Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Some bits from the OCR article -

"Walt Disney Imagineering is rebooting another Disneyland attraction with a female lead character and revamped backstory to make it “more relevant” as the Anaheim theme park continues to update rides that have become culturally outdated.

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin at Disneyland is getting a new plot twist that throws Jessica Rabbit into the lead role as a private eye determined to stamp out a Toontown crime wave.

Some scenes in Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin featuring Jessica Rabbit are being updated to be more relevant and reflect a new twist in the character’s story within the attraction, according to Disneyland officials. A scene featuring Jessica Rabbit and the weasels with an automobile as well as the finale scene of Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin are being updated, according to Disneyland officials."

"The updated Car Toon Spin storyline turns Jessica Rabbit into the newest private eye in Mickey’s Toontown on the lookout for Toon Patrol Weasels responsible for a sharp rise in crime."

“Jessica Rabbit has determined it is past time for her to throw her fedora in the ring by starting her own private investigation service,” according to the new Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin backstory. “Watch out weasels, your reign of terror is over.”

Da f***k???? The ride is based on the movie! She was never a f*****g detective in the movie!!!!

Castle Cake Apologist

This really is my genuine fear. That they seem to do this stuff quickly and quietly, and then announce it after the work has already begun or things have been removed.

I'm thinking the following attractions are in deep trouble and on the HR committee's radar, in no particular order;

Enchanted Tiki Room
Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
Tom Sawyer Island
It's A Small World
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Dumbo The Flying Elephant
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama

Most of these honestly make sense from a modern sensibilities standpoint (whether I agree with changing them or not), but what would be problematic in Alice or the castle diorama?

Roger_the_pianist

Well Alice is tripping on drugs and Sleeping Beauty has the issue of consent.

Aurora really does avoid Phillip's advances before she zonks into a coma whereas Snow White was pretty obviously in love with her prince at the beginning and only ran away because of fear of the evil queen catching her.

Roger_the_pianist

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-100656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-100656_Chrome.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 60

Castle Cake Apologist

Well, if metro.co.uk says it via a Google screenshot, it must be true. :rolleyes: For one, LSD didn't even exist when the book was written, so there goes that.

Also, Aurora is quite smitten with Phillip from the jump. She avoids his advances because the fairies have told her to avoid strangers at all costs for her entire life. I just watched Sleeping Beauty yesterday, and it remains my favorite animated feature.

Lastly, there's no slur in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That's been debunked for decades now.

Last edited:

Roger_the_pianist

I’ve also had crazy dreams like that, but have never touched LSD or any other hallucinatory drugs. Alice is dreaming.

Alice is fine.
Jessica Rabbit was (somehow) fine until yesterday.

My point is that some of these changes are well below the radar of fans so we will start seeing them in places we didn't imagine.

I really like Alice in Wonderland for how different of a character she is (especially that moment where the flowers realize she can't sing) and (to me and lots of other people) the whole movie is a nod to experimental drug use which was certainly a big part of counter culture when the movie came out despite the original book predating lsd.

More changes are coming and now we're seeing them at a level we didn't consider before.

el_super

If I may, what was problematic about Jessica Rabbit?

The usual things... objectionable of women, falling into specific tropes (like needing to be saved), promoting and unrealistic body image. Jessica Rabbit is a very adult character from a rather borderline adult movie, posing in an attraction located in the most kid-friendly area of a family friendly theme park.

I think Disney has always had a bit of a problem with how to portray Jessica. I seem to remember a few years back that they had some "art" from the ride created to sell and had to pull it off the shelves at the last second because someone was offended by it.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The usual things... objectionable of women, falling into specific tropes (like needing to be saved), promoting and unrealistic body image. Jessica Rabbit is a very adult character from a rather borderline adult movie, posing in an attraction located in the most kid-friendly area of a family friendly theme park.
I think Zemeckis/Spielberg created the character to actually lampoon the things you’re mentioning though. For example despite being a vixen she is clearly seen as outwitting Maroon and Roger. She also literally uses her sex appeal to bait/trap men.

Her figure is so exaggerated and disproportionate to her body that it is literally intentionally making an in-your-face statement about the unrealistic expectations on body image in Hollywood and the male gaze.

I get that most of this is a reaction to recent political events and an inherent need to virtue signal, but as with these culture wars every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The institutional problems in America are quite clear but I’m not sure if all Americans are as stupid as corporate America thinks they are. We’ll see if I’m right but I do think it would behoove companies to offer escapism and just be lead by example good corporate citizens to society in other ways if they are hoping to change hearts and minds.

EPCOTCenterLover

I think Disney has always had a bit of a problem with how to portray Jessica. I seem to remember a few years back that they had some "art" from the ride created to sell and had to pull it off the shelves at the last second because someone was offended by it.
Then Disney better never build a ride that features Thor. We don’t want ordinary men to feel emasculated in comparison. Or do we? 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom