News Jessica Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

The Aracuan Bird

It could be worse. At least they’re not getting rid of Roger’s presence in general.

I support Jessica Rabbit being in a 1940s women’s suit with suspenders. As long as her physical shape doesn’t change and her curves are still present.
Especially when that seemed to be the prediction for years. Though it wasn’t because of any sensitivity mission, but rather, because of relevancy in comparison to their current milked IPs.

The Aracuan Bird

That shouldn't be an excuse for racial stereotyping. [See: Jungle Cruise]

I know, like most things in the park, the intent was never to really be malicious in their portrayals. That doesn't mean that they are still appropriate though. The concept of having someone from Africa come in and decorate the Africa section of the ride was probably something that Walt though inconceivable in the 1960s, but it's certainly something that can be done today.

It's also worth noting that they already made some changes to the ride due to the dated portrayals.
It’s also important to remember that Small World was a last minute addition to the World’s Fair, and was on an accelerated timeline. I have no doubt that, given his obsession with detail and accuracy, he would have tried to do something like that if they had several years instead of 11 months.

The Aracuan Bird

I also don't like that pants are automatically conflated with superiority (1940s values and symbolism of pants aside).

Jessica and Roger Rabbit are one of the strongest and healthiest relationships in the Disney Canon, and represent two characters that care deeply about each other, are willing to do anything for each other, and we are talking about a woman who did literally everything to protect her husband. She displays a considerable amount of agency, intellectual prowess, etc.

IDK, the whole point of her character was that she is both beautiful and brilliant, deeply nurturing, emotionally intelligent, etc. I am not sure is demonizing hyper femininity is it.
Her character really was “appearances are deceiving” incarnate. As time goes on, however, it seems that appearances and aesthetic are more valued than substance. Almost like we’re going backwards a bit, in some regards.

wityblack

I feel like I accidentally manifested this guys. I'm so so sorry, how foolish could I be. Two days ago I was talking non-stop about how I hoped they would update Roger Rabbit with the same treatment Alice got all those years ago. Little did I know the monkey's paw curled one of its fingers to grant a horrible twisted version of my wish.

I've always been on board with a lot of the cultural sensitivity changes. I'm all for them getting rid of the red-faced Native Americans on Peter Pan, and agreed that the representations of natives in Jungle Cruise was not great. I even think the history of Song of the South is incredibly problematic, and totally understand why there probably shouldn't be an attraction based on an IP that has such a terrible racist caricature, that the movie has been locked up in the vaults. But Jessica Rabbit is already a strong female character, and gives the weasels their comeuppance by the end of the ride. In the movie she was a brilliant take on the over-sexing of cartoon characters, but still was a deep, three dimensional character (no pun intended) with the best of intentions. If the issue is with her body, then I don't see how focusing the story on her will fix that. The only thing that could possibly need "fixing" on the ride is Baby Herman's pin-up girl in the queue. Why not just replace that with a calendar with Jessica Rabbit, since they seem so intent on shoving her in places she doesn't belong.

Dear Prudence

Her character really was “appearances are deceiving” incarnate. As time goes on, however, it seems that appearances and aesthetic are more valued than substance. Almost like we’re going backwards a bit, in some regards.
The entire point of her character is to shame the male characters and society (and viewers) for the way they perceive her. She is one of the most fascinating and nuanced characters ever written for Disney, and there's just SO MUCH THERE. When she expresses pain over having been judged for her body her entire life, how much she loves Roger, how deeply devoted she is to her husband, that's absolutely beautiful.

Dear Prudence

I feel like I accidentally manifested this guys. I'm so so sorry, how foolish could I be. Two days ago I was talking non-stop about how I hoped they would update Roger Rabbit with the same treatment Alice got all those years ago. Little did I know the monkey's paw curled one of its fingers to grant a horrible twisted version of my wish.

I've always been on board with a lot of the cultural sensitivity changes. I'm all for them getting rid of the red-faced Native Americans on Peter Pan, and agreed that the representations of natives in Jungle Cruise was not great. I even think the history of Song of the South is incredibly problematic, and totally understand why there probably shouldn't be an attraction based on an IP that has such a terrible racist caricature, that the movie has been locked up in the vaults. But Jessica Rabbit is already a strong female character, and gives the weasels their comeuppance by the end of the ride. In the movie she was a brilliant take on the over-sexing of cartoon characters, but still was a deep, three dimensional character (no pun intended) with the best of intentions. If the issue is with her body, then I don't see how focusing the story on her will fix that. The only thing that could possibly need "fixing" on the ride is Baby Herman's pin-up girl in the queue. Why not just replace that with a calendar with Jessica Rabbit, since they seem so intent on shoving her in places she doesn't belong.
Been asking for the removal of literal racist caricatures from Peter Pan and songs with slurs in them from the parks my entire Native life, heyooooooooooooooo

Disney Analyst

This was shared on another forum and it’s an interesting read, from one of the original designers of Toon Town/ this ride.

Specifically:
INB:
Was there any concern about having Jessica appear in Car-Toon Spin, and actually having her "tied up" in the beginning of the ride?

Marcelo:
Hah! Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time! But, I realize that image taken out of context can appear very inappropriate. When the studio wanted to make prints of my designs for the ride, they printed THAT exact image. When I saw it, I was horrified! I never intended this to be a stand alone image. I asked them to pull the image from the public, and thankfully they did -- but they did sell these prints to Disney employees (cast) only. So, they're out there if you can find them! As it turns out, that's the collectible everyone wants.

D.Silentu

Have people from the cultures represented actually tell their stories
Or, they could just....call in cultural consultants to update certain scenes. It's that simple.
These are fitting ideas but I'm sorry to say it is no longer that straightforward. With the internet providing an amplifier for every person with every nuance of an opinion it seems almost too hard to avoid offending someone. At The Jungle Cruise there was a golden opportunity to respectfully reinvent Trader Sam, however, we got a souvenir shack. Inclusivity is complicated, so instead Disney is doing it's best not to offend people.

Last edited:

brb1006

Full poster
e_wo6nxxsaqjsb-jpeg.587210

Dear Prudence

These are fitting ideas but I'm sorry to say it's is no longer that straightforward. With the internet providing an amplifier for every person with every nuance of an opinion it seems almost too hard to avoid offending someone. At The Jungle Cruise there was a golden opportunity to respectfully reinvent Trader Sam, however, we got a souvenir shack. Inclusivity is complicated, so instead Disney is doing it's best not to offend people.
The Jungle Cruise was never accurate and was rooted in colonial fantasy. There was no way it could have or should have been saved. Minor updates to Small World with cultural consultants would remediate it. That fact that so many people just look at Trader Sam (which is a grotesque caricature) and conflate it on the same level as some of what's in Small World, and think it's the same, is, uh....

Like I mentioned, it would only take very minor updates to the Native section and the Latin American section is solid. The Africa room is problematic, so update it to showcase the different countries. You can't compare depictions of things that actually exist to racist fantasy which has never existed.

D.Silentu

That fact that so many people just look at Trader Sam (which is a grotesque caricature) and conflate it on the same level as some of what's in Small World, and think it's the same, is, uh....
I see. I do understand the distinction between the two rides and their characterizations, but do you really feel that Sam was beyond saving? For Small World you advocated a cultural consultant; couldn't the same approach have worked on The Jungle Cruise? The sky was the limit insofar as how he could have been changed and it would have felt more like something had been added to the ride, rather than lost. I maintain that Disney simply isn't brave enough to try, but I'm interested in your take.

Disney Analyst

To be honest, I am not holding my breath.

Although, if it does happen, cue people trying to virtue signal about Native pain for their own internet clout. 🤢

I really do think they’ll do something. I can’t imagine it’ll stand as is for much long.

How would you like the attraction to be handled, I’ve been curious what the best option is.

J4546

Full poster
e_wo6nxxsaqjsb-jpeg.587210

Roger Rabbit is a classic all time great movie imo. The ride itself is a spin off (no pun) from the movie that tells its own story using a few characters from the movie, as will this newer version. I digging it. Setting up Jessica rabbit as a main character for her own ride that will probably get a show on D+ is a smart move that will engage a brand new audience.

D.Silentu

Honestly, I appreciate the look of P.I. Jessica. Yet, the news I'm waiting for is how committed they are to adapting the ride. A few barrels, a new figure, and some queue signs, etc. just won't cut it. There is merit in this concept, so long as they're taking it seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom