Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

lazyboy97o

This ride was chaotic before and it is still chaotic. If you've never seen the movie (or it's been years and you don't remember it), there really isn't much of a story to follow here. And, most riders are spinning and not paying that much attention anyway. So, what's changed for the non-superfan? Only this: Jessica Rabbit is now inexplicably wearing a trench coat instead of her typical red dress. I don't get it.

I really don't understand what Disney was going for with this change. They took the "look" that is expected for a character and changed it so that she is almost unrecognizable. For me, the conversion of her eye-catching red to go-away beige meant that I almost didn't see her at all in the first scene. She blended in with the scenery.

So... is this a plus? a minus? a sideways? I don't know. It's just baffling to me.
As a woman, the prudish men say you have to applaud this for being better.

Magenta Panther

What? No chastity belt?

So let me get this straight. Lady Gaga can put her bare tush on one of her CD covers, and everyone thinks she's so liberated etc. etc., but "Disney" thinks it has to atone for Jessica Rabbit showing a bit of leg. Good grief.

And so much for my hope that the narrative in the RR ride would be altered so that it made a bit more sense. The "Imagineers" have now fixed it so it make LESS sense. Bravo!

(Yes, the quotation marks mean what you think they mean).

mickEblu

Original Poster
And the scenes which used to take place on land making the ride seem bigger are now either in the water (monkeys on boat) or right on the water's edge (monkeys with butterflies.) Also, I never thought I'd say this, but maybe too many monkey-centric scenes.

Oh ya for sure. Less depth with everything happening on the water. The second set of monkeys with the butterflies are redundant. Just about anything else would have been better there. I thought a man eating plant shooting poisonous barbs would have been a nice nod to the old scene.

mickEblu

Original Poster
As I’ve said many times, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite movies of all time and yet I’d be ok with them doing something else with this space now. Of course the ride has always been missing the best parts of the movie- most of the soundtrack, Judge Doom, Eddie Valiant, the interaction between Toons/ humans and old Hollywood. I’d miss the queue mostly and just the fact that it has representation but Censoring Jessica’s iconic look and replacing it with Dick Tracy’s coat? Silly.

Dear Prudence

As I’ve said many times, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite movies of all time and yet I’d be ok with them doing something else with this space now. Of course the ride has always been missing the best parts of the movie- most of the soundtrack, Judge Doom, Eddie Valiant, the interaction between Toons/ humans and old Hollywood. I’d miss the queue mostly and just the fact that it has representation but Censoring Jessica’s iconic look and replacing it with Dick Tracy’s coat? Silly.
I and other women on this thread have said this before, so someone built like Jessica, covering her body isn't the message people think it is. The fact that the actual movie version of Jessica has complete autonomy and agency, and is always completely in control just seems to be lost on everyone? Our bodies are not the issue. All the Frozen characters have eyes bigger than their waists, and that's fine and dandy, I GUESS?! Telling shapely women that our bodies are inherently vulgar, and a problem, is not the right message. Agency and choice is the right message. Putting Jessica is an ugly jacket that looks like a fan made addition is not it.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
And the scenes which used to take place on land making the ride seem bigger are now either in the water (monkeys on boat) or right on the water's edge (monkeys with butterflies.) Also, I never thought I'd say this, but maybe too many monkey-centric scenes.
I was just having a conversation with my friend yesterday about my trip to Disneyland and she asked what was changed in Jungle Cruise and the first thing I said was "Lots of monkeys".

It's almost as if the imagnineers just got done watching Jumanji and thought that monkeys doing hijinks was so funny to them they had to recreate it. Why is it always monkeys doing the hijinks? It's very cliche at best.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Isn’t it celebrated that woman don’t have to cover up anymore? We’ll be back to 1900 full body style bathing suits for women next.
I think the line of thinking is that when stars like Gaga or Grande appear half-naked on stage are looked upon as being empowering, it's because THEY are making the choice to do it and feel liberated. The reason Jessica rabbit is bad is because most people who don't understand the character or the intent behind the character just think she is the image of a perverted man's fantasy. That she is a fake person drawn by a man to look sexy, thus it wasn't a choice by a real woman, just a disgusting stereotype.

Of course she's more than that, but activists don't care.

DrAlice

I think the line of thinking is that when stars like Gaga or Grande appear half-naked on stage are looked upon as being empowering, it's because THEY are making the choice to do it and feel liberated. The reason Jessica rabbit is bad is because most people who don't understand the character or the intent behind the character just think she is the image of a perverted man's fantasy. That she is a fake person drawn by a man to look sexy, thus it wasn't a choice by a real woman, just a disgusting stereotype.

Of course she's more than that, but activists don't care.
Except in this case you aren't talking about activists. You're talking about Disney execs that apparently don't know their own product.

At this point, I think I'm of the mind that they should just remove all references to RR and retheme it. If you can't do it so that it makes sense with the film it is referencing, then don't do it at all.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Except in this case you aren't talking about activists. You're talking about Disney execs that apparently don't know their own product.
Good point.

At this point, I think I'm of the mind that they should just remove all references to RR and retheme it. If you can't do it so that it makes sense with the film it is referencing, then don't do it at all.
Or just take JR out of it completely. If the execs think she's a problem, just take her out and let the ride be the Car Toon Spin fun it is supposed to be, and don't recreate the ride or scenes to fit a silly new narrative over one "problem" character. It's not as if she was completely essential to the ride.

At the end of the day, I think they should have left things alone, but I'd rather her just be gone than what they are trying to do now.

DrAlice

Or just take JR out of it completely. If the execs think she's a problem, just take her out and let the ride be the Car Toon Spin fun it is supposed to be, and don't recreate the ride or scenes to fit a silly new narrative over one "problem" character. It's not as if she was completely essential to the ride.

At the end of the day, I think they should have left things alone, but I'd rather her just be gone than what they are trying to do now.
Agreed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom