Japan tarps and walls - forever!

askmike1

.I've heard Catmull is VERY concerned with the amount of confidential information turning up on the Web the very same day it's told to animators, imagineers, artists & executives.
What exactly does Catmull have to do with WDI or anything about the parks? He is in charge of animation, just that. And in a field like this, I'd be very surprised if anything can be so 'tight-lipped' that we don't here anything about it.

juan

I think he's concerned with moreso animation leaks
look so far at the similarities:
Madagascar & The Wild
Flushed Away & Ratatouille

(I know that The Wild is a CORE animation film, but released by Disney and actually created before Madagascar but released afterwards)

Space Mountain

I ask.. again...

Why is Japan under tarps and refurbishment walls?

I mean, it's obvious the place needs refurbishment. However, the pavilion has been behind tarps for what is now nearing a year.

I have images dated back in May 2006 when they "unveiled" the highest southeast tower with the new paintjob and that's still all that is done. That alone took months and months of work. (I was already refering to the work as me "nemesis" because it was seemingly long and drawn out without a point and elusive.)

So they have been working on this building for heaven knows how long...

They've gone and hung these big hempy-twine (raffia?) braided decorations in the gateways that lead into the back of the pavilion. Those are new and interesting looking.

Otherwise, the one tower is all that is done, the opposing tower has not been touched and is still untarped. The rest of the building inbetween them is all covered in tarps though. That's been that way for a while (and might stay that way forever at this rate) and then the Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki is scheduled to close for Jan 15-May 25.

If they close the restaurant on the second floor, wont they also close the shop underneath? It's a definate possibility. There's nothing structural that wouldn't allow them to block off the windows of the restaurant and keep it operating if they were jsut redoin the fascade... so it must be replacing major elements.

What on earth would people go into the pavilion for during those 4.5 months?

It's been a year.. what are they doing? It had better be worth it.

All I know for sure is that there is a new conference room / break room being constructed on the 3rd floor. (Exactly what has been mentioned by another poster here in another topic.)

My guess is that it is covered over most of the front to cover up construction equipment and to block guests from seeing a giant wreck in the Japan area. The tarp makes it seem somewhat more tidy IMO, so thats just my 2 cents on this.

goofyfan13

Was at Epcot tonight at around 7, and noticed that they had quite a few lights on underneath the tarps the rest of the night. Not sure if it was anything important, just something interesting I noticed.

Original19

What exactly does Catmull have to do with WDI or anything about the parks? He is in charge of animation, just that....

He's part of the new Disney Brass. He's high on the corporate ladder, he's well liked by WDI, and he's influential. But, most importantly, he and Iger and Lasseter agree; too much leaking of important info is going on.

However, I have yet to see any of these supposed layoffs in WDI. I don't know if you remember but, Lasseter let it be known that he had plans to weed out WDI and bring it down to only its core employees. Everything then was supposed to be "farmed out" on a job-by-job basis (lead by this new core team). So far... hasn't happened...

Anybody else remember that rumor?

...in a field like this, I'd be very surprised if anything can be so 'tight-lipped' that we don't here anything about it.

Don't be so sure...

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
...even under the new, tight lipped, ultra secretive managment stylings of EdCatmull, John Lasseter and Bob Iger?

no-lookie-loos.jpg

?
Where did you take that picture? I want to take one too and place it on my posts....

napnet

We ate at up in Teppanyaki on Dec 6th and you could barely see behind a bit of the tarps.. basically all i saw was paint equipement and scafolding

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom