Jim Hill Media Article----Expedition Everest Special Effects

krankenstein

By the way, here's a pic of Joe and I from that day:
WDWspring2008136.jpg

I'm officially jealous! I wish I could've made it to the celebration...stupid college! :rolleyes:

good picture, btw

raven

What's he selling there? A book?

He had a limited edition Everest book that was just released that day. He signed it for me as well as the Disney Mountains book and a 10th Anniversary litho.

We were quite lucky because they cut off the line to of people to see him after 100 due to time restrictions. We were just in the right place at the right time I guess. :wave:

WDWspring2008137.jpg

mitchk

He had a limited edition Everest book that was just released that day. He signed it for me as well as the Disney Mountains book and a 10th Anniversary litho.

We were quite lucky because they cut off the line to of people to see him after 100 due to time restrictions. We were just in the right place at the right time I guess. :wave:

WDWspring2008137.jpg

That book has been around since EE first opened. I have one from my trip a few years back. It's funny because the book I have has the limited edition 10,000 red stamp on it. I guess they released 10,000 more:lol:. BTW, heres me and Joe.

picture.php

picture.php

Disneyfan1981

I didn't even know that there was a Yeti B Mode. I rode it 19 times over 12 days last summer and every time it was in A Mode. I'm kind of hoping that for my next visit he is still in A Mode....B Mode sounds like kind of a letdown.

grunter

The very first time I rode Expedition Everest, I didn't even know there was a yeti encounter on the way out. The lights were completely off during that last burst. We never saw the giant mountain creature.

This lead me to accidentally "lie" to my little nephew, telling him that we only see the yeti on a video screen midway through the ride. This encouraged him to board the train that was ahead of mine (with his father and grandfather). Wouldn't you know it? This second time through, I was totally shocked by the appearance of the giant animatronic and when we hit the gift shop, my poor little nephew was balling his eyes out, calling me a liar.

I never felt so horrible.

The very first time I rode Expedition Everest, I didn't even know there was a yeti encounter on the way out. The lights were completely off during that last burst. We never saw the giant mountain creature.

This lead me to accidentally "lie" to my little nephew, telling him that we only see the yeti on a video screen midway through the ride. This encouraged him to board the train that was ahead of mine (with his father and grandfather). Wouldn't you know it? This second time through, I was totally shocked by the appearance of the giant animatronic and when we hit the gift shop, my poor little nephew was balling his eyes out, calling me a liar.

I never felt so horrible.

Supposidly theres a level below B that is even worse than the strobe effect they do where pretty much nothing is working. This is what we hit on our first ride on everest, there was just basically some red eyes and lots of noise. Could barely make out the giant yeti. No strobe, no movement, nothing :(

donaldfan

Supposidly theres a level below B that is even worse than the strobe effect they do where pretty much nothing is working. This is what we hit on our first ride on everest, there was just basically some red eyes and lots of noise. Could barely make out the giant yeti. No strobe, no movement, nothing :(

That happened to us once -- nothing, just darkness. Was very disappointing. Alot of people got off the train saying "that was it?"

kc1296426

When the block brakes are initiated before the train goes into the Yeti AA room, the Yeti AA will shut off and the room will just be in pitch black. Maybe that's what happened your first time around?

And I know for a fact there is at least a A1, A2 mode, and a B mode. A1 is the top most mode, with ALL the effects of the Yeti AA room working, the lights, wind, the yeti, the motion of the yeti, everything. A2 is where the yeti is not fully capable of what it's designed to do, the movement is limited, no wind, dimmed show lights, not as cooler as A1. And you all know what B mode is. I'm not sure if there is other specific names for anything lower than a 'B mode', but that's all I know.

LongtimeReader

Well, I was there on the 10th Anniversary and all of the effects didn't work. We rode 3 times during that day and only the waterfall and Yeti were working. I've ridden E:E tons of times and have never seen the steam from the engines or the mist from the top of the mountain, nor did the bird work. So to say they turned it on just for Joe can't quiet be accurate because the effects must come and go whenever they want.

By the way, here's a pic of Joe and I from that day:
WDWspring2008136.jpg

I'm with you. I rode it once in the morning and once in the afternoon on the 10th and there was no mist, no steam, no bird, and no waterfall. Jim seems to be full of crap on this one.

TP2000

I'm confused why the big Imagineer in charge of Animal Kingdom doesn't live in Florida?!? :confused: If the guy lives and breathes Animal Kingdom, why isn't his home in Orlando somewhere?

I've seen Tony Baxter and John Lasseter walking around Disneyland repeatedly in recent months, once at the same time together. But then I've also seen Tony Baxter shopping at the Facconable store at South Coast Plaza a few times too, and I used to see him in traffic in Villa Park when he drove the Land Rover with the Indy themed personalized license plate.

Point is, the top executives and creative geniuses in charge of Disneyland live within a 20 minute drive of Disneyland or visit the place regularly enough to be spotted on a continual basis by casual observers.

Why isn't Joe Rohde living in Orlando and spending a lot of his time on the company clock in the park he supposedly is in charge of? :confused:

ImagineerAndy

I'm confused why the big Imagineer in charge of Animal Kingdom doesn't live in Florida?!? :confused: If the guy lives and breathes Animal Kingdom, why isn't his home in Orlando somewhere?

I've seen Tony Baxter and John Lasseter walking around Disneyland repeatedly in recent months, once at the same time together. But then I've also seen Tony Baxter shopping at the Facconable store at South Coast Plaza a few times too, and I used to see him in traffic in Villa Park when he drove the Land Rover with the Indy themed personalized license plate.

Point is, the top executives and creative geniuses in charge of Disneyland live within a 20 minute drive of Disneyland or visit the place regularly enough to be spotted on a continual basis by casual observers.

Why isn't Joe Rohde living in Orlando and spending a lot of his time on the company clock in the park he supposedly is in charge of? :confused:

Because WDI head offices are based in Glendale California, Florida WDI is only a satellite field office, this is the same for all of the theme parks. None of the conceptual design is done in WDW, all of the design and model making etc. is done in California and shipped out to the various locations. In the field offices are Imagineers who look after the daily operations, eg Graphic Artists, Painters, Sculptors etc. But Animal Kingdom's head design office, where all the magic happens is all done in CA.
Hope that helps.

TP2000

But Animal Kingdom's head design office, where all the magic happens is all done in CA.
Hope that helps.

It does help, and I thank you for the insight. But I guess I already knew all about the stuff here in SoCal. I live in OC, a few miles east of Disneyland.

I'm just surprised that a big Imagineer who supposedly lives and breathes Animal Kingdom doesn't live in Orlando. I had assumed he lived there, and was on WDW property weekly. Is it really just worker bees out in Orlando attending to small projects like new churro carts or remodeled buffeterias, while they wait for the big dogs to fly in on occasion to check out their work? Doesn't seem like a smart way to run a design business, especially when these big guys are going to profess to being the father and ceremonial leader of a specific park.

Again, I see Tony Baxter routinely in Disneyland. And I've seen John Lasseter several times too. I know the weather stinks in Orlando, but it would seem to me you would want someone higher up the totem pole out there five days a week on a consistent basis. :lol:

LongtimeReader

Uh, the weather hardly "stinks" in Orlando, it's just not as nice as Southern California. But really, where IS weather as nice as SoCal? Hehe.

Somehow I just don't buy that anyone is "fooling" anyone, my suspicion is that they are all aware of what goes on, and just have no control over the machine.

EpcotServo

When the block brakes are initiated before the train goes into the Yeti AA room, the Yeti AA will shut off and the room will just be in pitch black. Maybe that's what happened your first time around?

And I know for a fact there is at least a A1, A2 mode, and a B mode. A1 is the top most mode, with ALL the effects of the Yeti AA room working, the lights, wind, the yeti, the motion of the yeti, everything. A2 is where the yeti is not fully capable of what it's designed to do, the movement is limited, no wind, dimmed show lights, not as cooler as A1. And you all know what B mode is. I'm not sure if there is other specific names for anything lower than a 'B mode', but that's all I know.

It isn't an "A2" Mode, it's just you're entering an "A1" show late. You see, when you stop there, the Yeti HAS to go. (Because of the pneumatics has all that built up pressure.)

You're just entering the room in the 32 seconds those tanks are reseting for another go.

:wave:

darthjohnny

I'm just surprised that a big Imagineer who supposedly lives and breathes Animal Kingdom doesn't live in Orlando.

I know. I've thought about that as well. You would think that it would be a lot easier to know what is needed and work with the park if they lived in Florida, but I guess it's easier (and cheaper) to control projects when you work out of one central location.

TP2000

Uh, the weather hardly "stinks" in Orlando, it's just not as nice as Southern California. But really, where IS weather as nice as SoCal? Hehe.

Trust me, I know. Before I moved back to my native SoCal, I lived in southern Virginia, the lowcountry of South Carolina, and a small town north of Boston, Mass. Living in those three locations for years and years, there was only about two months out of each year in each location when I didn't ache for the nearly perfect climate of coastal SoCal.

Today in Anaheim was a perfect example of why I moved back to SoCal; a crystal clear blue sky day, light breeze, high around 74 degrees, with a humidity around 25%, and not a chance of rain until sometime in late November, 2008. Patio dining all over Disneyland, with outdoor dancing tonight in Tomorrowland and at Plaza Gardens. A magical late spring night at Disneyland.

So again I ask, the weather may be dramatically more crummy in Orlando, but why doesn't Joe Rohde have at least a stylish two bedroom condo to live in Orlando two weeks out of every month? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom