th.

Thanks for clearing up a few things for me. I know when I was there in 1986 I saw the 3D film Making Memories and Magic Journey, although sadly I can barely only remember tiny clips of these. Then when we were there in 1992 it was Captain EO. Sadly when I was finally able to take my daughter in 2002 I didn't know that JII was closed down for refurb until I started coming to these boards before my trip and I was so upset. JII was something I couldn't wait to share with her. I did take her to see Honey I Shrunk the Audience though, and I felt so sad looking towards the area we would have entered to see JII and Imageworks. Until this thread I thought Imageworks was still there, that just the ride itself had changed. Thank you all for making it a little more clear for me. I'm actually glad I didn't see the JIYI without figment, but I still can't imagine what it'll be like without dreamfinder :cry: You can imagine my horror when I realized Horizons was gone...but that's for another thread.

One more question. Did Imageworks change any from 86 to 92? Also, is there anywhere online that I can see the Movies "Making Memories" and "Magic Journey" I can't get to the right Disney Central, so if someone could pm me a link that would be great! Thanks, and sorry for so many questions. :wave:

DisneySaint

I'm still wanting to know where these pictures of ImageWorks went and why they disappeared? They were great! Some Disney bigwig had to have come on here and said they wanted them removed; or the original semi-anonymous poster was PMed and told his/her job was in jeopardy if he didn't take them down immediately?

Legacy

DisneyJoey said:
I'm still wanting to know where these pictures of ImageWorks went and why they disappeared? They were great! Some Disney bigwig had to have come on here and said they wanted them removed; or the original semi-anonymous poster was PMed and told his/her job was in jeopardy if he didn't take them down immediately?
Or... Steve took it down because Disney could close down the site if they were posted on here.

Kwit35

Goofette said:
Also, is there anywhere online that I can see the Movies "Making Memories" and "Magic Journey" I can't get to the right Disney Central, so if someone could pm me a link that would be great! Thanks, and sorry for so many questions. :wave:
Ditto, I have the music for both, but would love to see the videos. I know that making memories was a slide show, but would still like to see it.

Goofette

Kwit35 said:
Ditto, I have the music for both, but would love to see the videos. I know that making memories was a slide show, but would still like to see it.

Do you mind if I ask where you found the music. I would love to have anything that would trigger that memory. I thought I had a VCR tape of it from the old Video Cameras, but I realized I didn't have my camera when I went then, it was the trip when Captain EO was there. Thanks!

Kwit35

Goofette said:
Do you mind if I ask where you found the music. I would love to have anything that would trigger that memory. I thought I had a VCR tape of it from the old Video Cameras, but I realized I didn't have my camera when I went then, it was the trip when Captain EO was there. Thanks!
I 'aquired' it. :lookaroun My brother gave it to me. :) I am at work now, but will put it somewhere you can download it later.

Goofette

Kwit35 said:
I 'aquired' it. :lookaroun My brother gave it to me. :) I am at work now, but will put it somewhere you can download it later.

That's Great Thanks so much! Now....Get Back To Work!! :D (As I'm saying this to myself :animwink: )

Jerm

Chape19714 said:
The Escalator still exists, I saw it running the other day.

What escalator??? They had a elevator and stairs. As far as the up staris go if you want to see as much as any normal guest can take the Undiscovered Future World tour. They take you up there tell you about some of the stuff that is no longer in the park and let you play with the old pin tables (year and a half ago). When asked about seeing the rest of the upstairs it was a big no due to, as grizz said, insurance. If you want to see some good video and get more info on all this check out this site http://www.figmentsimagination.com/ it is one of the best.

J

CheshireFigment

Originally Posted by DisneyJoey

Originally Posted by Legacy
Or... Steve took it down because Disney could close down the site if they were posted on here.

I think it was a little of both. The area is not visible to the public. A few months ago I was attending a group function upstairs in the old Imageworks and most of it was blocked off.

It is not like a picture of Expedition Everest, which is easily visible from public areas.

It was either taken by a guest who definitely was not where allowed, or by a CM who was doing something there and not authorized to take or post photos of a backstage area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Jerm said:
What escalator??? They had a elevator and stairs. J

There was also an escalator or speedramp (anyone clarify which?) to go both up and down - as you entered the pyramid in the ride queue one was in the far right hand side, infront of load the other along the far back `wall`, infront of merch.

Jerm

marni1971 said:
There was also an escalator or speedramp (anyone clarify which?) to go both up and down - as you entered the pyramid in the ride queue one was in the far right hand side, infront of load the other along the far back `wall`, infront of merch.

Wow I need to see pics of the old queue area I don't remember that at all.

J

zone15int

You can catch a piece of the "old" Imagination pavillion when you go to the comedy wharehouse at Pleasure Island. In the entrance foyer there is a sign that says "Follow Figment to Magic Journeys" and at the bottom it used to say "Presented by Kodak," but its scraped off.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
teco@email.com said:
Where was the original load and unload areas in this diagram? I can't place it.

I`ve updated the (hastily) put together digram - look again :)

Jerm said:
Wow I need to see pics of the old queue area I don't remember that at all.

My bad - they were escalators, but they were on the 2 outer wall sides of the pyramid (north and east sides) - I just checked the blueprints. Up to The Imageworks was on the north side, down from was on the east side.
Here is the underside of one (wohoo!) and look at the far side of the pyramid - you can see the `down` escalator:

Attachments

• imag esc1.jpg
    imag esc1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 267
  • imag esc2.jpg
    imag esc2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 257

tecowdw

Thanks for updating the diagram! Super job! :sohappy:

Now...all this discussion and particularly the pictures of Imageworks is making me VERY homesick for it! :cry:

Why oh why did they have to go and change it?!?!?! :(
I don't necesarily mind when they "add" or "change" things but to abandon and leave areas deserted is just painful! :eek:

beanboon

Next time you go, look for a hallway just inside the front doors and to your immediate left. This is a shortcut to the gift shop at the end of the attraction, and the UP escalator is still there.

It's pretty exciting looking up as you can see some of the old color scheme up on the ceiling.

No way can you go up there though, they have a VERY thorough cage around that escalator.

GymLeaderPhil

ntn_haqqer: It has come to my attention that another website has been stealing my images that I post here at WDWMagic without credit or approval. Please contact me to find out further details at phil@philfile.com, if interested.

Goofette

GymLeaderPhil said:
ntn_haqqer: It has come to my attention that another website has been stealing my images that I post here at WDWMagic without credit or approval. Please contact me to find out further details at phil@philfile.com, if interested.

Are your images being stolen? I wasn't sure what that meant. Did you want us to look out for them or were you just telling us. Sorry, I'm a little confused :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom