News Jessica Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Californian Elitist

Is it April Fools Day already?

Yeah, this is stupid, needless and idiotic.

But... not gonna lie, the idea of Jessica becoming a P.I. —possibly inspired by her time with Eddie Valiant— isn’t bad, fits her character and would be a great plotline for a movie sequel.

But, yeah, as a needless change to RRCTS, this is a huge eyeroll and another reason for me to not spend a dime or a second of my time at Bobsyland.

Vote with your wallets, folks. It’s the only language the Bobs speak or understand.
I agree that the more original content sounds interesting. The problem is it’s taking the place of the current story and ride that we already know. If we didn’t already have a Roger attraction, I’d welcome this because it does sound kinda neat.

Guests will eat this up and I assume Disney will start producing more and better Roger merchandise, which people will undoubtedly buy because of the “new” ride. Disney knows what they’re doing.

TP2000

I agree that the more original content sounds interesting. The problem is it’s taking the place of the current story and ride that we already know. If we didn’t already have a Roger attraction, I’d welcome this because it does sound kinda neat.

I agree, the plotline does sound clever and promising... for a sequel to the original movie. Maybe set five years later and focused on Jessica and her new career? It has potential there.

I'm highly skeptical they can convey this new plotline on a loud, chaotic dark ride with a 3 minute run time. That spins.

Guests will eat this up and I assume Disney will start producing more and better Roger merchandise, which people will undoubtedly buy because of the “new” ride. Disney knows what they’re doing.

Here's where I get even more skeptical, because I can't imagine Disney spending the money to focus on this new ride like that. It only exists in Anaheim (Tokyo never counts, sadly). It's based on a movie long since disowned by the company, both culturally and legally. And it's a low-capacity dark ride in a corner of the park that closes for the fireworks.

From what we've seen, this makeover consists of removing actual animatronics and replacing them with barrels. I assume new audio is also coming, audio that no one will be able to make out over the din of the noisy dark ride. Plus other set changes, a prim new wardrobe with lower hemlines and higher necklines for Jessica, and tweaks to the indoor queue that TDA wants us to pay to avoid entirely, etc.

I'm not convinced that TDA and Burbank are going to do much else but make enough superficial changes to ensure this ride doesn't show up unflatteringly in a Women's Studies textbook on campus.

Last edited:

TP2000

Just for kicks, I had to go watch the YouTube of this ride. It was even more loud and meaningless than I remember. o_O

Watch this excellent HD video below that was taken earlier this summer. Listen to the very clear HD audio. I can only make out about every third or fourth spoken word here. It really does sound like Blah-blah-blah BLAMMO! Watch out! Blah-blah-blah! to me.

Now try to imagine an audio track that explains and conveys an entirely new plotline for a completely remade character here.
While you spin the wheel. Spin! (Although, the rider here purposely does not spin to get better video.)

Last edited:

TP2000

So, now that I've watched that and been reminded of this weird dark ride, I can only think...

This is what they're worried about? 🤣

They obviously have never been inside the Tiki Room, or looked up the historical accuracy of the Sailing Ship Columbia, or read any of Mark Twain's books, or heard that Abe Lincoln's press agent dumped him last summer. 🧐

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Can't say how I feel about this until more is revealed on how invested in these changes they are. At the moment it seems like they realized fans were noticing things sooner than expected and they rushed a release to the Register to try and get ahead of it.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

So, now that I've watched that and been reminded of this weird Anaheim exclusive dark ride, I can only think...

This is what they're worried about? 🤣

They obviously have never been inside the Tiki Room, or looked up the historical accuracy of the Sailing Ship Columbia, or read any of Mark Twain's books. 🧐
Certainly seems like a specifically tailored/targeted strategy to decimate attractions built from the mid-1980s to 2005 (post-Eisner, when Iger became CEO).

I get the impression that while I’m quite sure this committee has probably drafted series of papers on the “highly problematic” natures of the origins of Frontierland, Main Street USA, Adventureland, etc. even current management may have the sense to say “eh, maybe look at this attraction first”.

There’s got to be a few folks left in TWDC that probably know some of the “Walt-era classics” and immediately thereafter have to be handled with kid gloves. As clumsily executed as “We want the Redd’s… Hen Auction” or “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Jungle Cruise edition” are, they’re still not total destruction at least.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Just threw up in my mouth. The ride is called 'Roger Rabbit's Cartoon's Spin' based around the film 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' not 'Jessica Rabbit's Great Weasel Caper'. Are they going to change the ride's name?! Look the reason why Roger Rabbit works as a film is because it does not treat the audience both adults and kids as stupid or talk down to them. It has comdey for kids and adults that kids will get later when they grow up and rewatch(you know like a timeless classic should), a great setting , interesting plot, Disney and WB cartoon characters finally united in one film! As a kid you have any idea how bad @ss it was to see Mickey and Bugs on screen together. Has a great score that forces kids to feel danger and scared for the heros. It is ok for gets to feel scared during a family film. Kids need a equal balance of their emotions trigged. It helps them grow. The world is not just 'sunshine and rainbows'. It treated the universe as real. It had romance. Am I the only one who wants some damn romance and human sexuality in my movies?! As a kid I Ioved that Jessica Rabbit was smoking hot because as a kid I knew there were smoking hot women in the world. It made it real.
The real reason this is being done is because Disney no longer wants sexy woman in their properties anymore. They took away the red head now this. Modern Disney wont let Jessica be a smoking hot damsel in distress in a tight revealing dress. Even though in the movie she is a bad @ss who doesn't take crap and tries to clear her husband's name on her own. She doesn't just sit there and look pretty just for eye candys sake. Disney is trying to have women not be objects and so Jessica can no longer be a sexy lounge singer but now she has to be a detective who is going tk get a new covered up outfit because female detective can't be sexy or wear low cut tops. Why is society telling women its not ok to be women and sexy anymore? Nothing wrong with some sexyness in a movie. Even a family movie. That is why the movie works. It doesn't disrespect the audience. Disney does not get it and its another example of them being 'Passive Progressive'. Bunch of idiots trying to leave their own mark on beloved rides instead of creating something new of equal value. Modern Disney is lazy. Lazy merchandise and lazy new nonsensical attractions and forced and desperate pc changes on their classic rides just to pat themselves on their backs and try to justify they're overpaid salaries.

Last edited:

DLR92

I wonder if Disney looking to intentionally tone down her design looks as well? I would hope not, maybe just tad bit lower her slit of her dress. That it!

Surferboy567

I have tried to refrain from saying anything here since basically everything I wanted to say has been said. Is this really necessary though? I love Who Framed Roger Rabbit, it’s an incredible piece of film history as well as an amazing film in it’s own right. I was hoping the ride would get the Alice treatment in terms of updates…not a rework. We really don’t need PI Jessica Rabbit, while she did help Eddie investigate in the film she is NOT nor did she ever show ANY INKLING of interest in being a PI.

As someone said above, this is Roger Rabbits Car-Toon Spin not Jessica Rabbit’s Great Weasel Caper. Is this reaction possibly an overreaction, yes. Who knows? Maybe this can deliver some much needed updates to the attraction. I just hope this isn’t taking away the focus from Roger. For all we know this could be a one scene thing (though I doubt that).

EDIT: Oh and Jessica’s look is part of her character.

Brer Panther

I thought Disney hated Jessica Rabbit. Oh, wait, maybe this is their way of "fixing" her? Making her more "woke" or whatever?

This is seriously getting ridiculous. Will Roger even still be in the ride? I wouldn't be surprised if now HE'S the one who gets kidnapped so they can have the STRONG, INDEPENDENT WOMAN HAVE TO SAVE THE GUY FOR ONCE, THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE, AREN'T WE SO WOKE?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Disney, this is Roger's attraction. Jessica's character is supposed to be a self-aware, empowered vixen doing a classic cartoon damsels in distress trope. She's Tex Avery's Red Hot Riding Hood. That's her character! Remove that and she's no longer Jessica Rabbit.

If you want a woke female-centric plotline just finish destroying Pirates of the Carrbean already. It's nearly a wash now. Spare Roger Rabbit's Toon Spin from your PCBS.

Here's a thought, why not just buy the rights to Carmen Sandiego and give her an attraction?

The Aracuan Bird

It needlessly over complicated the ride. Before it was just “weasels plan to dip the city, they kidnap Jessica and attempt to bump of Roger so that nobody stops them”.

Easy to understand. But now we’re adding in all these backstories. It’s a 3 minute dark ride, the backstory shouldn’t be the focus. Make a new ride in Florida, which has no Roger Rabbit attractions.

el_super

This is seriously getting ridiculous. Will Roger even still be in the ride? I wouldn't be surprised if now HE'S the one who gets kidnapped so they can have the STRONG, INDEPENDENT WOMAN HAVE TO SAVE THE GUY FOR ONCE, THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE, AREN'T WE SO WOKE?

This actually seems like a good idea and an easy way to fix the ride.

el_super

It's the Disney employee. Always joining in threads to normalize their bad decision making.

Why do they need normalizing? They are going to do what they think is best, no matter what gets posted here.

I'm so glad all of the zero complaints to "fix" Roger Rabbit are finally being heard. What rides are they "fixing" next.

Every ride and attraction is being examined. Every. Single. One.

el_super

Yes we should all stop talking about them and let them ruin everything. We should not be able to discuss this, you are right. None of us work at WDI so we can't talk about it.

That's it folks, close down the site!

There does come a point where discussion is pointless. You're obviously not going to change Disney's mind on any of these decisions, and the park seems pretty confident the audience at large will accept them. There are bigger political issues at stake here and Disney is going to do what they want.

Maybe a solicitation of sympathy would be easier to accept if Roger Rabbit was a classic and beloved attraction, but I get the sense a lot of people forgot it was even there, until yesterday.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

There does come a point where discussion is pointless. You're obviously not going to change Disney's mind on any of these decisions, and the park seems pretty confident the audience at large will accept them. There are bigger political issues at stake here and Disney is going to do what they want.

Maybe a solicitation of sympathy would be easier to accept if Roger Rabbit was a classic and beloved attraction, but I get the sense a lot of people forgot it was even there, until yesterday.
I don’t think anyone cares if we change Disney’s mind. The problem I’d argue is trying to pigeonhole “bigger political issues” into a theme park environment.

That said I agree that this is a secondary attraction so I’m not sure this rises on some level of a “movement” but I do think it’s interesting how from a “modern political” perspective it’s perfectly acceptable to pay executives on a committee six figure salaries to “examine rides” no one cares about. Yet at the same time it’s morally passable and even acceptable to underpay and understaff hourly workers, cut employees left and right, while using their political PAC money to advocate against $3.5B expand social programs at the federal level.

Again this is all fine with me, I’m not trying to start a “Save Disney 2.0” campaign but the larger problem here is this is clearly designed to excite social media Disney stans in the name of marketing (some might argue disguising) Disney as a progressive organization with lofty values when real actions would say otherwise.

And I’m frankly not sure if any of this juice is worth the squeeze or if this is going to silence the Abigail Disney’s of the world either, since all this looks like to me (as a Disney fan and shareholder) is an executive committee fiddling around with new spending while Rome burns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom