Jaws closing?

Timekeeper

So will JAWS be open *on* January 2? Or is January 1 its final day of operation?

Also, are the skippers backing off with the whole "no photography or videotaping" spiel given that plenty of people with knowledge of its closing will now be heavily documenting the attraction?

novawildcat18

I will be arriving on January 5th *sigh*. Yes, Jaws will be missed but I cannot contain my excitement about the rumored replacement. Sounds like the ideas are revolutionary and extremely exciting, especially because I am one of the world's biggest Harry Potter fans. But I would imagine that this new "London" area will be fun for even those who dislike Harry Potter.

rustysgirl

ahhh someone beat me to it, i was gonna say that they officially announced today it was more harry potter. :brick: seriously universal??

also to answer someone's question... i've read in a couple places that the very last time you will get to ride jaws will be on january 2 at 9 PM.

captainkidd

ahhh someone beat me to it, i was gonna say that they officially announced today it was more harry potter. :brick: seriously universal??

also to answer someone's question... i've read in a couple places that the very last time you will get to ride jaws will be on january 2 at 9 PM.

You're jumping the gun. All the article said is what has been known for some time - That they would be expanding WWOHP. It said nothing of where it would be.

freediverdude

This is the only problem I see with the situation. I could only imagine that they would have to do something like Disneyland does with the monorail. You would have no choice but to scan people before or after getting off the train into the other side of the park.

Don't you see?? This would be PERFECT for getting on the train! A train conductor would ask to see your ticket, check it, and hand it back to you just like you were boarding a real train (well you ARE boarding a real train actually, you're just handing the person a theme park ticket instead). Genius move to get people to buy a 2 park ticket and move people from park to park! Whoever thought of this should be promoted.

captainkidd

You hit the nail right on the head man. When it comes to attractions, a great ride is a great ride. My wife never read the Harry Potter books, doesn't like the movies (or fantasy in general), but thought Forbidden Journey was totally amazing and the best ride she has ever been on. Universal makes the most technologically advanced, most thrilling dark rides in the business right now and I can't wait to see what's next.

I don't agree with this. FJ is an OK ride, but I've only seen the first 2 films. No doubt, if I'd seen all of them, I'd enjoy it a whole lot more.

novawildcat18

We already know that HP will be expanding into the Sinbad/Poseidon show areas.

Well this makes logical sense, but what are they going to put in there? Assuming that the JAWS replacement is the "London" side of HP World, I can see them transforming some of the Lost Continent area into a Hogsmeade Hogwarts Express Station, but that won't take up all of the land. If they take over all of LC, what else would go in there?

Matpez

We already know that HP will be expanding into the Sinbad/Poseidon show areas.

We do?:shrug:
Guess what will be operating in 2012, Poseidon & Sinbad. Guess what won't, Amity/Jaws.
Now where could you start construction on a new land/attraction, where there are currently operating shows & attractions, or the site of a former one?

Bairstow

You're jumping the gun. All the article said is what has been known for some time - That they would be expanding WWOHP. It said nothing of where it would be.

Yep. Today's article only mentions the Hollywood Potter being built and the Florida Jaws closing.
No official word, yet, on what will replace the Florida Jaws.

Timekeeper

We do?:shrug:
Guess what will be operating in 2012, Poseidon & Sinbad. Guess what won't, Amity/Jaws.
Now where could you start construction on a new land/attraction, where there are currently operating shows & attractions, or the site of a former one?

Yes, we do. We don't know what or when, but sources from Universal Creative have indicated that these attractions will be going down for additional HP expansion.

Who promised you that Sinbad and Poseidon would be in operation throughout 2012? JAWS closure was officially announced with 30 days notice. Why would Sinbad or Poseidon be treated any differently? :shrug:

Matpez

Yes, we do. We don't know what or when, but sources from Universal Creative have indicated that these attractions will be going down for additional HP expansion.

Not trying to argue, but what "sources from Universal Creative"? Random forum posters claiming to have overheard/seen something? Sure, there has always been Potter expansion rumors. Those rumors simply assumed Lost Continent was the next to go.

Pioneer Hall

Don't you see?? This would be PERFECT for getting on the train! A train conductor would ask to see your ticket, check it, and hand it back to you just like you were boarding a real train (well you ARE boarding a real train actually, you're just handing the person a theme park ticket instead). Genius move to get people to buy a 2 park ticket and move people from park to park! Whoever thought of this should be promoted.

Until a family gets there and doesn't have the right media and it results in a lot of unhappiness. Let alone when one of the many foreign tour groups comes and a language barrier holds things up. Thematically it would be fine when it works, however I feel like it could be a mess logistically.

Matpez

Until a family gets there and doesn't have the right media and it results in a lot of unhappiness. Let alone when one of the many foreign tour groups comes and a language barrier holds things up. Thematically it would be fine when it works, however I feel like it could be a mess logistically.

You would have to think this was thought of and a solution proposed, maybe along the lines of using your ticket at a turnstile before ever entering the train station.

Timekeeper

Not trying to argue, but what "sources from Universal Creative"? Random forum posters claiming to have overheard/seen something? Sure, there has always been Potter expansion rumors. Those rumors simply assumed Lost Continent was the next to go.

Nothing was "overheard." It's important to understand that Universal does not operate like Disney. It's a much smaller universe (pun intended), where everybody knows everybody, and there are plenty of hands in the cookie jar. Individuals privy to information aren't only in distant buildings in other cities completely disconnected from the theme parks, but can also be found in portables in the parking lot. Once you understand the "backstage culture" of theme parks, especially Universal, and you are a part of that culture, you stop paying attention to gossip sites and rumors, and just enjoy the fact that you have some fun information a little bit ahead of the public, which really isn't that big of a deal because the public announcement will inevitably follow.

Also, I wouldn't consider myself to be a "random forum poster." I joined 10 years ago. :sohappy:

rustysgirl

guess i misunderstood then. i saw where everyone on their fb page was acting like it was confirmed as well.....and since this has been their first announcement since they announced it would suddenly be closing i assumed with everyone else it was going there. :shrug:

either way, i'm just upset that jaws is closing on such short notice. slowly but surely every attraction that i enjoyed at Uni is being taken away.

Matpez

Nothing was "overheard." It's important to understand that Universal does not operate like Disney. It's a much smaller universe (pun intended), where everybody knows everybody, and there are plenty of hands in the cookie jar. Individuals privy to information aren't only in distant buildings in other cities completely disconnected from the theme parks, but can also be found in portables in the parking lot. Once you understand the "backstage culture" of theme parks, especially Universal, and you are a part of that culture, you stop paying attention to gossip sites and rumors, and just enjoy the fact that you have some fun information a little bit ahead of the public, which really isn't that big of a deal because the public announcement will inevitably follow.

I actually quite agree with some of this and that is EXACTLY why I question your other statement.

Also, I wouldn't consider myself to be a "random forum poster." I joined 10 years ago. :sohappy:

Didn't accuse you personally, asked from where you "overhead it".

Either way, the future looks exciting! :wave:

Timekeeper

I actually quite agree with some of this and that is EXACTLY why I question your other statement.

Well, I think the lesson to be learned is that nothing is really set in stone until it's literally set in stone. Even if the person who looked at the blueprints or reviewed the vendor contracts turned around and communicated that information to me, it's still more or less a rumor until constructions begins. I've learned - and you can probably attest that - a lot can change, even at the last minute. That's why I try not to get too worked about about rumors, and instead focus on the present things that I enjoy but will be soon removed :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom