Jaws closing?

dave&di

Original Poster
I've heard rumours from various sourses today that Jaws will close for good January 2012? Anyone know anything. :(

Pioneer Hall

I feel that it has been rumored for a while, and someday it likely will considering the age of the attraction. I just think that the closing date rumor will keep getting pushed back until it officially happens. I think that Jan is a bit too soon at this point though because Universal will likely give a heads up before closing. They know the attraction has a following and probably wouldn't want the backlash of just closing it down one day.

Captain Chaos

It is closing January 2, 2012... As per the Universal Orlando Facebook Page:

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.

dave&di

Original Poster
It is closing January 2, 2012... As per the Universal Orlando Facebook Page:

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.

BOOO! :mad:

Captain Chaos

Bring on more Harry Potter, if that is what will replace Jaws... I'm sure whatever Universal puts there will step up the game even more....

Pioneer Hall

Yes, I stand corrected. Interesting move, but I hope they announce something in the not too distant future. Closing that big area of the park and letting it sit would just seem somewhat foolish.

GLaDOS

Yes, I stand corrected. Interesting move, but I hope they announce something in the not too distant future. Closing that big area of the park and letting it sit would just seem somewhat foolish.

I'm sure they wouldn't have closed it if they didn't already know what was replacing it.

Jrn14

I'm actually really bummed about Jaws... What it lacked in thrills and technology it made up for in charm. I maybe in the minority, but this ride often made me jump and I thought it was one of the most entertaining rides to watch the crowd reactions. I actually love the look and feel of that whole area of the park... Very very sad... I fear for ET :(

I doubt it will be Harry Potter coming to US as he is over in Island of Adventures I would think it would be silly to have the Harry Potter area in two sepearte parks... It should all stay in IOA.

Why couldn't it have been Twister!!! or Teminator!

Or even Disaster or Rip Ride Rocket. ( I would trade them for Jaws) :(

dave&di

Original Poster
I'm actually really bummed about Jaws... What it lacked in thrills and technology it made up for in charm. I maybe in the minority, but this ride often made me jump and I thought it was one of the most entertaining rides to watch the crowd reactions. I actually love the look and feel of that whole area of the park... Very very sad... I fear for ET :(

I doubt it will be Harry Potter coming to US as he is over in Island of Adventures I would think it would be silly to have the Harry Potter area in two sepearte parks... It should all stay in IOA.

Why couldn't it have been Twister!!! or Teminator!

Or even Disaster or Rip Ride Rocket. ( I would trade them for Jaws) :(

I totally agree with your view on the attractions, Lose Twister, Disaster, even MIB but leave Jaws. I have a phobia of ET so have never been on it!

I'm guessing Jaws will be a building site for when I'm there next Sept! :mad:

Jrn14

I totally agree with your view on the attractions, Lose Twister, Disaster, even MIB but leave Jaws. I have a phobia of ET so have never been on it!

I'm guessing Jaws will be a building site for when I'm there next Sept! :mad:

Yeah I do enjoy Disaster and maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction... I know it's more advanced and probably more popular, but I just feel more attached to Jaws. I almost said MIB too, but I think it's just because I hate the exeterior of the ride. The actual ride is a favorite of mine, best shooter ride i've been on, but I just think it's ugly from the outside... while the Jaws area is very aestically pleasing.

ET is awesome, but if truly are terrorfied of ET probably not the right ride for you... Think of it as a longer bigger version of Peter Pan.

dave&di

Original Poster
Yeah I do enjoy Disaster and maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction... I know it's more advanced and probably more popular, but I just feel more attached to Jaws. I almost said MIB too, but I think it's just because I hate the exeterior of the ride. The actual ride is a favorite of mine, best shooter ride i've been on, but I just think it's ugly from the outside... while the Jaws area is very aestically pleasing.
ET is awesome, but if truly are terrorfied of ET probably not the right ride for you... Think of it as a longer bigger version of Peter Pan.

I love the Amity area :(

I've watched the ET ride on the Internet, NO WAY will I ever do it!

I think I will have Uni covered in about 1 hour when I visit next Sept! Hope Despicable Me is worth it, there's nothing else to look forward to!

71jason

I doubt it's a coincidence that Screamscape just heard WWoHP 2.0 construction begins in February.

The Spirit called it a couple months ago--Diagon Alley in US, with a train to IoA.

dave&di

Original Poster
I doubt it's a coincidence that Screamscape just heard WWoHP 2.0 construction begins in February.

The Spirit called it a couple months ago--Diagon Alley in US, with a train to IoA.

I agree, it sounded plausible back then and it certainly does now! I'm not keen tbh, I like WWOHP and would not mind them extending the actual area, but stretching it out to Uni is an overload IMO.

Pete C

If they made a train ride between the Jaws area and WWoHP it would be the most awful train ride of all time. There is nothing but parking and studio backlots between the two...no green space. I think HP might get split between the parks now, which I didn't think they would do before, but I don't see how they can do a train.

It just seems odd to me that they are going to keep the rest of Lost Continent alive when they could have used that space instead. However, money talks and Harry Potter makes a lot of money.

GLaDOS

If they made a train ride between the Jaws area and WWoHP it would be the most awful train ride of all time. There is nothing but parking and studio backlots between the two...no green space. I think HP might get split between the parks now, which I didn't think they would do before, but I don't see how they can do a train.

Screens instead of windows....:shrug:

daikonjam

I'm very sad to see jaws go :( I wouldn't ride t when I was a kid but I love it now, it always makes me jump! The whole amity area is adorable too... Thy better not touch ET!! That's one of the only kids rides and it's one of my favorites, better than Peter pan, and I freaking love pp.

Also I'm an avid Harry potter fan, bug I think putting it in both parks would be wayy overkill. Hopefully they do some thing smart with the space.

71jason

"Overkill" maybe, but there are still lines just to get into the land itself during busy periods, 1.5 years after opening. You can't be surprised they want to expand.

Re: the train, screens rather than windows would be interesting. Reading between the lines of what the Spirit wrote, and knowing what a stickler for detail JK Rowling has been, I suspect she put the kibosh on using the rest of LC for Diagon Alley because it makes no sense story-wise for it to be across a walkway from Hogsmeade. She seems to take this re-creation very seriously.

Pioneer Hall

Screens instead of windows....:shrug:

I could see this as a possibility if the idea does come to fruition. They can make you see what they want you to see this way and I am sure it can be done very realistically.

"Overkill" maybe, but there are still lines just to get into the land itself during busy periods, 1.5 years after opening. You can't be surprised they want to expand.

Re: the train, screens rather than windows would be interesting. Reading between the lines of what the Spirit wrote, and knowing what a stickler for detail JK Rowling has been, I suspect she put the kibosh on using the rest of LC for Diagon Alley because it makes no sense story-wise for it to be across a walkway from Hogsmeade. She seems to take this re-creation very seriously.

She does, but that doesn't mean there haven't been some leeway in the name of profitability. Ollivander's is not located in Hogsmeade in the books, it is in Diagon Alley.

As a guest, the idea sounds pretty cool if it plays out as rumors might suggest. However, if I were Universal I would be somewhat concerned about putting so many eggs in one basket. Harry is insanely popular now, but in a few years might it be considered over saturated? If this franchise has the staying power of Star Wars then it will pan out, otherwise Uni might be making large investments for a relatively short term gain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom