Jelly Rolls/taking requests

steamboat wil

Original Poster
Hi all. I am traveling to the world in 10 days with my wife, two kids, and mother in- law. My mother in law said she would watch the kids on one night so as we are staying at the beach club, we thought we could stroll around the boardwalk and head to the piano bar. We love this and love making requests. Besides billy Joel's piano man or randy newmans friend in me what are some good songs with great piano playing? Also, what are other songs that would jam and be entertaining for some dueling pianos. Thanks for all your ideas.

GenerationX

A lot of artists feature prominent keyboards. They can play most of them, though they had never heard of "Nightswimming" by R.E.M. or "Straight into Darkness" by Tom Petty. At that point, I opted not to request any of my favorite Stranglers songs. The highlights of the evening for me were "Vienna" by Billy Joel and "Clocks" by Coldplay.

jlsHouston

well.. I can't think of a better piano player than Jerry Lee Lewis..saw him a couple of years ago, old and all bent over and he could still play that piano and he was still a dirty old man..

bethymouse

Anything Billy Joel, Elton John. Journey has nice piano parts in some songs. The Rose by Bette Midler. Scot Joplin's The Entertainer. Fallin' just to name a few...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are standard songs that you will hear almost every night at Jellyrolls. You are going to hear they typical myriad of Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffet, Styx, Elton John and Neil Diamond songs that you hear at every piano bar. What will really make the night interesting is to suggest a few not very common but not too obscure songs. What they typically want to play are upbeat songs, so go to some of the more popular songs by groups like Van Halen, The Ramones, Guns n Roses, Def Lepard, Aerosmith, or pretty much anything you would have heard on the radio in the last 30-40 years. Another good choice are TV theme songs.

As a CM we never requested Sweet Caroline but they always played it anyway and after he sings "Sweeeeet Caroliiine" instead of the Da-Da-Daaa part the enitire bar screams "This song Sucks!" Good times :D
Funny story about that....They had a place similar to Jellyrolls on the Magic that my wife and I went to almost every night of our 1st Disney Cruise. We had been to Jellyrolls a number of times and were quite use to the "This song sucks!" routine during Sweet Caroline. Well....they played Sweet Caroline on the first night we were there and at the da-da-daaa part the pianist says "You know the words!". My wife, and only my wife, screams out "This song sucks!. The whole place fell silent and the pianist recovered with "Well, we were looking for da-da-daaa but I guess yours version works to." To this day my wife turns red with embarrassment ever time she hears Sweet Caroline.

I_heart_Tigger

Funny story about that....They had a place similar to Jellyrolls on the Magic that my wife and I went to almost every night of our 1st Disney Cruise. We had been to Jellyrolls a number of times and were quite use to the "This song sucks!" routine during Sweet Caroline. Well....they played Sweet Caroline on the first night we were there and at the da-da-daaa part the pianist says "You know the words!". My wife, and only my wife, screams out "This song sucks!. The whole place fell silent and the pianist recovered with "Well, we were looking for da-da-daaa but I guess yours version works to." To this day my wife turns red with embarrassment ever time she hears Sweet Caroline.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to bite my tongue from doing the very same thing.

maxairmike

Be warned, the "policy" of at least two of the players is that if you want to hear Free Bird, the request better have a $100 bill with the napkin. I got quite a chuckle one night when someone yelled "Free Bird!" and one of the players mentioned that. I noticed a few people jokingly trying to get people to put in $20s towards it, but it never happened.

steamboat wil

Original Poster
My wife thought of todd rundgren "I saw the light" and I was thinking billy Preston "nothing from nothing". Thanks for the ideas. Love them, keep them coming.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
You haven't lived until you've seen Scotty (my favorite piano player there) do his HILARIOUS rendition of Rainbow Connection!!

Wesleyjohn

Funny story about that....They had a place similar to Jellyrolls on the Magic that my wife and I went to almost every night of our 1st Disney Cruise. We had been to Jellyrolls a number of times and were quite use to the "This song sucks!" routine during Sweet Caroline. Well....they played Sweet Caroline on the first night we were there and at the da-da-daaa part the pianist says "You know the words!". My wife, and only my wife, screams out "This song sucks!. The whole place fell silent and the pianist recovered with "Well, we were looking for da-da-daaa but I guess yours version works to." To this day my wife turns red with embarrassment ever time she hears Sweet Caroline.[/quote]

Hilarious.

Be warned, the "policy" of at least two of the players is that if you want to hear Free Bird, the request better have a $100 bill with the napkin. I got quite a chuckle one night when someone yelled "Free Bird!" and one of the players mentioned that. I noticed a few people jokingly trying to get people to put in $20s towards it, but it never happened.

Because its long? My question, is it worth the 100?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom