Jerry Fallwell DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

prberk

While Mr. Falwell has had some unpopular views on some things, he has most often stood up for his beliefs and put his money and heart where his mouth was. And when some of his statements went too far, he was man enough to reconsider and apologize (such as was the case with a statement about 9/11).

While there are things, thus, to criticize, I would like to remember today a man who put his faith into action. He built a fully accredited, 10,000-student university (Liberty University -- www.liberty.edu ) from the ground up. (They have several top-notch programs, including for example a nursing program that consistently has top grades in recent years among Virginia nursing students.)

As a youth director in a local church in the Richmond area, I have had several occasions to attend youth events hosted by Liberty (about 2 hours away); and I can say that the students and program leaders were always considerate and encouraging of diversity -- though preaching a solid faith.

I have a personal story about Mr. Falwell that comes from one of those conferences a few years back. It was Winterfest, a big teen New Year's thing held in the Vines Center (basketball arena), with about 7,000 teens and chaperones. At the time, there were some missionaries who had been captured in Africa who had made the news. A full day into the event, no one had mentioned the missionaries. At one break, Mr. Falwell had taken the stage to welcome everyone and talk about Liberty (no preaching, just a few comments). As he concluded, I walked down to the stage and asked to speak to him. They told him, and he came over to talk to me. I told him that I liked the event, but that I found it bothersome that with all the encouragement from the stage for following Christ and its personal cost, no one had mentioned the missionaries who were captured -- especially for prayer. Well, he was surprised to hear that, and said that he agreed; after some other talk, he said thank you and walked backstage. The very next person on the stage said that we had made a mistake that weekend not to discuss and pray for the missionaries who had been captured. We stopped the program and had a prayer right then and there.

I don't always agree with Mr. Falwell, but I don't always agree with anyone. I respect and admire the fact that he stood for what he believed in. And sometimes even had the courage to change his mind when he found himself to be wrong. Other times he stuck with his guns, no matter how unpopular his opinion.

And along the way, created a school and a legacy. And he never lived lavishly, either (something you can't say about most of his televangelist brethren).

RIP

Paul

jesserin

While Mr. Falwell has had some unpopular views on some things, he has most often stood up for his beliefs and put his money and heart where his mouth was. And when some of his statements went too far, he was man enough to reconsider and apologize (such as was the case with a statement about 9/11).

While there are things, thus, to criticize, I would like to remember today a man who put his faith into action. He built a fully accredited, 10,000-student university (Liberty University -- www.liberty.edu ) from the ground up. (They have several top-notch programs, including for example a nursing program that consistently has top grades in recent years among Virginia nursing students.)

As a youth director in a local church in the Richmond area, I have had several occasions to attend youth events hosted by Liberty (about 2 hours away); and I can say that the students and program leaders were always considerate and encouraging of diversity -- though preaching a solid faith.

I have a personal story about Mr. Falwell that comes from one of those conferences a few years back. It was Winterfest, a big teen New Year's thing held in the Vines Center (basketball arena), with about 7,000 teens and chaperones. At the time, there were some missionaries who had been captured in Africa who had made the news. A full day into the event, no one had mentioned the missionaries. At one break, Mr. Falwell had taken the stage to welcome everyone and talk about Liberty (no preaching, just a few comments). As he concluded, I walked down to the stage and asked to speak to him. They told him, and he came over to talk to me. I told him that I liked the event, but that I found it bothersome that with all the encouragement from the stage for following Christ and its personal cost, no one had mentioned the missionaries who were captured -- especially for prayer. Well, he was surprised to hear that, and said that he agreed; after some other talk, he said thank you and walked backstage. The very next person on the stage said that we had made a mistake that weekend not to discuss and pray for the missionaries who had been captured. We stopped the program and had a prayer right then and there.

I don't always agree with Mr. Falwell, but I don't always agree with anyone. I respect and admire the fact that he stood for what he believed in. And sometimes even had the courage to change his mind when he found himself to be wrong. Other times he stuck with his guns, no matter how unpopular his opinion.

And along the way, created a school and a legacy. And he never lived lavishly, either (something you can't say about most of his televangelist brethren).

RIP

Paul

I couldn't agree more.

He had his faults like everyone else... but he did alot of great things during his lifetime.

Including Liberty University. A great college, I've enjoyed numerous events there over the years and considered it for my education as well.

nothing to laugh at here... :(

EDIT: Paul, which Winterfest were you at? I went several years ago as well...

Wilt Dasney

He put himself out there and didn't mince words about his opinions, which always opens a person up for criticism.

I admire the strength it takes to stand up firmly on your convictions, even if I don't necessarily agree with those convictions.

On one level, Falwell's message is one that I think we all can find some agreement with. The idea that family and faith should come first in life is simple and hard to criticize.

On the other hand, spending a lot of your time criticizing other people for their moral choices doesn't seem to embody the love that Jesus commanded his followers to show. I also personally feel that being fixated with influencing politics -- inherently filled with compromises and dirty dealings -- is counterproductive to spreading the love of Christ.

Both of these embody him in my mind, so I'm not really happy or sad over this. I think he could have done more with his pulpit, but the fact that he was willing to do more than most of us ever will makes me respect him.

prberk

EDIT: Paul, which Winterfest were you at? I went several years ago as well...

I was at the first one, I think; which was about seven years ago (I think).

Then I was at one about 3 years ago, and this year.

All of them were pretty good. The first one had Toby Mac, who of course had gone to Liberty where he started DC Talk (music group) before he graduated.

This year's was the biggest ever, and it had Third Day and Hawk Nelson, and some skaters that were crazy but good. By the way, I had never heard them before, but Hawk Nelson (www.hawknelson.com) was a really good band. They are kind of ska/punk/pop. I especially like their song, "Hello."

This shows another side to Mr. Falwell that the media never shows: The man who hosted "The Old-Time Gospel Hour" was just as comfortable using "The NEW-Time Gospel" to reach a new generation, and often with variant but still Christian messages.

Paul

maggiegrace1

Regardless of what you think of him..He was a Son..a father..A husband and a friend to others..

People are suffering his loss tonight.
Let's at least try to respect them.

Wilt Dasney

Regardless of what you think of him..He was a Son..a father..A husband and a friend to others..

People are suffering his loss tonight.
Let's at least try to respect them.

Exactly. If he had been some kind of murderer or rapist, I'd understand some of these posts a little more, but he dealt in WORDS. I don't know of too many words someone could use that would make me disrespect a grieving family when they go.

Tramp

When members of this forum ask why politically threads are not allowed, point to this thread as an example of the types of immature comments that prevent political discourse among reasonably intelligent individuals.

I didn't agree with Reverend Falwell on all the issues but I certainly admired the courage of his moral convictions so lacking in most of our leaders today on all sides of the political spectrum...and, for that matter, in many of our fellow citizens too.

Rest in Peace, Reverend Falwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom