Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

Californian Elitist

But I think in the context of this discussion, I don't think one needs to be 100% of native descent in order to question why the character of Tiger Lily is being considered "hypersexualized" within the context of her appearance in Peter Pan. I have to be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard her described in that way.
When someone who is not of the group states something with assurance about something related to said group without a genuine sense of curiosity and wanting to gain knowledge on the subject, people of said group sometimes shut the conversation down before it even begins because the other person shows that they have already made up their mind. So why bother?

It’s okay to not understand why a Native believes Disney’s version of Tiger Lily is over-sexualized. But instead of coming at them with guards up, how about inquiring with genuine curiosity?

@Dear Prudence Since I’m not Native and therefore lack understanding and some knowledge, would you mind explaining to me how Tiger Lily is over-sexualized as a Native cartoon character?

Dear Prudence

When someone who is not of the group states something with assurance about something related to said group without a genuine sense of curiosity and wanting to gain knowledge on the subject, people of said group sometimes shut the conversation down before it even begins because the other person shows that they have already made up their mind. So why bother?

It’s okay to not understand why a Native believes Disney’s version of Tiger Lily is over-sexualized. But instead of coming at them with guards up, how about inquiring with genuine curiosity?

@Dear Prudence Since I’m not Native and therefore lack understanding and some knowledge, would you mind explaining to me how Tiger Lily is over-sexualized as a Native cartoon character?
This thread is exhausting, so let me get back to you on this one. 💞

BasiltheBatLord

The sexualized Tiger Lilly stuff is cause she lap dances Peter during that one scene and is portrayed as an “exotic” woman.

Culturally outdated sign of the times? Sure. I really don’t think it’s something worth getting that worked up over though. These movies are 60+ years old and weren’t made with ill intent.

That being said it is surprising to me that the Indians are still in the ride. I figured they would be the first to go.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Micechat reported that the Marquee is back and the name of the attraction hasn’t changed. I wonder if they didn’t get the reaction they wanted on this one and maybe scaled back the plans for Jessica. Some of the most liberal of us here had problems with this change.

2CA5C567-418A-403B-AAA2-B7F85177EF9C.jpeg

Nland316

So this in a way confirms Roger is staying during the TT remodel? Found it pretty funny how up in arms people got over it, but I guess you can never know with modern day Disney! Hoping the rest of the attraction gets an upgrade during its closure like the Fantasyland dark rides.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So this in a way confirms Roger is staying during the TT remodel? Found it pretty funny how up in arms people got over it, but I guess you can never know with modern day Disney! Hoping the rest of the attraction gets an upgrade during its closure like the Fantasyland dark rides.

I don’t think it confirms anything. What makes this a “fun new space?” And why word it like that when they had already announced the Jessica changes and have now unveiled the new Jessica figure before any such announcement? Of course, they don’t seem very organized of late so I could be reading too much into it.

DrAlice

This ride was chaotic before and it is still chaotic. If you've never seen the movie (or it's been years and you don't remember it), there really isn't much of a story to follow here. And, most riders are spinning and not paying that much attention anyway. So, what's changed for the non-superfan? Only this: Jessica Rabbit is now inexplicably wearing a trench coat instead of her typical red dress. I don't get it.

I really don't understand what Disney was going for with this change. They took the "look" that is expected for a character and changed it so that she is almost unrecognizable. For me, the conversion of her eye-catching red to go-away beige meant that I almost didn't see her at all in the first scene. She blended in with the scenery.

So... is this a plus? a minus? a sideways? I don't know. It's just baffling to me.

CaptinEO

This ride was chaotic before and it is still chaotic. If you've never seen the movie (or it's been years and you don't remember it), there really isn't much of a story to follow here. And, most riders are spinning and not paying that much attention anyway. So, what's changed for the non-superfan? Only this: Jessica Rabbit is now inexplicably wearing a trench coat instead of her typical red dress. I don't get it.

I really don't understand what Disney was going for with this change. They took the "look" that is expected for a character and changed it so that she is almost unrecognizable. For me, the conversion of her eye-catching red to go-away beige meant that I almost didn't see her at all in the first scene. She blended in with the scenery.

So... is this a plus? a minus? a sideways? I don't know. It's just baffling to me.
It's so strange to me.

Disney actually creates problems that never existed with these changes. No one was discussing being offended by a curvy woman.

Yet Disney turns it into a problem. It only ceases to divide their own customer and draw attention for the wrong reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom