Jim Hill strikes again PART II-Night Kingdom?

cbmartin

i wonder if the concept art from last year is what the park will look like??? because almost everything on the list has been announced AND the art does kinda fit in!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am not sure what to even think. Could this park continually be 100% capacity? Yes, but is that enough for it to be profitable?

Just the cost of employing 4000 people at an assumed total cost of $100 per day salary plus insurance, disability averaged for all would be $400,000 per day and this number is most likely low. The park would run @ 60% capacity for the first 2 years which would be $360,000 per day income using the $300.00 per day admission #. This is not including overhead like electric, water, sewer, free food for guests, food for animals, maintenance and the list goes on and on. The third year they would have an operating income of $480,000 and finally $600,000 starting the forth year. I look at these numbers and find this story hard to believe. I am not sure what WDC requires the ROI for a project like this, but it would be well past my lifetime unless they add more guests of dramatically increase pricing.

Would I visit the park? Probably, but it would depend on the total cost for my family. It is tough thinking about a 1/2 days worth of entertainment for $1000.00 +.
Personally I think the CM staffing numbers are a little inflated. You simply do not need that many CM's to make the experience wroth the price tag. Sure it would be great to have my very own personal servants while I was there but it is not something that I would require.

Disney MDACK

I can't see spending another $250 per person for this. Another theme park would do better for someone like me but I suppose this makes them more money in the long run and that is what it is all about.

PhilharMagician

Personally I think the CM staffing numbers are a little inflated. You simply do not need that many CM's to make the experience wroth the price tag. Sure it would be great to have my very own personal servants while I was there but it is not something that I would require.

All of the CM's won't be front line where you see them. How m any will be behind the scenes as animal keepers, maintenance, janitorial, horticultural (which according to the article will be huge for the proposed park) food service, managment and there must be many others.

I believe the won't be the 2 on 1 type personal servants, but I also don't think that number is far from real.

Does anyone know what the approx number of CM's are working in each park on a average day??:shrug:

Fun2BFree

I for one welcome our new Night Kingdom overlords. :D

Flashback to the 1950s: Disneyland was almost universally panned when it was proposed, and then when it was opened. Many scoffed at the idea that someone that Walt Disney would open a tacky and dirty theme park. You could do any of the rides Disneyland opened with somewhere else. But the difference is that Walt did them better. Even though Disneyland opened quite disastrously, in a number of years it picked up, and now has spawned a travel empire encompassing the world.

Back to Night Kingdom: Though you can do many of these attractions elsewhere, I have confidence that Disney can do them better and just differently enough to pack the park every night. It's a very low risk venture anyhow, with most of the cast from AK switching to NK at night, fairly cheap yet unique experiences, and if it doesn't work, no big deal. Disney can close it and it will fade into the landscape like Discovery Island.

Enderikari

Yes, yes we can. New current park e-tickets, dark rides, refurbs, land expansions, etc.

I'm sorry, you don't have enough information to base any proposed spending on any of the stockholders money, and the feasibility studies of adding/subtracting anything from the park. Essentially, all you have to base your "wants" on is the "wow, this is so cool!" aspects that people who actually have to make real decisions in the best interests of ALL GUESTS, and ALL the Cast, and the stockholders as well.

sittle

I'm sorry, you don't have enough information to base any proposed spending on any of the stockholders money, and the feasibility studies of adding/subtracting anything from the park. Essentially, all you have to base your "wants" on is the "wow, this is so cool!" aspects that people who actually have to make real decisions in the best interests of ALL GUESTS, and ALL the Cast, and the stockholders as well.

....but if he can dream it... he can do it...

Enderikari

....but if he can dream it... he can do it...

Sure thing, if he wants to build his own theme park, with attractions just for him, and is willing to work hard enough at it, then more power to him, because he made his dreams a reality. Wasn't that really what Roy Disney did?

jt04

Enderikari, since you seem to be "in the know", do they plan to use any of AK's expansion areas for the new park? Where exactly would the park be built? Thanks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I for one welcome our new Night Kingdom overlords. :D

Flashback to the 1950s: Disneyland was almost universally panned when it was proposed, and then when it was opened. Many scoffed at the idea that someone that Walt Disney would open a tacky and dirty theme park. You could do any of the rides Disneyland opened with somewhere else. But the difference is that Walt did them better. Even though Disneyland opened quite disastrously, in a number of years it picked up, and now has spawned a travel empire encompassing the world.

Back to Night Kingdom: Though you can do many of these attractions elsewhere, I have confidence that Disney can do them better and just differently enough to pack the park every night. It's a very low risk venture anyhow, with most of the cast from AK switching to NK at night, fairly cheap yet unique experiences, and if it doesn't work, no big deal. Disney can close it and it will fade into the landscape like Discovery Island.
I for some strange reason it doesnt work all they would have to do is open the doors at 9:00 and BAM! instant AK expansion.

sanctumsolitude

Disney can close it and it will fade into the landscape like Discovery Island.

Discovery Island didn't cost $520 million.

I still am sincerely hoping this is just an Animal Kingdom expansion. It is a lot more tempting if it was an expansion than if it was a stand alone park. Animal Kingdom already closes at 5pm on some days.

Consider this: $300 per person for admission to Animal Kingdom, lunch at a counter service, extra seven hours in the park after closing where you can interact with the animals, go on a nighttime safari, walk around the savannah, pet some penguins, feed some hippos, explore some bat caves, climb some rocks and have dinner at one of two new table service restaurants. Doesn't that sound tempting?

Or: $75 for a one day admission to Animal Kingdom with its new penguin exhibit (only get to look), bat caves (visible from afar), other new animals, and two new restaurants. Sounds good too.

To me, adding on to Animal Kingdom seems like a lot less riskier than building it by itself. If it fails by itself, there is no real quick fix. If it fails as a part of Animal Kingdom, well, you just have some more things to do at the least attended WDW theme park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Enderikari, since you seem to be "in the know", do they plan to use any of AK's expansion areas for the new park? Where exactly would the park be built? Thanks.
Enderikari is a greeter at my local Wall Mart....he knows nothing.:lookaroun:animwink:

Enderikari

Please just a hint as to where it would go, AK or near AK?

Obi-Wan Kenobi said:
He will learn patience...

obi-wan460.jpg

Enderikari

To which you replied:

In any event, I never stated whether I would like or dislike a night park in my original post. This time however, I stated my opinion. ;)

Hey, no worries man, the ability to change one's mind when presented with new information is a rare, and valuable trait that not too many people share. I'm on your side on this one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom