Jim Hill- latest about HP and Disney's possible response

culturenthrills

Original Poster
Why (For) Disney doesn't feel all that bad about missing out on the theme park rights to "Harry Potter" ?

Jim Hill's back with even more answers to your Disney-related questions. This time around, Jim talks about why the Mouse was willing to abandon its negotiations with J.K. Rowling, what rethemed rides you can expect to find when you visit the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter," as well as what Disney's response to IOA's new addition might be.

As you might expect, I got an awful lot of e-mail yesterday concerning that "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" project that Universal Studios just announced. That $500 million re-theming of the "Lost Continent" section of Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park.

First up, Kurt G. wrote in to say:

Boy, Disney is going to regret passing this one up !

Dear Kurt G.

Actually, I don't honestly think that this is really the case here. You have to remember that Disney was trying to make a deal with J.K. Rowling back in late 2004 / early 2005. During those dark, depressing days when Steve Jobs & Michael Eisner were openly sniping at one another and it genuinely looked like WDFA & Pixar weren't going to renew their highly successful co-production pact.

The rest is here-

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/
jim_hill/archive/2007/06/01/why-for-today.aspx

culturenthrills

Original Poster
Ah, the old Raging Spirits rumor returns. They will not put this ride in at MK. They would be idiots if they did. Raging Spirits/Indy is considered a horrible coaster and has crappy capacity. How they got OLC to put it in DisneySea is beyond me. I don't mind having a new coaster but for the love of god it better be a different one than the Raging Spirits/Indy ride. That would be a disaster. You know if they are going to build a new Pirates restaurant why don't they just build one. I know they have plans for HKDL to build Tortuga with a restaurant. I just don't see them converting Adventureland into Pirateland. That would be just awful. If they want to build a separate pirate are like Tortuga nest to POTC I think that would be great. Now if they would just get all those rehabs/upgrades done to HM(yes i know it is this summer), SM and JC that would be great. Then bring over HMH and IASWH and maybe MK would actually be an enjoyable park during the holidays. Thus ends my rant.

raven

It's still just a re-theame. IOA can re-theame all they want but if everyone has already been on Dueling Dragons then it's not going to be anything new, just an overlay.

If Disney were to have had rights to Potter (which I'm glad they don't) they would have built new attractions intstead of a revamp like IOA is doing.

I'll still take WDW anyday over Universal. Theaming and a storyline is everything to me. If I just want to ride a coaster I'll go to Cedar Point.

majortom1981

hmm

Why do people insist on disneys answer being an already established ip? They could just build new rides and add or change some different things and be the better for it. They dont need a whole new section.

Heck a pirate makeover of tom sawyers island, new star wars ride, and the pirates dining can compete with universals retheme.

Then if they redo space mountain and more rides they have eenough to draw more people.

Also disney has the luxury of people going to universal and wdw.

tomm4004

It's strange that JK would sell the rights for redos. She doesn't need the money and it seems disrespectful to a work she created. It's also odd after she insisted the movies feature British actors that she would allow HP attractions in the US. They just opened a Dickens World in London. Why not a Potter world?

ToTBellHop

an interesting read. Depending on the popularity of the new Pirates Lair at Disneyland as well as the Pirates stuff HKDL is seeing, I could defintely buy into such a retheming. After all, they did just introduce more pirates theming outside of Pirates, they have a Tiki Room that isn't very popular, a magic carpet ride that no one would cry to lose, and a land that is generally jumbled. I'd take a pirate ship over the Swiss Family Treehouse any day, and I'm sure the JC would remain with perhaps minor retheming. It'd be a cool idea and create some real freshness at the MK.

Magicot

In my opinion, the idea of re-theming Adventureland into 'Pirates-only-Adventureland' is so bad, it shouldn't even be considered. :brick:

jmvd20

I think the idea of a Pirates re-theme of AL sounds reasonable enough. But I am wondering if Pirates has the staying power to pull more guests in long enough to make the costs of it worthwhile? I think that it does as most people seem to like pirates, ships etc... but am not 100% convinced that is case.

FigmentJedi

I'm thinking with this whole thing, Jungle Cruise would remain the same considering that the Jungle Cruise movie is coming in a few years.
Pirates Tiki Room: Hey, better than Under New Management. Let Disneyland keep and preserve the original and let WDW go into its own direction with a redone Tiki Room like Tokyo did by bringing a new set of MCs.
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse: Questioning the authenticity considering again, thar be rumors that they're doing a remake. Course I could be wrong because people might be confused about which Robinson family they're talking about :rolleyes:. Speaking of which, when is Disney going to put a Meet the Robinsons attraction in the parks?
Carpets of Aladdin: Tear the sucker down, we have three of these things in the same bloody park. Aladdin still has in-park presence attraction-wise anyway thanks to Philharmagic.

Ragetti

Welp, I have no use for the Swiss Family Who? Treehouse or the Tiki Room. I'd lik eot see more Pirates themeing... but then I've always been a pirates nut!

Imaginationeer

I posted the story on the pirate additions on thursday. Ihave heard for months that a pirate land will be built in either the Magic Kingdom or the Disney MGM Studios. I think MGM is more possible and probable for the space that will be available in place of the animation courtyard or the streets of america, while rumors persist of Adventureland being revamped with a pirate bird show, the black pearl and a new rollercoaster. I would have shot down the Adventureland thing, but Tom Sawyer island has already been claimed by pirates despite being a landmark at DL. Adventureland is only 35 years old and probably isn't a reason people visit WDW. I have been right before, but i hope i am not right this time. I would hate to see the tiki room or jungle cruise destroyed.

csmat99

It's strange that JK would sell the rights for redos. She doesn't need the money and it seems disrespectful to a work she created. It's also odd after she insisted the movies feature British actors that she would allow HP attractions in the US. They just opened a Dickens World in London. Why not a Potter world?

I'm sick of hearing people say they are just redoing L.C. They are only doing that in part. They are expanding that area by 20 acres with all new themes and rides. Yes they are changing dueling dragons to fit into H.P. but that is pretty much it for the redo's. They are going to spend well over 500 million on this land when all said and done. That is not a redo.

metscool

I mean, if you take a close look at that owl's-eye-view of the proposed retheming of this side of that theme park, you'll notice that IOA's extremely popular "Dueling Dragons" racing coasters is still one of the featured attractions for this part of the park. Only -- in this incarnation -- it's be re-imagined as part of the Tri Wizard Tournament. Where brave wizards do battle with fierce dragons. With the hope that they'll be able to win the Goblet of Fire.

FYI : As you wander through the significantly overhauled queue for "Dueling Dragons" (Which will have 90% of its skeletons removed, so I hear), you'll actually get a chance to get a close-up look at the Goblet. Which -- just as it appeared in the "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" film -- will be displayed on an ornate pedestal with magical blue flames licking out of its top.

Take -- for example -- that area's "Flying Unicorn" kiddie coaster. According to what I hear, Universal plans on retheming this area so that you first queue up in the garden outside of Hagrid's cottage. Then -- after wandering through the Care of Magical Creatures teacher's home -- you then get the chance to board the now re-themed "Flying Hippogriff" kiddie coaster.
My ride and the ride that I've gotten crosstrained at are going to still be there. But I don't like what they are going to do with it

Champion

I'm sick of hearing people say they are just redoing L.C. They are only doing that in part. They are expanding that area by 20 acres with all new themes and rides. Yes they are changing dueling dragons to fit into H.P. but that is pretty much it for the redo's. They are going to spend well over 500 million on this land when all said and done. That is not a redo.

They don't have $500m to spend. Half that is a much more reasonable number.

I think the idea of a Pirates re-theme of AL sounds reasonable enough. But I am wondering if Pirates has the staying power to pull more guests in long enough to make the costs of it worthwhile? I think that it does as most people seem to like pirates, ships etc... but am not 100% convinced that is case.

I too would doubt that retheming the land to Pirates will pull in an extraordinary amount of guests that wouldn't visit if it was still Adventureland. And I love both DLR and WDW's Pirates attractions.

CaptainMichael

Adventureland could use a reworking...nothing I'd lament losing save for the JC and PotC. And it could have an overall pirate theme...maybe not blatant, but for most little boys (and those young at heart) pirates have always been cool and the source of many childhood adventures. A Tortuga restaurant, a redone Tiki Room, and perhaps a little live show taking the place of Carpets would all be welcome IMO. Also, the treehouse could easily disappear and not hurt a thing.

the-reason14

To me, Uni can do whatever they wont, it doesnt affect me in any way. They wont be and probably will never be getting my money.

I think the things that were mentioned in that other post about supposeedly upcoming disney projects is enough for them to compete. Heck I think them just doing what they have been doing is enough for them to compete, even little to nothing. Uni has been and always will be second best.

ToTBellHop

Universal is paying a fortune for these rights, so the real number they are spending within the park is, I believe, $236m. There will be one major E-ticket in addition to some (admittedly great) retheming. So, yes, this is, by and large, a shiny retheming of Lost Continent. There will be only one major new attraction.

Krozar

I have wanted a pirate re-theming of AL way before the movies came around. Let this be movie induced, but not movie centered. AL is a tacky mess and it's rough on the eyes. The ship where the treehouse is at is a wonderful idea. Get rid of the carnival ride...pretty much everyone in agreement there. PotC attraction and El Pirata have always looked really neat, would like to see that continue without having to be "Tortuga" or "Port Royale." Just general pirate theme. Kids love the pirate stuff and the adults appreciate it. Aladdin can go to Studios for all I care. Or give Iago a pirate's hat lol.

Testtrack321

oooooooooooooo

I like this retheme idea. THOUGH, I think that without additional space, it could just end up being bland.

Potter is half retheme, half new stuff. Most of that money will be spent on the robotic arm car ride. Disney would probably have done something like this on that scale, or something smaller with new material.

Potter will get people, but it's hardly a full day's draw as it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom