Jerk Gym Behavior

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Soooo.....I know we all go to the gym, right? ;)

Well, mine is New York Sports Club, and the members at this chain are something else. What is making me post this is the below notice, that was taped in the locker room today:

Sign.JPG
Yeah, that's fun, right? Thanks NYSC members. I was wondering why I had to take a shower and bathe with shampoo the other day. Yeah, I know, First World problems, but still.

As long as we (or I) are talking about gyms, let's also consider the following five gym sins (in my humble opinion):

1. Sitting on a machine like it is your private office, texting and emailing and doing who knows what else, but no lifting, while everyone is waiting to use the machine.

2. Putting a towel on a machine as if laying down your territory, and then going off to use other machines.

3. Not wiping your disgusting sweat off of the machine you just used.

sweaty-gym-equipment.jpg

4. Walking around naked in the locker room - this specifically seems to happen with people 65+ and over. I don't mean to be ageist, because we will all hopefully get there in age, but they just do not seem to give a crap any more and they just stumble around like the walking dead. They plop their naked butts on to public benches where other people put their stuff. I mean, come on.

5. Using the public blow dryer to blow dry your smelly gym socks, underwear, or anything other than the hair on your head. I've seen this multiple times, and I still don't know how it is okay.

Anyone else have gym sins? Or rebuttals to the above? Let's go. ;)

Nemo14

Soooo.....I know we all go to the gym, right? ;)

Well, mine is New York Sports Club, and the members at this chain are something else. What is making me post this is the below notice, that was taped in the locker room today:

View attachment 207855
Yeah, that's fun, right? Thanks NYSC members. I was wondering why I had to take a shower and bathe with shampoo the other day. Yeah, I know, First World problems, but still.

As long as we (or I) are talking about gyms, let's also consider the following five gym sins (in my humble opinion):

1. Sitting on a machine like it is your private office, texting and emailing and doing who knows what else, but no lifting, while everyone is waiting to use the machine.

2. Putting a towel on a machine as if laying down your territory, and then going off to use other machines.

View attachment 207859

4. Walking around naked in the locker room - this specifically seems to happen with people 65+ and over. I don't mean to be ageist, because we will all hopefully get there in age, but they just do not seem to give a crap any more and they just stumble around like the walking dead. They plop their naked butts on to public benches where other people put their stuff. I mean, come on.

5. Using the public blow dryer to blow dry your smelly gym socks, underwear, or anything other than the hair on your head. I've seen this multiple times, and I still don't know how it is okay.

Anyone else have gym sins? Or rebuttals to the above? Let's go. ;)

th

sheriffwoody

This KILLS me!!! Like, do people have no shame?! I am judging you, disgusting person, judging you so hard. If I can, I'll go dramatically wipe it down while I give them the side eye. Sometimes they high-tail it out too quickly though. But seriously. So gross.

4. Walking around naked in the locker room - this specifically seems to happen with people 65+ and over.
I think this is also a male thing. I've heard it from other guys, but never from women. And I've never seen anyone just chilling in the locker room naked. People change in there, but they don't linger without clothes. haha

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm on a cardio machine and someone chooses the one right next to me when there are 30 other empty ones that are not next to an occupied one. STAHP. Leave me alone. I hate you.

DisneyPrincess5

I can relate to (almost) everything. From my own experience and from the experience I've heard of the men's locker room, the nude walking and sitting seems to happen more often with the men at my gym than women. Halleluyer.

Something fun people like to do at my gym is place their towel onto the NEXT machine they're planning to use after the one they're currently on to save it. Niiiiiiice.

Also, it freaks me out when not only do people not wipe machines, so they're getting onto something dirty, but I watch people end their workouts and walk out all the time. For the love of everything that is holy, please people WASH YOUR HANDS before leaving the gym. You've just touched God knows what and then you don't wash, go into your car and touch everything else in your world. I swear this is how DH got the flu twice because he's a germaphobe everywhere else but the gym somehow (Won't pick up and eat a chip that falls on our own couch but will touch dirty machines then wipe his eyes :rolleyes:) Wash. Your. Hands.

End rant.

build_it

You really have to watch how the gym always waters down your drinks. I mean, a water chaser to keep away a hangover is one thing, but most gyms the drinks taste completely like water. I mean, BYOB? What do all my dues go to?

Side note: I'm tired of seeing 'Swiss cheese' underwear. If you can afford a gym membership, you can afford underwear without holes in it. I'm sure your mother told you....

21stamps

#1 #2 and #3 drive me nuts!!!

I haven't seen any women walk around naked, must be a guy thing.lol

Here's what I have to add-

Grunting. Just shut up.

Men who hit on women at the gym. Im sweaty, I'm out of breath, GTH away from me.

Gyms who have tanning beds/People who tan at the gym. Why?!?!

The 2 girls at yoga class who can lift their foot to their head.
This one is just jealousy on my part.lol

Lucky

Both of my gyms - at work and at the YMCA near home - have rules posted that include wiping off the machines and not resting on them between sets. But many people don't follow these, especially on monopolizing machines. And at the YMCA if you follow the rule and let someone work in, they're likely to take 5 minutes doing one long "set" with almost no weight, basically treating it like an aerobics machine.

Rowlet

I find it somewhat annoying when people take calls either on the floor or in the locker room and speak loudly instead of 1. taking the call outside, or 2. telling the other person "Hey, let me call you back in a few." I feel on the floor it affects me less because usually I have headphones on, but in the locker room it's just annoying.

Oh and of course, "locker room talk."

Sans Souci

I don't belong to a gym anymore, but when I did, there were certain things that annoyed me.

Certain people in the free weight area would hog all the weights they needed and keep them near to them. This guy was using 10 # weights for bicep curls and I asked if I could work in. He said no. But he was doing 15 reps and resting for three minutes in between sets. You don't need three minute rests for 10 # bicep curls. Even if he did, I could have finished my set within three minutes.

Men who do grunt-y shouts during lifts. I could hear them over my music. That's bad.

Men who pose and tense certain muscles while looking in the mirror. So totally swole, bruh. #gainz

This wasn't annoying, but there was this HS kid who would go on a recumbent bike. He brought his drum sticks with him and he would air drum while he was listening to his music and pedaling away. He looked like he was having a good time at least.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Wow, I did not expect to be coming back here so soon, but what happened today, I cannot believe.

New York Sports Club
Irving Place in NYC

I worked out hard today, which was particularly difficult since the air conditioner was not working. By the end of the workout, I was a total sweatball.

I went back to the locker room only to find that someone had stolen my shirt right off a coat hanger. Who does this? Who would steal someone's shirt? A stranger's shirt? Maybe I have all sorts of skin diseases that are very contagious (I don't), but you steal my shirt?? It was just a twenty dollar shirt from the freaking Gap. Holy ********

To be clear ----- all my other stuff was in a locker. They just have a coat hanger area where you can hang your shirts and coats so they don't get wrinkled.

So I had two choices - go back to work in a totally sweated out talk top, or go and buy a new shirt somewhere.

I work in Union Square, and they do not have many inexpensive stores there. Let's just make a long story short by saying that I ended up buying a $55.00 polo shirt (the cheapest thing they had in the store) from some men's clothing shop by my office.

Grrrrrrr.

Maybe time to look for a new gym.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wwo, I did not expect to be coming back here so soon, but what happened today, I cannot believe.

New York Sports Club
Irving Place in NYC

I worked out hard today, which was particularly difficult since the air conditioner was not working. By the end of the workout, I was a total sweatball.

I went back to the locker room only to find that someone had stolen my shirt right off a coat hanger. Who does this? Who would steal someone's shirt? A stranger's shirt? Maybe I have all sorts of skin diseases that are very contagious (I don't), but you steal my shirt?? It was just a twenty dollar shirt from the freaking Gap. Holy ********

To be clear ----- all my other stuff was in a locker. They just have a coat hanger area where you can hang your shirts and coats so they don't get wrinkled.

So I had two choices - go back to work in a totally sweated out talk top, or go and buy a new shirt somewhere.

I work in Union Square, and they do not have many inexpensive stores there. Let's just make a long story short by saying that I ended up buying a $55.00 polo shirt (the cheapest thing they had in the store) from some men's clothing shop by my office.

Grrrrrrr.

Buddy, just curious--did you report the theft to the gym? I would. They may (or may not) be aware that this is going on. I know that you sort of take your chances with items that are not locked up, but the gym also has a certain responsibility as well here. (I doubt your shirt was the only theft they've had, from the hanger section of the locker room.)

Minthorne

Wwo, I did not expect to be coming back here so soon, but what happened today, I cannot believe.

New York Sports Club
Irving Place in NYC

Grrrrrrr.

I'm sitting here smelling Buddy's shirt I took. ahhhh

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Buddy, just curious--did you report the theft to the gym? I would. They may (or may not) be aware that this is going on. I know that you sort of take your chances with items that are not locked up, but the gym also has a certain responsibility as well here. (I doubt your shirt was the only theft they've had, from the hanger section of the locker room.)
Yeah, I told the front desk and they sent me to the manager's office. He literally (well almost literally) gave me the shirt off his back. He tried to give me an extra shirt he had in his gym bag, but it was like 4 sizes too big. That was nice of him, though. They have signs posted all over the place that they are not responsible for any thefts, losses etc. It's no big deal because the shirt was cheap and a few years old, but the fact that someone took a stranger's shirt is bonkers. Ahhhhh!

NYwdwfan

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm on a cardio machine and someone chooses the one right next to me when there are 30 other empty ones that are not next to an occupied one. STAHP. Leave me alone. I hate you.
This holds true in ANY situation - seats on the train, parking spots, waiting area at the doctor's office - if there are enough open spots for a "buffer zone" I don't need you in my space.

See - this thread is why I workout at home. Nobody in my face, nobody else's sweat on my stuff and my shirts are always where I left them.

aw14

I have been a competitive powerlifter for a very long time, so I am not new to the gym scene.

Some of the issues expressed here are why I save my money and outfitted my basement with all my essentials and now I never leave my house to workout. I couldn't handle the nonsense. The straw that broke the camels back was many years ago I was doing sets of deadlifts, and since my level of weight might be more than others, I was told I was seeking attention. At that point I was done

build_it

Option 3 - Buddy's shirtless day in the office! If anyone asks, just tell them you didn't have time to change from your 'dancing' gig.
or ... tell them Phil had his stolen at the gym, and he had an important meeting, so you let him have yours. It might work ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom