Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

WEDfan9798

It's an HR Committee that has to prove it's worth and salaries to their executives, and show how they are doing stuff. Stuff! We did stuff!

If Jessicca Rabbit in the trunk of a car can be erased instantly overnight, nothing is safe. Not the Tiki Room, not Mr. Lincoln, not Small World, not the Rivers of America, not Dumbo, not Tom Sawyer Island or the Mark Twain. Heck, the Sailing Ship Columbia is the living embodiment of cultural imperialism, Manifest Destiny, and white supremacy. Also animal cruelty.

Those HR Karens should be fired.

WEDfan9798

From my experience in corporate America the irony of these HR committees is that they usually are created with the best of intentions. Typically with the broad goal to try to create a more diverse workforce with representation from underrepresented associates and diversifying the ranks of company leadership.

However when senior executives are reluctant to “give up” their own salaries/positions in the interest of promoting real representation and inclusion, most of these HR D&I committees then become “busy work factories” that have to focus on a litany of special projects that necessitate the continuance of their existence. I’ve seen this firsthand, unfortunately.
Disney should just cancel the committee, then.

Instead of recalling the governor, they should recall the executives instead

DrAlice

Obnoxious?!?

I can understand some not getting as invest with Roger Rabbit himself. But aren't you forgetting about Eddie Valiant's storyline about the loss of his brother and his hatred for toons as a result of his death? You must had forgotten about this scene then.

Lol... If it makes you feel any better, I really enjoy the Aristocats. :)

WEDfan9798

I'm right there with you. This makes no sense. Which may mean this really is just an animatronic being removed for maintenance for a couple of weeks. Hopefully that's what this is, and not an HR mandate.

Exactly. This is not storytelling, it's empty virtue signaling. And it makes no sense if Jessica is still seen later in the ride wrapped in rope with the same side-split dress and sulky glamour girl look. Holding a GIANT cartoon mallet that she's about to bash a weasel with and cause permanent injury or death to. That violence is okay, but kidnapping in the trunk of a talking cartoon car is not okay?

By talking weasels wearing Zoot Suits. Weasels.

That's the real story here, pardon the pun. An HR committee is now in charge of storytelling at Disneyland. It's terrifying and sad.
I pride myself on being a supporter of inclusion and diversity, but this is not the way to go. It's stupid and sad what a once-great company is doing to itself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The ride isn't a book report ride at all. Have you seen the movie?

Theres a difference between not wanting a book report ride and not wanting a completely made up plot that has nothing to do with source material.

It would be like changing the Peter Pan ride to be about Wendy leading a gang that fights pirates.
Why does it have to be directly related to the source material? Why can't it be its own thing using the same characters from source material?

Not saying you have to like this specific change, or any change for that matter. Just that fans for years have been asking for more originality in the attractions. WDI is starting to make such changes but with existing attractions (plussing) and some fans are complaining.

In this end this is a big nothing burger to me as I'm indifferent to it. The bones of the attraction will be there, the basic story line may change, but its not like its being changed out for a different IP. It appears it'll still be Roger, Jessica, the Weasels, and Lenny as the main characters just in a slightly different story line.

TP2000

Ugh so now its an original story that has nothing to do with the movie's plot?

Some bits from the OCR article -

"Walt Disney Imagineering is rebooting another Disneyland attraction with a female lead character and revamped backstory to make it “more relevant” as the Anaheim theme park continues to update rides that have become culturally outdated.

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin at Disneyland is getting a new plot twist that throws Jessica Rabbit into the lead role as a private eye determined to stamp out a Toontown crime wave.

Some scenes in Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin featuring Jessica Rabbit are being updated to be more relevant and reflect a new twist in the character’s story within the attraction, according to Disneyland officials. A scene featuring Jessica Rabbit and the weasels with an automobile as well as the finale scene of Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin are being updated, according to Disneyland officials."

"The updated Car Toon Spin storyline turns Jessica Rabbit into the newest private eye in Mickey’s Toontown on the lookout for Toon Patrol Weasels responsible for a sharp rise in crime."

“Jessica Rabbit has determined it is past time for her to throw her fedora in the ring by starting her own private investigation service,” according to the new Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin backstory. “Watch out weasels, your reign of terror is over.”

Oh, Gawd. This is a joke. It has to be a joke. But it's really in the OC Register, so apparently it's real.

Somehow this is even worse. They are rewriting the movie to make Jessica a completely different PC character.

You just want to feel so embarassed for them, but then they make it hard because they're so smug and smarmy about it.

I'm thisclose to giving up on them. Good thing I've got Netflix to catch up on.

J4546

is there a new RR in the works for disney+?

I could see a Jessica and Roger Rabbit private eye series with them perhaps solving mysteries and crime with various other cartoon characters and settings. Id be into it

TP2000

I could see a Jessica and Roger Rabbit private eye series with them perhaps solving mysteries and crime with various other cartoon characters and settings. Id be into it

True. There's potential there, although the past two generations of Disney fans will need to be introduced to the characters.

And Jessica Rabbit will need a new outfit. Something like Miss Marple's tweed would work well for the New Puritans of the 2020's...

af04bce47b56add36920306076913a6f.jpg

Sharon&Susan

Robert Zemeckis and Christopher Lloyd are busy doing a spiritual successor to Roger Rabbit for HBO Max using Warner's Golden Age cartoon properties so I doubt it.

EDIT: And I don't get the impression that Spielberg wants to work with Disney right now with how he's not working on IJ5.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

My goodness.

And twenty years ago I rented a VHS of this movie for my young nephews?!? What the hell was I thinking?

I watched it a few months ago and was surprised at how 'adult' the film was. It was definitely made more for adults who grew up watching the classic animation depicted in the film.

Heck, the whole plot is started when Roger sees pictures of Jessica Rabbit playing 'patty cake' with another man.

It's also a surprisingly good film and better then anything the Walt Disney Company has put out in the last 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom