Jim Hill Media Article----Expedition Everest Special Effects

scasta86

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...erations-just-slipped-joe-rohde-a-mickey.aspx

Have you guys read JHM's new article which talks about the fact that certain effects on Everest that had not been working for a long time now (mist and fog, and the Yeti in A mode) were turned on because Joe Rohde would be at AK for the 10th Anniversary celebrations. I remember reading in this board that these effects were working around the same time. Can anyone confirm or deny whether these effects have been turned off again?

krankenstein

I know whenever I rode Everest on May 19th the steam from the train at load was working, waterfall A was on, The mist floating from the very top of the mountain was on (not the ice tunnel mist) and Yeti was in A mode. B waterfall, ice tunnel mist, and bird on a stick were the only items I didn't see running.

Jim said the Yeti went running B mode late last week. My experience was obviously the Monday of last week, so things might have changed since than. I can't say for sure.

Slowjack

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...erations-just-slipped-joe-rohde-a-mickey.aspx

Have you guys read JHM's new article which talks about the fact that certain effects on Everest that had not been working for a long time now (mist and fog, and the Yeti in A mode) were turned on because Joe Rohde would be at AK for the 10th Anniversary celebrations. I remember reading in this board that these effects were working around the same time. Can anyone confirm or deny whether these effects have been turned off again?
The thing is, I thought the mist effect that started up recently was a NEW effect, not the same as the fog in the tunnel which was there when the ride began? Anyone confirm or deny?

krankenstein

The thing is, I thought the mist effect that started up recently was a NEW effect, not the same as the fog in the tunnel which was there when the ride began? Anyone confirm or deny?

Same here, I don't remember ever hearing anything about the cloud effect before the 10th celebration. But, like I said, it was working on Monday the 19th. You coud see it really good from Kali.

That was actually one of the better written Jim Hill articles I have read recently....

Anyways, would Joe really fall for this? Does he suddenly not keep track of things when hes in California. Im sure he hears that the effects are not working properly when hes not there. I couldnt imagine that the animal kingdom is completely out of sight out of mind to him.

EpcotServo

Wronge Mcwrongerson strikes again!

1: This was NOT the mist that was used in the tunnels.

2: Even if it was, the mist-sensor issue is a MYTH. The "sensors" handled the mist just find. The reason ops turned it off was because they got worried that it was rusting some of the "tabarm" leftovers near the tunnels. That's why they not only turned it off, they also cut the water lines too them, so we won't be seeing them return...

3: The mountain mist effect has been working for at least the past week, so...deal with it Jim.

I guess no drama, no article.
:hammer:

tdonald

What about the Ratatouille restaurant mentioned in the article? That's sounds like it could be pretty cool. It could fit nicely in Pixar Place, possibly, but I hope they don't plan to put it in WS.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can only speak form personal experience but here is what I have seen in my many, many rides on E:E since the AP preview.

Yeti-I have only once seen him in B mode. All of the other times he has been in A mode.
Steam- Can be hit or miss. I would put its working rate at about 75%.
Mist in the ice cavern- It ran during previews and shortly after. I have not seen it on since.
Mist on the mountain-It was on around the previews and back on again recently.
Waterfalls-I have only seen them off once.
Bird- He has been there up until around the beginning of this year. Since them I have not seen him. No big loss IMHO.

tirian

This story is grossly exaggerated. I've ridden E:E countless times, and I rarely see the Yeti in "B" mode. Granted, once it breaks down, a line-level CM can't repair it, and managers have to wait for it to get fixed. This rarely takes more than a day.

Contrary to what some people claim, WDW management and CMs do not sit around developing diabolical schemes on how to destroy Disney; it's my experience that nearly everyone tries to do the best job possible all the time.

(Well, everyone except some execs that underestimate what makes the parks attractive to Guests. Hint: It's everything, not just Pixie Dust Puke.)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This story is grossly exaggerated. I've ridden E:E countless times, and I rarely see the Yeti in "B" mode. Granted, once it breaks down, a line-level CM can't repair it, and managers have to wait for it to get fixed. This rarely takes more than a day.

Contrary to what some people claim, WDW management and CMs do not sit around developing diabolical schemes on how to destroy Disney; it's my experience that nearly everyone tries to do the best job possible all the time.

(Well, everyone except some execs that underestimate what makes the parks attractive to Guests. Hint: It's everything, not just Pixie Dust Puke.)

Everest was in B Mode in for an extensive amount of time. We have a thread tracking the effects status, see http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=171808

landauh

This could be the resturant that JH is talking about. It is one of the finalists in this year's ImagaiNations competition.

Remy's
Project type: Restaurant
School:
Stanford University (Palo Alto, Calif.)
Team members:
• Janet Hwu –
B.S., Product Design
• Kay Yang –
Master's, Product Development Engineering

How the team describes their project:
"Remy's is a restaurant conceptualized off of the movie Ratatouille. Upon entering the restaurant, human diners feel as if they have been shrunken down to the size of a mouse or rat, an effect created by the furniture and set design. Remy's allows its guests to employ the star of the film Remy's method of cooking: by controlling Linguini by his hair. The restaurant gives diners an experience unlike any other, with an interactive menu and an entertaining, themed ambiance."

Remy's.jpg

ImagineerAndy

what exactly is the difference between yeti A and yeti B??

In A Mode the Yeti moves as an animatronic swiping at the train as it goes past, the lighting in the cave is better too, as he actually 'sees' you.
In B mode, he is frozen in a scary state, his eyes are red and a strobe gives the impression he is moving. It's fine, but when you have seen him in A, it can be a let down.

tirian

Everest was in B Mode in for an extensive amount of time. We have a thread tracking the effects status, see http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=171808

Ah, sorry. I wasn't aware of that; AK is my least favorite park, so visits are usually limited to just once every few weeks. Still, I've only seen the Yeti in B mode about two or three times. I guess I've been lucky.

I don't agree with Hill's sensationalist claim that managers don't care about the attractions and ignore things that have to be fixed. But I'll agree that the repairs themselves take too much time. How many months did it take them to fix the Italian gondola boy in IASW? And how many years has it been since Space Mt. got a refurb?

raven

Well, I was there on the 10th Anniversary and all of the effects didn't work. We rode 3 times during that day and only the waterfall and Yeti were working. I've ridden E:E tons of times and have never seen the steam from the engines or the mist from the top of the mountain, nor did the bird work. So to say they turned it on just for Joe can't quiet be accurate because the effects must come and go whenever they want.

By the way, here's a pic of Joe and I from that day:
WDWspring2008136.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom